Has anyone got a signal greater than 85% signal strenth?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is NO standard for signal strength - hence each manufacture sets his own. I have seen one receiver (Topfield) show 100% while another one (Fortec Mercury II) show 62% on the exact same dish and set up. So you can only compare like receivers to like receivers.
Bob

I don't know that I place a lot of value in that signal strength rating either. On 87W LPB I can see around a max of 75 on my MicroHD and then at some points in the day it will drop down to the 30s while the other TPs on that satellite stay solid. I do lose LPB occasionally while the other stations stay constant. I don't think that I have ever seen above 75 on any TP with the MicroHD. I would like to know if that is common. This is the same whether I am at home or at my hunting camp. Both are MicroHD and both on the most recent firmware with the same common 90cm dish that is widely pointed to in these forums.

I was informed I received an Amiko Mini HD SE in the mail today so I will check that when I get home on Sunday/Monday and give a comparison if I am not too busy playing.

If you are looking for a channel to find the maximum your receiver will display for SQ, I off-hand can't think of any channel that is stronger than the Patient Channel 11801 H 2686 on 87W (SES-2). It maxes out both my Pansat at 99 (the highest it will go) and my AZBox at 100.

The size of the dish and the LNB performance will also affect the S and Q numbers. I have never seen anything over Q 76 on the S9 and thats with a 33" at 125W on the encryted channels.

85% is the highest I have ever saw, any signal on the MHD. That is not a bad thing, it is just the way the receiver shows Q. Like was stated already all chip-sets in receivers are set a different way. If you are getting 70's on your mHD you have a great signal.

It would be nice if the receivers diaplayed the BER or CNR as well as the quality. The first two are a much better reflection of the signal quality than the algorithm that the STB firmware uses.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It would be nice if the receivers diaplayed the BER or CNR as well as the quality. The first two are a much better reflection of the signal quality than the algorithm that the STB firmware uses.

The MicroHD does this if you hit the "Signal" button on the top middle of the remote.

I agree, it would be very nice, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Remember these chip-sets are designed mostly for markets outside of NA. In other parts of the world they have more issues to worry about, like a receiver that will not hold more than 5000 channels.

Reactions: FaT Air
Maybe thinking of another STB? The microHD doesn't display CNR or BER readings. That firmware was never in public release.
Thanks for the clarification Titanium. I didnt have quick access to my micro. I just snapped a photo of the signal screen showing just the signal and quality.

Attachments

• 1403980126109.jpg
    1403980126109.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 196
Well, maybe not exactly, but the bar graph it shows fakes it pretty well.

Pressing the "signal" button just gives you a 5 second history, of the quality reading. This can help in aiming with a visual representation.

I get 65%Q on (11810 H 11148 S2 8PSK FEC 1/2 Pilot on) the LPBS TP, 87W. Lots of margin with 1/2 FEC. 36" dish and Ax Ultra.

My Sathero sh200 shows me BER and CNR I believe. Nice to have the CNR, once you zero out the BER you can still fine-tune a bit. To bad these readings were not implemented in the uHD for us hobbyists. Maybe we will can hope to see that in one of the Amiko models?

We have a great opportunity on these forums. We can put our requests in writing for the people who have some influence on the developers. I look forward to an Amiko that has the support of some of the people that I have great respect for.

Reactions: Titanium
As noted above each manufacturer has different signal QUALITY numbers
Pansat would show 99
Satworks would show maybe 45 for a strong signal
Micro I've seen 90 on a DVB-S2 TP back a couple years ago

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts