Harvested a 10 footer today.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsa2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Arkansas, USA
So far I have found maybe 15 dishes out driving in the last few weeks. It's funny how dishes you never noticed before you catch out of the corner of your eye when you have dish fever.

So the other day I am driving home from work and it is almost dark. Out of the corner of my eye I spot a dish behind a tire shop. Just the outline b/c its dusk. I went by today to ask about it and he say's he is tired of mowing around it get it out of there.

I don't think I am going to use this one it is in bad shape. I have never seen rust like this on a dish before. This must have been installed in the early days b/c man look at this!

10 ft rusty button hook.
ff9z5t.jpg2zs8x3s.jpg2cgnhjn.jpg

You can tell which panel was on the bottom! I probly should have left it but I figured I remove it anyway since all it cost was 2 hours and a bloody knuckle.

I figured if the actuator was good I would use it eventually. Unfortunately water made its way inside the motor and it was a mess in there. One of the magnets was loose inside and I broke the rear bushing getting it apart. Such a shame it had a hall effect sensor "super sensor."

All the brands have worn off the dish and motor so no idea what either is.

I guess if I ended up with a dish that has a hole knocked in it I will have some extra mesh.

I haven't taken the feed cover off but I peeked in there past the birds nest and its an old chaparal

Hey atleast I got good practice dissembling a dish and can verify it all fits in a Sonoma.
The search will continue!

I really don't mind surface rust. But structural damage is too much. It is almost all the way through it. I need this lady up the street here to come to her senses and let me have the 10 foot SAMI thats in here yard. She told me $150 remove the pole, buy a square of sod to fix the spot and I could take it. No thanks!

OUCH! My steel BUD (very similar looking) has a patina of surface rust here and there. But nothing like that. Have 'scotch brite'ed here and there with a bit 'o spray can paint now and then. If you don't move it, to poor the water out of the lower outer ring I can imagine it wouldn't take too long to rust through. Or split it when it freezes.
The mount itself may be worth keeping. Mate a 6ft Ku offset to it ??

If it's only rotted through along the bottom of that bottom panel it might not be all that bad, flat black paint does wonders sometimes. If it's too far gone, then it's a good organ donor! Two hours for a feed, mount and actuator parts isn't bad! :)

Maybe you could beef it up with something , if the ends are ok on that rusty place. Clamp/bolt something to it? I haven't gotten that desperate yet but if I needed a 10' and that's all I could find, I would try something, lol. That 10' sami might be worth that lady's price-considering what the last new ones were going for. IF it's in good shape.

$150 isn't that bad of a price, if you get the pole with it, and nothing is wrong with the rest of it.

How much entertainment and for how many years will you get out of it for that? I took myself, my wife, my son, and my father out for dinner at Olive Garden end of last month for the son and wife's birthdays (celebrated the same day, even though they are 5 days apart) and it cost me over $95. That food is long gone from my stomach, but that $95 would be 3/4's of the way to the price she's asking for her dish... That dish is a better deal compared to what I got for my money...

And the moral is: Don't go to Olive Garden?

I completely DETEST Olive Garden, but since my wife let my son pick the restaurant the last couple of years (Red Lobster), I had to let her choose this year, and SMILE about it. I HATE pasta, and that's pretty much 99% of what they have. I had the "Parmesan Fish", and got a small piece of fish with parmesan on it, and some broccoli that they let grow a little too long, so was hard as a rock. $15.95!. They couldn't even provide any tartar sauce, AND they told me they had NO mayonnaise in the entire restaurant! Can you imagine a restaurant that doesn't even have any mayonnaise? The fish was good as it was, but not $15.95 good.

I completely DETEST Olive Garden, but since my wife let my son pick the restaurant the last couple of years (Red Lobster), I had to let her choose this year, and SMILE about it. I HATE pasta, and that's pretty much 99% of what they have. I had the "Parmesan Fish", and got a small piece of fish with parmesan on it, and some broccoli that they let grow a little too long, so was hard as a rock. $15.95!. They couldn't even provide any tartar sauce, AND they told me they had NO mayonnaise in the entire restaurant! Can you imagine a restaurant that doesn't even have any mayonnaise? The fish was good as it was, but not $15.95 good.

You should have had the "chicken marsala". Stuffed or unstuffed it's terrific. My wife can make a meal on just the salad and one garlic bread stick...

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

$150 isn't that bad of a price, if you get the pole with it, and nothing is wrong with the rest of it.

How much entertainment and for how many years will you get out of it for that? I took myself, my wife, my son, and my father out for dinner at Olive Garden end of last month for the son and wife's birthdays (celebrated the same day, even though they are 5 days apart) and it cost me over $95. That food is long gone from my stomach, but that $95 would be 3/4's of the way to the price she's asking for her dish... That dish is a better deal compared to what I got for my money...

Yeah I am sure it probly worth it especially if the actuator is good. It is just hard not to be frugal in this economy and still have about 14 other dishes to check on before I shell out alot of cash. I used a 10 foot Sami way back in the old analog days... early 90s til '97. Was a good dish but come to find out wasn't tornado proof...... I suppose it is in Oz somewhere now!

My Winegard dish has an aluminum frame but it did suffer some bulging from rain water accumulating in the tube then freezing. When I found that I drilled some 1/8" holes around the bottom to allow the water to run out and that fixed that problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)