Has Dish become the new pig?

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I called E* yesterday to check on getting the Voom Channels. I currently have the HD package and thought the Voom channels would become part of that. I have only a Dish 500 so I checked about getting the 61.5 signal.

Well, to get the 61.5, it will cost $100 for another dish. This was not unexpected, but, the kicker is I would have to pay another $5 per month for the Voom stuff! Not going to happen for me.

At this rate, Dish has approached cable in cost and is quickly passing them. :no

I'm not sure that dish is quickly passing the cable company in costs considering for what I'd pay for AT120 I'd be like paying over $55 with cox here in kansas.

I don't believe in seperating pigs, but I do believe that dish has become one in the same pin.

Harry said:
I called E* yesterday to check on getting the Voom Channels. I currently have the HD package and thought the Voom channels would become part of that. I have only a Dish 500 so I checked about getting the 61.5 signal.

Well, to get the 61.5, it will cost $100 for another dish. This was not unexpected, but, the kicker is I would have to pay another $5 per month for the Voom stuff! Not going to happen for me.

At this rate, Dish has approached cable in cost and is quickly passing them. :no

Same here!!! I'll wait for more "COMPELLING" HD programming.

danielle_s said:
I'm not sure that dish is quickly passing the cable company in costs considering for what I'd pay for AT120 I'd be like paying over $55 with cox here in kansas.

I don't believe in seperating pigs, but I do believe that dish has become one in the same pin.

E* is up there with Comcast. My bill runs in the 70's. I have the 120, HBO/MAX and HD packages, locals, and a 2nd receiver.

The HBO/MAX package is not worth the money anymore so I am going to drop it and probably the HD pacakge. I watch far more OTA HD than on Dish. Since MNF goes to ESPN next year, I may have to keep the HD pacakge though. (Darn it!)

I already have a second dish for locals (additional locals in Denver) and was told that it would be $100 to come and realign my dish. I thought that was rather impressive . . . pay $100 two years ago for dish, pay an additional $100 to realign dish so I can pay more.

(Whew! Finally got rid of those "first post gitters" . . .. )

adawhi said:
I already have a second dish for locals (additional locals in Denver) and was told that it would be $100 to come and realign my dish. I thought that was rather impressive . . . pay $100 two years ago for dish, pay an additional $100 to realign dish so I can pay more.

(Whew! Finally got rid of those "first post gitters" . . .. )

Man, a $100 to re-align your dish? You are getting hosed! You can do it your self using the menu (6-1-1 on the 811) and rotate your dish until you get a good signal then lock it down.

Welcome to the forum!

WJMorales said:
Re-Align your self it not hard at all!!!!!

Depends on where his dish is mounted. But anyone with half a brain and easy access should be able to re-align a dish.

NightRyder

Harry said:

They just spend 200 mil for the satellite and voom was charging $50.00 per mo. Lets see, how do they give that to you for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E just spent 200m for the satellite and voom was charging $50.00 per mo. Now how in the sam satellite world do you expect to get them for free!!!!!!!!!! Get "real"

rnesky said:
E just spent 200m for the satellite and voom was charging $50.00 per mo. Now how in the sam satellite world do you expect to get them for free!!!!!!!!!! Get "real"

I quote:

"ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV. "

Expanding the HD Package being the operative phrase here. Expanding would mean adding to the HD Package we already pay for.

Harry that's the same way I understood it. Regardless what can you expect for a company charges DVR fees and Mirroring fees. On the bright side look at it as 0.c0 cents per channels.

Free

Harry said:

Why would you expect to get 10 more channels free?

Its funny, now that the extra hd channels cost $5 more a month, the Dish with everything (180, all movies, HD) is only $5 cheaper than Comcast. Comcast however provides more movie channels in the packs. They also have all of the movie pack HD channels. Things that are missing are HDnet, and now voom. Dish is no longer the bargin basement of pay television :)

interpretaion

Harry said:
Read the quote above and see how you interpret it.

Unless you have problems understanding English. My quote is pretty clearly stated, what business do you know that pays to acquire additional services and then provides them to the public free. it' s not like you have to subscribe to the additional channels. You have a choice, if you don't think they are worth $5.00 don't buy them and you are no worse off then you were before Dish offered the new channels. Hope you are able to interpret my quote this time. :eek: :down

HD921 said:
Unless you have problems understanding English. My quote is pretty clearly stated, what business do you know that pays to acquire additional services and then provides them to the public free. it' s not like you have to subscribe to the additional channels. You have a choice, if you don't think they are worth $5.00 don't buy them and you are no worse off then you were before Dish offered the new channels. Hope you are able to interpret my quote this time. :eek: :down

I understand english quite well.

What part of the following statement do you not understand?

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Are they or are they not part of the HD Package? Apparently not which makes this press release an outright lie.

Harry said:
I understand english quite well.

What part of the following statement do you not understand?

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Are they or are they not part of the HD Package? Apparently not which makes this press release an outright lie.
I just don't see the word free anywhere in the that statement. Get real man, I guess you want dish to go the way of Voom by offering additional programing at no charge.

The channels are a add-on to the HD Pak. Yes they cost extra, I've never seen anything that said they wouldn't. They are an option, if you want them pay the extra $5, if you don't then don't pay for it. If you think your entitled to them for free your SOL, and not likely to get much sympathy.

NightRyder

With the small ammount of channels for what they were charging I don't really see the reason for the increase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)