Has anyone tried this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LoTech;

Cool experiment! Looks like the trimmed cup is the winner. Keep us posted how it works over the season. The numbers seem to speak for themselves, what are the readings with no cup again?

I put one on and it does seem to help. It did go off once, then popped right back on. Usually I have to play with the remote to get it to come back in. Modern top notch technology always pays off. ;) :up

UPDATE: I've gone over 30 minutes without an interuption, for me that is a long time.

Last edited:
I do believe that this is more than a coincedence. Since installing (yesterday at 4:20pm) the said piece of techincal equipment to my feedhorn I have not had any interuption in signal. I did have to hit the info button to get it to lock on, but once it locks there are no problems. Before, it would go in and out about every 3 to 4 minutes. By the way, yesterday when I put the cup on it was in between heavy showers and today it's very overcast with rain coming. These conditions were alway a recipe for signal interuption. My hats off to you LoTech. You showld change your name to HiTech.

I retried all the different possibilities today. Here are the results on AMC 9 11735H/4440:
without plastic cup - 68Q
with trimmed plastic cup (3/4 length of cup) - 69/70Q
with full length cup - 68/69Q
with trimmed cup covered in tinfoil - 66Q
This seems to help most when the LEO signal overrides RTN. Somehow it help separate the two signals.

My signal has always been in the 68 to 70% range, but it would bounce back and forth, dipping as low a 23% causing the signal to go out. With the added cup the signal is stable at 69%. I will say the cup worked until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
LoTech = 5 cent cup, a strip of tape, and don't have a clue why it works.
HiTech = costly elaborate equipment with an explanation.

Thanks for the compliment.

LoTech

LoTech = 5 cent cup, a strip of tape, and don't have a clue why it works.
HiTech = costly elaborate equipment with an explanation.

Thanks for the compliment.

LoTech
:D:up That's funny, but true!!! I tried it on 72°W without cup 38 Q,. With Cup 46 Q!!:eek:

Or put on the tinfoil hat to see if that helps solve the mystery signal!
;)

Does that mean we have to use the foil off our heads to keep the aliens from scanning our minds! :D

That cup idea is great! Only here could us guys make something work!

That is very ingenious and innovative!!

Great job LoTech!!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Upon further thought, this whole cup thing makes perfect sense for the signal in question. RTN, on it's less-than-shoestring budget, undoubtedly cobbles stuff up all the time. They've probably got the top half of a hacked-off 5 gallon plastic bucket, jammed onto the end of their uplink transmitter, to get that feeble signal out! :eek: :haha

Well.....it's been over a week since I installed "the cup" and the RTN signal has been stable ever since. This morning I did loose the signal for about 15 minutes between 10:30and 11 am, of course we are having a major league storms with possible tornados in the area. It's now pouring down rain with heavy cloud cover and I am still getting a 60% signal. I am pretty sure the cup has something to do with this improvement. ;) :up ;)

Upon further thought, this whole cup thing makes perfect sense for the signal in question. RTN, on it's less-than-shoestring budget, undoubtedly cobbles stuff up all the time. They've probably got the top half of a hacked-off 5 gallon plastic bucket, jammed onto the end of their uplink transmitter, to get that feeble signal out! :eek: :haha

probably....if they are doing that now what were they doing when Equity owned them?? ;)

I also had problems with KHIZ, a weak station out of Bristow, CA on G 17, C Band. Now it coming in loud and clear.

My thoughts on this: Maybe the signal is spread out and weak and all of it was not getting into the feed horn. By putting on "the cup," maybe it is helping to funnel more of the signal to the feed horn which helps the LNB. Man, all I know is that I am watching signals that I had trouble getting. ;)

I also had problems with KHIZ, a weak station out of Bristow, CA on G 17, C Band. Now it coming in loud and clear.

Jim,

As far as I know you are the first to try this on C-Band. What kind of gain in quality are you getting on the C-Band channels?

-LoTech

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts