Has Dish given up on local HD?

I don't recall Dish ever committing to carry 50 HD LIL markets, I remember a list of 48 cities and the phrase "some of these markets", but its been awhile. Here is what I did find from Jan. 2006

DISH Network will launch high definition local channels through its satellite service in additional cities across the country, reaching more than 50 percent of U.S. TV households with local HD channels by year end.

NightRyder

that's 2 avoidances - any reason why?

and why would I give up getting YES-HD, SNY-HD, MLB EI HD, NFL-HD?

back to a serious answer if you have one.
So you're a D* sub, and you don't want E*. Why are you so concerned about how many cities E* has up in HD?

Maybe E* thought that MPEG-4 compression was so good that they could fit 12 HD channels per transponder, and it turns out that they couldn't.

If they just gave everyone HD receivers (no matter if they had HD or not) and took off all the SD locals we would have a ton of room for HD locals. :)

Even if they started swapping receivers today, it would take years to get them all swapped out. It took a couple of years just to swap smart cards.

I would expect them to get all the non-mpeg4 hi-def receivers swapped before they start swapping std-def. They haven't yet started a mandatory swap of hd boxes.

There's the dream, and then the reality....

DISH Network will launch high definition local channels through its satellite service in additional cities across the country, reaching more than 50 percent of U.S. TV households with local HD channels by year end.

NightRyder

Yep, that's the ticket. It doesn't take many markets to catch 50% of the TVs. They are probably there now.

So you're a D* sub, and you don't want E*. Why are you so concerned about how many cities E* has up in HD?

Maybe E* thought that MPEG-4 compression was so good that they could fit 12 HD channels per transponder, and it turns out that they couldn't.

mdonnelly,

dont-feed-troll.gif

So, if more locals aren't going to happen soon. Is there any chance more national hd feeds are coming? MTV and the Turner HD Pak we could call it?

So, if more locals aren't going to happen soon. Is there any chance more national hd feeds are coming? MTV and the Turner HD Pak we could call it?
Echostar Team Summit is coming in early May. I wouldn't expect any announcements before then.

Oh Mr. Self-Righteous one. I have simply been trying to find out what is the reason for the delay. I have also been working on why D* has had delays on the same issue. If trying to get this info is so painful for you or Cosmo - why don't the two of you just ignore it (he already said I was on his ignore list - another lie I guess).

As mentioned, a lot of the speculation about D* delays is regarding encoders, I anm curious for input if maybe its the same reason with E*.

Can't believe you can't handle a serious request for info and have to resort to avoidance and wise answers. I guess its just easier to name call than to try and get info.

Oh Mr. Self-Righteous one. I have simply been trying to find out what is the reason for the delay. ...
Oh Mr. Disingenuous one, you've received any number of theories over the last two weeks. Any one or more, or none of which may be correct. Pick one and move on.

I don't recall Dish ever committing to carry 50 HD LIL markets, I remember a list of 48 cities and the phrase "some of these markets", but its been awhile. Here is what I did find from Jan. 2006

NightRyder
Are you trying to confuse us with facts?:)

That's the way Dish likes to do things - imply the best, commit to nothing, do as little as they can get away with.

If trying to get this info is so painful for you or Cosmo - why don't the two of you just ignore it (he already said I was on his ignore list - another lie I guess).
No, it's not a lie. The ignore feature works OK. All I see is the fact that you posted, not the actual post. Unfortunately, your posts that are quoted by another member do show.

Can't believe you can't handle a serious request for info and have to resort to avoidance and wise answers. I guess its just easier to name call than to try and get info.
Serious request for info?? :no

Ok - so its truly a capacity issue. My question though is what changed from when they said they planned to launch 50 or more markets in late 2005 to now? Was that announcement ever intended to come to fruition?
OK, you've got your "info". What the hell kind of question is that??

As a new member here, and one who is trying to decide where to lay my hat (I want to dump my present company) - I think the question asked is fair and I also would like to know if anyone has the answer as to why they were so far off from their rollout plans. The past is usually a fairly good predictor of the future. Problems are problems. Are they corrected? What steps are they taking to correct them if not? What is the plan for this year and next year? Do they have capacity for new channels? Have they made promises that they have not kept?

We all have our leanings, but I see no problem with the question asked or how the question was asked.

Looks to me like you all are way too touchy and defensive about a television provider - and take stabs at people, not at truth.

Its time for a RealityCheck I'm afraid.

As a new member here, and one who is trying to decide where to lay my hat (I want to dump my present company) - I think the question asked is fair and I also would like to know if anyone has the answer as to why they were so far off from their rollout plans. The past is usually a fairly good predictor of the future. Problems are problems. Are they corrected? What steps are they taking to correct them if not? What is the plan for this year and next year? Do they have capacity for new channels? Have they made promises that they have not kept?

We all have our leanings, but I see no problem with the question asked or how the question was asked.

Looks to me like you all are way too touchy and defensive about a television provider - and take stabs at people, not at truth.

Yep, we know your leanings too.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=860890&postcount=306

So how do you feel about a company that advertises HD channels that don't even exist yet and cannot be confirmed to even be in the works by the companies who were claimed to be offering them?

Check your reality at the door please.

Go look at the transponder charts - it is a capacity issue.
They are stuck until they get a spot beam sat to 129.

I said a year ago that Direct would fly past Dish in terms of HD LIL. The new Direct sats are in a completely different class then what E* has (100's of spot beams). But, they are starving for national coverage. And, have you seen that HUGE dish?

Try for over-the-air. It's really the best way to get Hi-Def locals.
It looks to me that E* has three underutilized satellites right now. If you look at 105, 118 and 121 there is plenty of capacity to start rolling out HD-LIL especially in the markets that previously received their locals from 105 or 121. I have a SD105 and don't receive anything from 105 right now. Are there technical issues with using the 105 and 121 satellites for HD? There is also supposed to be a repoint kit (new lnbf) for the SD105 and SD121 to receive signals from 118. Any news about that?

It looks to me that E* has three underutilized satellites right now. If you look at 105, 118 and 121 there is plenty of capacity to start rolling out HD-LIL especially in the markets that previously received their locals from 105 or 121. I have a SD105 and don't receive anything from 105 right now. Are there technical issues with using the 105 and 121 satellites for HD? There is also supposed to be a repoint kit (new lnbf) for the SD105 and SD121 to receive signals from 118. Any news about that?

Um, Dish already has a ridiculous five dish setups for receiving HD:

Dish 1000
Dish 1000.2
Dish 1000+
Dish 500 & Dish 300 @ 61.5
Dish 500+ & Dish 300 @ 61.5

I can't imagine increasing that to seven is a good idea. E* really needs one of the tweener DBS slots or a better Ka slot than the one they have at 85?? so they can do a one dish solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)