Has anyone tried this yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rdel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2005
I'm thinking about getting a h10 directtv unit to use for my local HD stations, I know you have to hook it up to a dish pointing at 110 for it to work.
Now comes the fun part, can I use a dishnet with two seperate lnbs (one pointing at 110 and one at 119 for my music and nasa)? Will the dishnet single lnb pickup a directtv signal from 110? I thought I would ask before Itried it. Maybe someone else has done it.
Thanks Guys
rdel

don't think so

Not likely.
Do a search (probably in the DirecTV section) on the "sat c lnb"
I think that's the one they aim at 110
Hopefully, it'll explain why you need a DirecTV Phase III or maybe Phase II dish.
ASSUMING you need 110 and not 101, of course.

Should also be a thread around the FTA section by Ice, describing why a Phase III dish won't do FTA.
That'll telll you a lot about the 110 LNB, too.

I'm confused on the whole HD lcoal part because most of the HD locals on Directv require the At9 (5LNB) dish

but as anole said, DirecTV uses an oddball LNB for 110. It takes TP 28,30,32 and converts them to I think 8,10,12 and mixes it with the 119 LNB so that won't work.

If he is talking about using the h10 for OTA hd only, then I think it is like the dish receivers and was the first directv hd receiver that needed the sat signal to allow the OTA operation. So any of the three main sats would work so it could do OTA hd.

osu
never thought of that

rdel..if that is the plan (using the Directv recever for HD OTA) the recever needs to see 101, not 110 or 119

Just take the existing Dish500 that you have and put a LNB (hoseclamp works good) next to the 110 LNB (right one if behind the dish) for 101

I'm thinking about getting a h10 directtv unit to use for my local HD stations, I know you have to hook it up to a dish pointing at 110 for it to work.
Now comes the fun part, can I use a dishnet with two seperate lnbs (one pointing at 110 and one at 119 for my music and nasa)? Will the dishnet single lnb pickup a directtv signal from 110? I thought I would ask before Itried it. Maybe someone else has done it.
Thanks Guys
rdel

Not sure if the internal switches are compatable between the multiple LNBF DN & DTV systems ?

If all the receiver needs is to see 101 , to work , throw up an old single LNBF DN or DTV LNBF ?

Wyr

If he is talking about using the h10 for OTA hd only, then I think it is like the dish receivers and was the first directv hd receiver that needed the sat signal to allow the OTA operation. So any of the three main sats would work so it could do OTA hd.

Thats what I'm looking to do, I'm trying to keep from adding a new dish to my dishfarm:D and get local HD signals.
Will the dishnet lnb pickup the direct tv signal from 110?
anybody tried putting a directtv lnb on the 110 side of a dishnet dish?
Thanks Everyone and let me know what you think:up
rdel

Using the Dish Network legacy single LNBFs (not the DP) with two outputs, run one output to your DirecTV "SAT C" switch and the other to your FTA for the music and NASA. The Dish Network and DirecTV LNBFs are the same LO, frequencies and are electronically interchangeable. The "SAT C" switch does the removal and injection.

Will the dishnet lnb pickup the direct tv signal from 110?
I think you need a signal from 101 for the Directv box to work
anybody tried putting a directtv lnb on the 110 side of a dishnet dish?
Thanks Everyone and let me know what you think:up
rdel
I put a LNB on the 129 side of a Dish500 and got good signal. So you just put it on the opposite side :)

Attachments

• IM000353.JPG
    IM000353.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IM000354.JPG
    IM000354.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 230
Thanks Satellite AV, Ice osu,Wyr and anole
I'm not sure if it's 100 or 101. I'll have to play around with it to find out (I hope it's 110 so I can use one dish)
Thanks Everybody
rdel

ask the right question; ask the right people

Ask this question over in the DirecTV section:

"What satellite signal do I need to feed my H10, to get it to work as an ATSC (off the air) receiver?
I won't have it activated for DirecTV service
Will an LNB looking at 101 do the job?"

( bird at 101 is the main DTV satellite, so I'm thinking this is what you'll need)

Those of us here obviously don't have an H10, and don't really know.
The folks in the DTV section of this forum should be able to slap you back with an answer in seconds.
I'm sure it's as common a bit of knowledge there, as where G10 is located for the FTA buffs! :rolleyes:

I have thought of using a subscription receiver with OTA HD capbility to receive the local HDTV channels on my regular TV. It is HDTV "ready" but needs an external tuner box.

So will these receivers work for receiving local over-the-air digital signals with their ATSC tuner without having the receiver activated for the subscription services? I've seen some advertised that say they will do that, but from what I see here it looks like not all of them will? Or will some of them work for OTA HD channels as long as they see a satellite even if it isn't activated?

they need to see the satellite for the box to work. I know a Dish 811 will work fine for OTA HD without a subscription :)

All the old directv hd receivers before the the h10 will do OTA ATSC without having to see the sat signal.My old hughes e86 and hughes HTL work fine without any sat signals for the family members I have given them to.

Now, I'm confused...

Are you guys saying - you can use both DirecTV dish and receiver then receive your local OTA HD channels... I thought you had to subscribe to your locals.

With the DirecTV H10, you get your local HD with an OTA antenna Your locals supplied by DirecTV are Standard Digital feeds only. I have and H10 and I found that the electrical noise makes for quite the challenge to get HD OTA with it. I switched to tuner inside the TV instead. Much less noise, much better quality.

Cheers,
Hantu

cheap OTA hi def receiver

I'm thinking about getting a h10 directtv unit to use for my local HD stations...
Well, since you don't have it, and are starting from scratch....

I believe Voom satellite receivers could be used for OTA hi def reception, too.
If memory serves, that would require the unit be taken out of service before the account was closed, or some such nonsense.
Perhaps as a dying gasp, the units were sent a kill signal to prevent their use as OTA receivers at the end.
For details, you'll have to search the forum, but I know the info is here.

In spite of the no-hack-talk policy, maybe restoring such service would be a subject for discussion.
But, probably not in the FTA forum. :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)