Harmony Remotes vs 622 remote

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

EricBskiVT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Are there any universal remotes that will work as replacements for the 622 TV2 remote, such as the Harmony 880 or 890? My reason for asking is that the 622 remote can't do much more than power our Sceptre HDTV on and off. The Harmony remotes can provide full function for the TV and DVD recorder, but not sure about the TV2 622 remote.

I use a Harmony 880 for my main remote (TV1) and it works great. I had to teach it the DVR command for my 722 but otherwise it knows everything. If you want to use it for TV2, you will need an RF remote which I think the 890 is. I haven't used it though. My TV2 is just in my exercise room and I don't need the functionality of the Harmony in there.

Yea, the 890 is what you need if you need a great remote with RF (for TV2 622). I recommend the 880/890 Harmony's to everyone.

My Harmony 880 controls my ViP622, TV, Onkyo 805, DVD player and (unused) VCR. It also "sets up" for my PS3 Blu-ray player, although I need to use the PS3 remote to control playing Blu-rays, since the PS3 uses Bluetooth.

Works great! And I can shift from one function, like Dish, to another, like DVDs, without cycling the TV on and off. This is important for those of us with RPTVs, which use bulbs and need cool down cycles before being turned on again.

We have had several threds on this. I am in the minority in thinking that the 880 in particualr does not have enough buttosd for the DVR functions. Most who have commented think it is great.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I actually have the Harmony 520 so I am aware of the capabilities. We used it extensively until we got out VIP622. Now my wife doesn't want to use anything but the VIP remotes. I personally think they are great (especially when compared to the HR20 remote), but they have limitations with function for the new brands (Vizio, Sceptre, Oppo) of home entertainment. I've read reviews of the 5xx Harmony series where they rave about the sleek style of the series versus the "cumbersome style of the 8xx series, but I think the larger dumbbell shapes are easier to use because of the larger buttons.
Naturally, my wife gets frustrated when she wants to watch a DVD or switch to Home Theater mode for NASCAR races and can't figure out how to do it with the VIP remote. :) If she was using the Harmony, it would just be a single button. She tries to use it occasionally, but then it turns off the equipment that is already on because she didn't use it to fire the system up initially (I also have an RPTV). She doesn't like the 520 because of the small buttons.

Try to get her to use the Harmony to do the initial activity and then she can use the VIP remote. Then just have her use the off on the Harmony. That will give the best of both worlds.

I use a Harmony 676 with TV1 on a VIP722. Works quite well for the TV and the satellite receiver, but I need to get around to configuring it to work well with a Panasonic DVD recorder.

The Harmony 890 WILL NOT WORK FOR TV2.

The ONLY REMOTE TO WORK FOR TV2 is the Dish one.

Remotes that utilise RF only use it to communicate with an IR repeater.

My Harmony 880 controls my ViP622, TV, Onkyo 805, DVD player and (unused) VCR. It also "sets up" for my PS3 Blu-ray player, although I need to use the PS3 remote to control playing Blu-rays, since the PS3 uses Bluetooth.
Sounds like you need the PlayStation 3 Blu Wave Remote by Nyko (check Amazon.com, among others). For less than 20 bucks, you can use your Harmony to control BR-DVD functions, too.

yes, picked up one of those myself. It will teach the Harmony to run the PS3 but there is no on/off function, still have to use the controller for that.

Harmony needs to get off the cheap and make remotes that are larger with larger buttons. I don't have huge hands but the tiny buttons get on my nerves sometimes. And the 880 with the long, thin buttons are more stylish than utilitarian. I'm OK with my 880 but not crazy about it. I much prefer the MX-700.

Try to get her to use the Harmony to do the initial activity and then she can use the VIP remote. Then just have her use the off on the Harmony. That will give the best of both worlds.
Our Harmony is mostly for just switching between modes (satellite, xbox 360, ps3, dvd player, another dvd player, htpc, regular tv, play ipod, play radio). When we're in satellite mode, the wife prefers to use the VIP remote for it all (it plays, pauses, and does volume up/down/mute on the stereo).

I use a Harmony 676 with TV1 on a VIP722. Works quite well for the TV and the satellite receiver, but I need to get around to configuring it to work well with a Panasonic DVD recorder.

I have a Panasonic ES15S DVD recorder and the Harmony works it fine. My 676 worked on it and so does my 880. Anything the 880 isn't hard-buttoned for you can soft button.

Sounds like you need the PlayStation 3 Blu Wave Remote by Nyko (check Amazon.com, among others). For less than 20 bucks, you can use your Harmony to control BR-DVD functions, too.

Tawhite said it best, in reply. I'm hoping there will be a better version at some point in the future. So many are sold, and so many are using it for Blu-ray viewing, there's a market that's got to attract more products.

But thanks anyway.

At least I'm down to only 2 remotes.

I use an 880 on my 622. i tried the other day to use the VIP remote, and found it to be a pain. page up/down is a really big pain. The 880 lets me control the critical stuff (guide, info, cancel, page up/down, cursor, volume/mute, channels, pause, FF, rew) all within the reach of my thumb. i set up the custom buttons so that Live and DVR are the bottom two of the 8 custom buttons, and i'm all set that way. only thing i really have to reach for is PIP and PIP swap on the row above Live and DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts