has anyone with the 811 run into this

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok, have an 811 with an ota antenna hooked up that I use to pick up my locals. If I want to see actual content for these channels in the program guide, it sounds like I need a SuperDish so I can pick up the signal that my locals are currently on (the 105 bird). For the folks in my area that are getting the locals from the satellite, they are offering free superdish upgrades. Is there anyway I'll be eligible for the free SuperDish upgrade without paying the monthly subscription for the locals from the 105? By the way I have a dish 500 20 incher setup currently.

Thanks,
gator

811 Ota

My OTA picked up all local OTA but not all digital channels. I'm not sure as to why, but all analog channels where received, even the local CBS channel. I get anolog CBS (WTSP), UPN (WTOG) or WB (WTTB), but I do not get their digital channels for some odd reason.

kcribb1 said:
My OTA picked up all local OTA but not all digital channels. I'm not sure as to why, but all analog channels where received, even the local CBS channel. I get anolog CBS (WTSP), UPN (WTOG) or WB (WTTB), but I do not get their digital channels for some odd reason.

how good do they look... any static or ghosting... you almost have to have a perfect analog signal to get the digital counterparts... that and they generally broadcast digital at lower power.

If you have the Weingard 2200 batwing make sure you are using the original weingard switch. The Antenna is amplified but needs that switch coming off a dual LNB to power the amplifier. My installer replaced the weingard switch with a diplexer that gave me poor signal quality. I switched it back and now get all the same channels I had when V* was installed and my 811 picked up the analogs on it's own.

n0qcu said:
Dish receiver will only display info for digital channels IF dish carries the locals for your area. If they don't carry your locals the only info you will get is "local digital".

That is not entirely true! My 811 shows local digital on 009-01 (CBS), but Dish carries channel 009-00 (have more than one channel like this, my local PBS, NBC) ! So even if they carry the channel it doesn't mean that you will get guide data for that channel.

ShadowEKU said:
how good do they look... any static or ghosting... you almost have to have a perfect analog signal to get the digital counterparts... that and they generally broadcast digital at lower power.

I'd have to disagree. With my 811, the OTA analogs are nearly all unwatchable (really, really snowy, ghosting, etc.), but most of the OTA digitals come in pretty well (signals strength generally 70+).

-- Mark

Here in Boston, I am not getting dish locals, but using an OTA antenna. I was seeing local channel info on my 811 on only 1 OTA channel 044-01, pointing a dish to 61.5 only (for voom stuff).

Last night, I added 110 and 119 to the mix, did not change my subscription, and all the main OTA channels now show program info.

It has info for the xxx-01 channels, anything xxx-02, xxx-03, xxx-04 etc do not show data. And the ones NOT showing data are the ones dish does not have on satellite.

In another forum, someone is saying that the 811 reads psip data for local info and that the psip has to be perfect for an 811 to read it. Based upon my 110/119 addition, the local info for dish mapped channels seems more likely.

philhu said:
In another forum, someone is saying that the 811 reads psip data for local info and that the psip has to be perfect for an 811 to read it. Based upon my 110/119 addition, the local info for dish mapped channels seems more likely.
Even if you have local info for the dish mapped analog channels, the PSIP has to be correct to map the EPG data to the proper OTA digital channel.

Wrong. I had a station with absolutly no PSIP info and it got the info for the station just fine.

All it uses is the RF number of the digital station.

So, why do we have to theorize about how this works?

I've now seen 5 distinct, seperate answers for this. I was rcving guide data for 1 channel while only pointing to 61.5, then all of them when I added 110/119. Where does the psip data come into play?

So the question for dish is:

How does the 811 get local channel guide information for OTA channels?

Someone has to know definitively!!

BFG said:
Wrong. I had a station with absolutly no PSIP info and it got the info for the station just fine.

All it uses is the RF number of the digital station.
If there was no PSIP, there wouldn't be an RF number to map to.

mdonnelly said:
If there was no PSIP, there wouldn't be an RF number to map to.

This is probably true. I remember a local here, when it first started doing it's digital signal, did not have psip data.

The hd tuner in my tv brought in the station as HD, but it listed the UHF channel number the digital signal was on for it, not the std channel it mapped to.

So without some kind of mapping data, it would not know what it should display.

philhu said:
How does the 811 get local channel guide information for OTA channels?

Simple :)

For digital locals that have a corresponding local channel that dish carries, the satellite that has those locals has a table with RF numbers for stations, if it recognizes if you have a match, it displays the dish local info from the satellite.

You were right you have to see the satellite the dish locals exist at to get guide info.

BFG said:

For digital locals that have a corresponding local channel that dish carries, the satellite that has those locals has a table with RF numbers for stations, if it recognizes if you have a match, it displays the dish local info from the satellite.

You were right you have to see the satellite the dish locals exist at to get guide info.
And if it doesn't recognize a match, it won't display the EPG, even if the data is on the satellite.

BFG said:

Now that makes perfect sense, and explains why adding 110/119 got me local channel info!

Washington DC (53+ miles) is technically my home DMA, however I also receive OTA programming from Richmond VA (51+ miles), Charlottesville VA (55+ miles) and Baltimore MD too (90+ miles). I subscribe to the DC locals and have no trouble receive PG date for these OTA digitals (minus subchannels), but I don't receive any PG data for other local digitals picked up via scan with my 942 and 811.

According to Antennaweb.org and CheckHD.com, I am supposed to receive digital programming from 3 DMAs...plus, our local Adelphia provides locals from both DC and Richmond VA. Since I pay for my locals (and technically Richmond and Charlottesville are also my locals) shouldn't E* be providing me with PG data via sat or PSIP? It makes perfect sense to me! Or am I SOL?

Also, my 942 will occasionally loose PG data for the DC digitals, but it will still have PG data for the DISH channels. Rebooting the system seems to take care of the problem. Anyone else having this issue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts