Has anyone seen the new wireless set top box from ATT Uverse?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
With this you can put an extra TV where ever you want. And you can move it anytime. It uses WiFi from the main Uverse box to send video anywhere in the house, or even back yard or garage.

Too bad Dish didn't think of making a product like this.... Wait... Wait... They did!! It's called the Sling Extender.... Wait... Wait... Never mind.:mad:

steve4810 said:
With this you can put an extra TV where ever you want. And you can move it anytime. It uses WiFi from the main Uverse box to send video anywhere in the house, or even back yard or garage.

Too bad Dish didn't think of making a product like this.... Wait... Wait... They did!! It's called the Sling Extender.... Wait... Wait... Never mind.:mad:

Maybe Dish is working on it and just isn't telling else. Who knows.

I have played with the UVERSE Wireless Box and can say its not as good as you think... Wifi has a lot of dead spots in most peoples houses and it does not perform real well in the testing I did. In fact the person whos setup I tested moved back to wired access for that box just because of the issues it had.

Now when his wife is cooking dinner he can still watch TV. :)

I have played with the UVERSE Wireless Box and can say its not as good as you think... Wifi has a lot of dead spots in most peoples houses and it does not perform real well in the testing I did. In fact the person whos setup I tested moved back to wired access for that box just because of the issues it had.

I would never trust wireless for HDTV.

Maybe the Beta testers(if it got that far) for Sling Extender reported the same and that's why it was killed.

I sling my 722K to my tablet and even in house on the same "n" router, full on HD doesn't work too well. But on the 10" screen one step down in bandwidth works fine and looks great. But I suppose if somebody hooked it up to a 60" they be on the phone to Dish in an instant.

Too bad. Yet another dream crushed to dust. And I've failed to give charlie the benefit of the doubt.

steve4810 said:
Maybe the Beta testers(if it got that far) for Sling Extender reported the same and that's why it was killed.

I sling my 722K to my tablet and even in house on the same "n" router, full on HD doesn't work too well. But on the 10" screen one step down in bandwidth works fine and looks great. But I suppose if somebody hooked it up to a 60" they be on the phone to Dish in an instant.

Too bad. Yet another dream crushed to dust. And I've failed to give charlie the benefit of the doubt.

I have a peerless hds100 wireless multimedia center for my house and it works great. It's a little on the costly side though.

I have a peerless hds100 wireless multimedia center for my house and it works great. It's a little on the costly side though.
From a quick look at Amazon's listing it seems to do just as you say.

That means WiFi per se is completely able to pass 1080p HDTV so Sling can't lean on that crutch.

By the way it's marked down $94.00 to $389.00. Not so very pricey for what you get. But not cheap either.

My sister has ATT at her house, and besides the fact she can only watch HD on one TV, the Wifi itself is really spotty, even when you're close to the unit. When I saw the commercial for the WiFi ATT box, my first thought was unless they upgraded their WiFi routers, that this was going to be loser. Homeplug technology just seems to work much better for me, but I know that can be hit and miss as well. Based on current technology and costs, seems like RG6 is still the best bet.

I'm not technically savvy, but with Dish's purchase of spectrum, could they deliver some wireless content?

Based on current technology and costs, seems like RG6 is still the best bet.

Actually cat 5 is the wire of choice for Uverse boxes, coax is second choice. I used to install Uverse, and I tried to run cat 5 whenever I could, it was a lot more dependable.

I'm not technically savvy, but with Dish's purchase of spectrum, could they deliver some wireless content?
I have no idea. I thought the same thing when I saw the news. I can't imagine what they could have in mind but it could be interesting. Maybe something like a "satellite on a tower" for sending locals into local thereby freeing up orbital transponders?

I have no idea. I thought the same thing when I saw the news. I can't imagine what they could have in mind but it could be interesting. Maybe something like a "satellite on a tower" for sending locals into local thereby freeing up orbital transponders?
Nope, nope nope...don't like that idea one bit. nuh-uh...gotta keep my conus locals ;)

My sister has ATT at her house, and besides the fact she can only watch HD on one TV, the Wifi itself is really spotty, even when you're close to the unit. When I saw the commercial for the WiFi ATT box, my first thought was unless they upgraded their WiFi routers?

It's really not any different than what many have already done using wireless bridges, just incorporates the wirless into the box itself instead of having to add a bridge.

UVerse routers are Wireless-G. If you get their wireless receiver they also give you a Wireless-N access point to plug into the router. This does give you the option of placing the access point at a drop closer to the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)