Has any one else seen 'screen freeze'

garlandtxuser

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Garland, Texas
On many occasions, more often as time goes on, I have noticed that the screen will lock while the sound continues with the current programming. This mostly happenes on my main unit but has begun happening on my bedroom unit. This morning, during the weather on local channel 8 the screen on the main unit 'froze' on the weather map and the bedroom unit, when turned on, had a black screen. The solution is to turn off the reciever then back on again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Could there be something wrong with my devices?:confused:

Have you tried unplugging the problem units? I was having a problem with one of my STBs the other day, but unplugging it for several minutes and then plugging it back in fixed it. Initially I just unplugged it for a few seconds, but that didn't seem to do anything. It may not solve your problem, but it is probably something that Verizon will ask you to do should you need to call for service and you'll be one step ahead of them this way. :)

Have you tried unplugging the problem units? I was having a problem with one of my STBs the other day, but unplugging it for several minutes and then plugging it back in fixed it. Initially I just unplugged it for a few seconds, but that didn't seem to do anything. It may not solve your problem, but it is probably something that Verizon will ask you to do should you need to call for service and you'll be one step ahead of them this way. :)

Actually, the problem goes away once I turn off the box then turn it back on. The problenm is that this is not a long term fix; in other words the problem happens over and over again. While I can power cycle the device, I do not think that this will 'fix' the problem because I have had power outages, one for over an hour, since this problem began and the problem still persists.

Again, this is not something that stays there, a simple power off and back on fixes it. It is just very annoying to be watching a show and all of the sudden you get a screen with some actors mug stuck in a silly pose in the foreground and the show continuing audiably in the background. :eek:

I haven't seen that on FIOS, but I did with my old Comcast service. It's probably a signal quality issue. Give Verizon a call, so far the people they have sent out to my house have actually known what they are doing and have signal meters. Go figure, signal meters. :) I never knew how Comcast determined my signal strength was good without a meter.

-John

Fix to a few issues...

Try hitting the "Live TV" button on your remote. I have found that this often fixes unexplained issues like yours.

I haven't seen that on FIOS, but I did with my old Comcast service. It's probably a signal quality issue. Give Verizon a call, so far the people they have sent out to my house have actually known what they are doing and have signal meters. Go figure, signal meters. :) I never knew how Comcast determined my signal strength was good without a meter.

-John

Thanks for the suggestion. The signal was checked on the main unit when it was replaced a few months back and there would be no reason for a degradation in that short a period of time, but I can get access ot a meter and check without having them come out. It would be really odd to have a signal problem on 2 devices since they are both honed back to the central wiring closet in the house.

I really don't think that is the problem but I wont rule it out. Just curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

You might want to go unplug and "reboot" the black box that feeds your tv's. That's what a tech had me do to solve another problem and MAYBE it would work.

Garland-
I'm thinking that there may just be a few bugs within the software for the DVR's that could be causing your screen freeze issue.

Unfortunately, I guess it could be a number of other things as well, but I wouldn't throw that out the window.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)