Has anyone tried????

Jerryinvirginia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Dish announced that the 1000.2 ant will be retired in favor of the 1000.4 using a "new" LNB designed for WA. Looking at the design of the 2 antennas and how the respective LNB's mount, it appears simple enough to mount the current 1000.2 LNB to the 1000.4. Since the 1000.4 is a larger reflector, it should give higher signal report on WA. Has anyone played around with the current 1000.2 LNB adapted to the 1000.4? The unknown factor would be the spacing needs of the lenses since the focal point is different. Dish claims to have a different LNB designed to work WA on the 1000.4....SOON! Just wondering if someone has experimented!

I successfully used a 1000.2 4 LNB feed horn and support on a 105 reflector. It actually worked better, (more signal strength) that the original 1000.2 reflector. The 105 reflector had a more substantial mounting bracked and was more stable than the 1000.2. I attached the support arm to the 105 at approximately the same focal length as the 1000.2. The was only about 1/2 inch difference. I don't think the focal point is all that critical.
M

Actually, that is an old trick that I and many other techs have been using when in need (like missing some part to build a 1000.2 from my van). All we needed to do was build a 1000.4 dish with the proper skew and elevation for WA, and then cut the middle tab off the end LNB bracket and a 1000.2 fits on perfect. and yes, it does seem to get a better signal on 110, 119, and 129.

How much of a difference in signal strength is there between the 1000.4 WA and the 1000.2?

To my understanding, we have a pallet of 1k4 wa LNB's sitting in our warehouse. Its just a matter of getting the OK to begin installing them.

In my area, using a regular 1k2 dish, I'm in the lower 80's on 119, mid to upper 70's on 110 and upper 50's to lower 60's on 129. Using the larger 1k4 dish, I'm in the lower 90's on 119, upper 80's on 110, and lower 70's on 129.

Ahh... I am reading the same readings on my 1k.2... I don't guess it's a big enough difference to warrant me upgrading to the 1k.4 WA though... Heck just the other day during an 18-hour rain I had no issues with signal strength...

Ahh... I am reading the same readings on my 1k.2... I don't guess it's a big enough difference to warrant me upgrading to the 1k.4 WA though... Heck just the other day during an 18-hour rain I had no issues with signal strength...

So, the old adage still stands. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! :)

I have long been saying that the 1000.2 was "under designed/sized" and it needed to be "updated", from what I have been told by Techs, Supervisors and have known myself. And with the 1000.4 taking its place, and I pray that it does the job, maybe I can got back to a single dish solution. Of which they just moved me to a the two dish set up not too long ago because the 1000.2 was nothing but trouble. I wonder why the new 1000.4 was not suggested or used. The new set up has worked great until the last batch of SW updates. What a mess.

Last edited:
My guess is it depends on where you live. I say it's plenty sufficient for 110/119, though I can see how in some locations it may not be enough for 129.

We are going to start installing in our market in the next week or so.Are work orders already marked as 1000.4 wa or ea . They say the lnbs will be interchangable
and the 1000.2 will be phased out.I cant wait I hate the 1000.2 anyway.I am also hoping for better signal on westren arc as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)