Has anyone seen a HITS system?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I was just wondering if anyone had seen the HITS satellite system.

The service is on G 16.

I was told that it is for cable companies to resell as digital service.

Yup this is where many cable companies get their "Digital Cable" channels, they just put up pods without the need for any special encoding equipment.

http://www.hits.com/

Every time I see/read about HITS it makes me laugh; because of how cable tries to make it sound like satellite is so bad, yet they rarely explain that this is where they get much of their programming from.

Oh and add the very fact they helped ruin the BUD home user market, so they wouldn't have meaningful competition directly from the source. With all the new tech surrounding toroidal / multi-LNB dishes; I wish they would start more home user R&D and make a comeback so we could have the choices again!

The WSNet/Loral/HITS collaboration was a fiasco. I installed my ESPNs at one property using HITS because WSNet offered to give the property more favorable rates for having done so, but realistically, the DRD910 receivers (if I even remember the model number correctly) cost maybe $200 per receiver and were as big as VCRs.

I never looked into it, but I thought that those boxes could be used as subscriber units, and I think that the 30Mhz wide, 4PSK transponders could be "transcoded" into 6Mhz wide, 64QAM cable channels. Even if I had a monopoly on a thousand unit apartment complex, I don't think I'd ever get involved in a fiasco in which I furnished and supported $200 cable boxes for each and every unit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)