Has anyone tried this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
For the past while I've been struggling with getting RTN. First it was the wrong azimuth, then it was the wrong LNB spacing, then it was a mystery signal that was overtaking RTN. Then a rainstorm hit and my remaining signal went kaput (from 66 down to about 25 on Coolsat 5K).

Then I remembered an obscure website I once saw where a guy cut off the bottom of a plastic bottle and put around his LNB to help alleviate rain fade and interference. I couldn't find the website again, so I struck out on my own. I used the bottom half of a 16 oz. plastic cup. I cut out the bottom and fixed it to the LNB with electrical tape (see attached photos). I went back inside and my signal quality had jumped back to 70.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or if this really worked. If this is what truly fixed my problem, then more people need to hear about it.

LNB-1A.JPG

LNB-2A.JPG

great work
For the past while I've been struggling with getting RTN. First it was the wrong azimuth, then it was the wrong LNB spacing, then it was a mystery signal that was overtaking RTN. Then a rainstorm hit and my remaining signal went kaput (from 66 down to about 25 on Coolsat 5K).

Then I remembered an obscure website I once saw where a guy cut off the bottom of a plastic bottle and put around his LNB to help alleviate rain fade and interference. I couldn't find the website again, so I struck out on my own. I used the bottom half of a 16 oz. plastic cup. I cut out the bottom and fixed it to the LNB with electrical tape (see attached photos). I went back inside and my signal quality had jumped back to 70.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or if this really worked. If this is what truly fixed my problem, then more people need to hear about it.

View attachment 37098

View attachment 37099

It MAY help a little, but most rainfade is caused by the thickness of the water droplets in the cloud, that's between the satellite signal and the dish. Sometimes the signal loss will occur just before the downpour, and as the cloud empties, signal returns before it stops raining.

You can't argue with results.

View attachment 37098

View attachment 37099

I put a shield on mine. Yours looks nicer however. Depending where you are aimed water droplets can build up on the lnb. It was especially effective for a s2 feed I watch.

I don't know. Perhaps it worked. Perhaps it was coincidence. It has been raining and overcast all day though.

The usual daily signal fluctuations that I usually get have disappeared though. Either way my RTN is coming in strong and that %@&*! "Video 1" signal isn't eating my RTN signal.

For those of you who wonder if this is a miraculous cure or snake oil, stay tuned... I'll monitor the results and report back.

For those of you who wonder if this is a miraculous cure or snake oil, stay tuned... I'll monitor the results and report back.
Hey, if it worked and you got your channels back that's what matters most. A lot of this satellite stuff may always be a mystery. :)

Personally, since I've worn the chicken cooker on my head (and been eating those wild mushrooms I collect, not only have I been seeing first run movies, I have also beenseeing movies that haven't been made yet.

That is really neat!! Looks kinda like the old Speedgun6, if you paint it black lol. If it works you should be able to tell pretty soon after a few rains.

Don't get all bent out of shape guys. A plastic cup costs about 5 cents. Try it or don't. It's not like I'm trying to push this on anyone.

I retried all the different possibilities today. Here are the results on AMC 9 11735H/4440:

without plastic cup - 68Q
with trimmed plastic cup (3/4 length of cup) - 69/70Q
with full length cup - 68/69Q
with trimmed cup covered in tinfoil - 66Q

This seems to help most when the LEO signal overrides RTN. Somehow it help separate the two signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)