Harmony Remote Control

Status
Please reply by conversation.

derdude

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 10, 2004
Has anybody used any of the Harmony Remote Controls for there FTA system?
If so, how do you like it?

I have two Harmony 680's and have one of them set to control my Fortec FTA box. Works fine, but I did have to learn some commands manually into the remote (such as SAT and SIG).

One quirk I noticed was this summer when my portable AC unit (rollaround type with hose to window, I believe it's a GE) responded to the Harmony's Fortec commands as well (but not if I used the original Fortec remote!!). It got to be a little confusing to have the on/off timer on the GE changed every time I flipped channels on the Fortec....

I recently tried to get my other Harmony to control my Pansat 3500, but either the Harmony database has the wrong codes or I did something wrong.. Will be playing around with it again this weekend.

Hope this helps,
Robbert

I have noticed in my travels that alot of the universal remote controls have a code for pansats. Not sure if they work though. I have never seen a code for fortecs on any of the cheap ones. I always go for the learning remotes, then I can program them the way I like.

Well.. The nice thing about the Harmony is that you can "teach" it every single key using the original remote, but it's a bit of a process with the web-interface. I personally would have liked it a lot better if the Harmony setup was a standalone application where you didn't have to wait for every page to load before you can go on.... (and yes, I do have broadband, but the Harmony site seems to be slow lately.. Lots of people buying Harmony's???) :)

The web-based approach has been chosen by Harmony so you could have the most up-to-date device database, as it is updated daily based on customer input. Plus, the web-based update also loads a program guide into the remote. I agree web-based configuration is not very convenient, but then again, you don't have to use it too often.

The biggest advantages, of Harmony compared to many other brands, IMO are:

1. Activity-based control (vs. device-based control). It so much easier to select an activity like "Watch TV" or "Watch DVD", so that for the first time ever my entire family can control my entire A/V system. ;)

2. SmartState Technology. The remote remembers the state of each component, which is especially helpful for components that do not have discrete codes!

They also have a very good technical support. Don't hesitate to call them with your questions.

I have a 628, and its programmed to control my Frankenciever with the Fortec Ultra software loaded on it. It works well, and had all of the commands on their website.

I don't use mine with it regularly, but I had programmed it and it worked great. (Fortec Lifetime Ultra)

Status
Please reply by conversation.