Has anyone tried to change programming on the D* website?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

patlives

Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
It used to be that a person could get on the D* website and change programming and packages whenever they wanted. Many times I have subscribed to HBO or Showtime for a weekend to watch boxing or a certain movie, and then gotten rid of it on Monday. The $12 fee was then prorated over 2 days on my bill, so it was less than 50 cents a day. A couple of weeks ago I added Showtime for a weekend of boxing, but now the website won't allow me to get rid of it. I uncheck the box, and hit continue, but it takes me back to the same page. It only took me to the next page when I added HBO and got rid of SHowtime. I would rather not pay $5.99 to change my package. Has anyone else had this problem?

They stopped allowing that since the last quarter of 2005. Now if you cancel before 30 days, you pay an early cancellation fee, or you can call D* and try to get the fee waived, by, say for example, convincing them you did it on accident. FWIW, when it first started, the fee was $10.

Last edited:
I think its reasonable to expect that someone subscribe for 30 days. What is it 12 bucks for a month? Big FKN DEAL. :rolleyes:

yeah but now the site doesn't even give you the option of being charged the $10. it just takes you right back to the change programming page as if nothing had happened. also, i went to drop the hd package (which i've had for over a year) and it did the same thing- won't let me drop it and just keeps taking me back to the change programming page.

looks like directv is playing games with people trying to change programming. pretty sleazy. you can add programming all you want, but to remove it, well, you can't...

talbain said:
yeah but now the site doesn't even give you the option of being charged the $10. it just takes you right back to the change programming page as if nothing had happened. also, i went to drop the hd package (which i've had for over a year) and it did the same thing- won't let me drop it and just keeps taking me back to the change programming page.

looks like DirecTV is playing games with people trying to change programming. pretty sleazy. you can add programming all you want, but to remove it, well, you can't...

I think you can remove it, but have to wait till the 30 days (month) is up. The way it is set up now is for a 1 month minimum, on a subscription. That was because a lot of people were going on at 8:50 on Sunday night, subscribing to HBO, for the Sopranos, then unsubscribing at 10:05.

Can't really blame D* for changing that policy.

There was no monetary logic behind the change, whether you kept it 24 hours or 720 hours, it still charged you .40 cents a day, which multiplied by 30 is $12.00, so they still were getting paid fairly for every single day, they were not losing any money, and the customer was not stealing.

But, _now_, people who would only order those packages that way, could cease ordering it again (I know I have, 99% of the movies suck anyways), therefore making this plan a monetary _loss_. I mean it is better to have 1000 people ordering 24 hours worth of HBO than none of them ordering any days at all.

I _do_ agree it is their 'ball', and they can play what they want to, but what would have been wrong with allowing it (since it costs them nothing, and in fact makes them a little money) and making the consumer feel like D* gives them something? :\

The only reason I can see, is to make a quick 6-10(whatever it is) bucks off the poor git who didn't know they changed the site, or to be d*cks, so yes, it does seem sleazy imo too.

Unless HBO/MAX/etc MADE them change it, then they couldn't help it, in which case they need to grow some balls and get better lawyers ;)

Last edited:
Whenever someone subscribes to HBO, Starz, etc., D* must pay the provider for the full month. So they were losing money if someone called in to add a service then drop it a few days later. D* would only recoup a fraction of the cost. It makes business sense for D* to do this.

HBO is not pay per view. Its a monthly rate so I think its the right thing to do preventing people from treating it like a 30 cent a day pay per view. Now if you only want the Sopranos, there's an opportunity to do PPV. Of course, price now goes to 2 bucks or more per view. In the end, might just be cheaper to get monthly HBO and DVR it.

Thanks for the advice, but, that's ok, I have alternative methods to watch movies I want, however many times I want now (not that I do, once you watch a movie, what's the point of watching it again?), and none include using or paying D*.

There is only maybe 1 good movie* on any given package maybe once every 6 months, so it is not worth it to me, 12 bucks a movie just is not a good deal for me.

PPV is even more worthless to me*.

* = Not D*s fault, it is the movie industries fault for allowing garbage to enter the box offices. :\

Last edited:
I noticed since D* redesigned their web site, this is on each Premium movie discription page:
"DIRECTV premium programming services are generally offered on a monthly basis. If you downgrade your premium programming options within thirty (30) days of adding a new service to your account, you may be subject to a $10.00 fee."

From what I read, NO, no longer. Now you either wait past the 30 days or must call them and them I think you are subject to a penalty (like $10) which you might as well keep the service. This has eliminated the "trick" of being able to use premiums as PPV and causing billing issues. If any of this has changed please correct me.

So is the policy still that you can change between premiums as long as you keep the same level of service for 30 days? That was the policy after they implemented the $10 penalty for downgrading before 30 days.

So for example if you sign up for 2 premiums, you must keep at least 2 premiums for 30 days no matter what they are. Does this still apply?

skaeight said:
So is the policy still that you can change between premiums as long as you keep the same level of service for 30 days? That was the policy after they implemented the $10 penalty for downgrading before 30 days.

So for example if you sign up for 2 premiums, you must keep at least 2 premiums for 30 days no matter what they are. Does this still apply?

That is what it sounds like, but the waters will have to be tested, to find out for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)