Has the DTVPal DVR started shipping yet? (Yes)

The message about the Echostar Terrestrial Digital service is in the pub, but what it boils down to is somebody was setting up a TV guide program on his iphone or something and among the services it provided listings for was Echostar Terrestrial Digital, and the channels listed were American basic-cable channels like Discover and whatnot. Do they provide those OTA in the UK?
I'm not really familiar with the offerings in the UK, but I just Google'd and the answer appears to be yes. From this link:
I bought the ECHOSTAR T-105 Top Up TV To Go pack (£89.99 Argos No 16 day return) as a Christmas present for my 70 year old father in law - He has no real problems with it. After reading all the bad reviews the THOMSON DTI2300 & 2305 have received I was worried about buying a freeview/Top Up TV set top box and couldn't find any views on the ECHOSTAR T-105 so this should help all who need to know. The ECHOSTAR T-105 is an excellent unit. The digital quality TV pictures are very crisp, The Freeview channels offer a reasonable selection of alternative viewing. The 8 day TV guide is an real advantage for easy checking what's on. The Interactive (Press the Red Button) ads another dimension to viewing and works fine on the channels that transmit the service. In my opinion Top Up TV is not worth the £7.99 per month extra, (but I still went for this option to be future proof) Only any 4 of the 10 channels are transmitted at any one time. That said, if you want Cartoon network or Boomerang (Cartoons) for the kids or the Discovery channel and can't afford Sky it's probably just about worth it.

One other questions guys...I suppose the remote is an IR and not a UHF. My friend has a an HDTV downstairs that would love to hook that up, but also has a SDTV upstairs. Can both TV's be hooked and up and use the DTVPal DVR as a media server like I do with my 722 and feed two TV's, even if the signal's the same and just being mirrored?

One other questions guys...I suppose the remote is an IR and not a UHF. My friend has a an HDTV downstairs that would love to hook that up, but also has a SDTV upstairs. Can both TV's be hooked and up and use the DTVPal DVR as a media server like I do with my 722 and feed two TV's, even if the signal's the same and just being mirrored?
Sure. All outputs are active simultaneously on the DTVPal DVR.

On a related subject...Has anyone tested to see if their Dish UHF remote will change channels on the DTVPal DVR (while covering up the IR transmitter)? In other words, does the DTVPal DVR have a UHF receiver?

Does anyone know if the new dtv pal dvr uses name based recording like the 622/722 receivers , or if it is a digital vcr like the old 721,500 series of dvrs? I can't tell by reading the manual , so I wondered if anyone has gotten one yet and if so, can they tell the difference ?

Does anyone know if the new dtv pal dvr uses name based recording like the 622/722 receivers , or if it is a digital vcr like the old 721,500 series of dvrs? I can't tell by reading the manual , so I wondered if anyone has gotten one yet and if so, can they tell the difference ?

No, it's time based recording. You can click on the show in the EPG, but then there's no option for NEW episodes only. There's only daily, weekly and such.

So after some more time of "playing", does anyone have any more news or notes on using their DTVPal DVR?

I'm still thinking about getting one and going to strictly OTA TV.

Thanks.

Has anyone succesfully expanded the storage capacity yet? I would really like to get one so that I have additional OTA storage and tuners, but 30 hours just won't cut it.

No, it's time based recording. You can click on the show in the EPG, but then there's no option for NEW episodes only. There's only daily, weekly and such.

It also doesn't have the folders like the 722, or the ability to limit the # of recordings of a specified show.

Sure would be nice if these features were added with an update.

So after some more time of "playing", does anyone have any more news or notes on using their DTVPal DVR?

Thanks.

Not sure if it's a hardware or software problem, but it randomly reboots itself numerous times a day. There's a thread on another site with a poll that seems to indicate about half of the people have noticed the reboot issue. It can't be trusted if you really want to watch or record something. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

Not sure if it's a hardware or software problem, but it randomly reboots itself numerous times a day. There's a thread on another site with a poll that seems to indicate about half of the people have noticed the reboot issue. It can't be trusted if you really want to watch or record something. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

this is only true for a limited number of people though. something like 1 in a 100 or less.

Thanks.

OK. Here's an update of my experience after using it for a couple of weeks.

What I like about the DTVPal DVR:
Good picture with both HDMI and component.
Tuner sensitivity is a little better than the one in the 722.
Having two independent tuners.
All the trick plays work.
Being able to record from guide selection.
No subscription fee.

What I don't like so much:
The remote conflicts with other Dish receivers. (The remote address can be changed, but there is no mention of this in the manual.)
The guide depends on info provided by local stations. Most stations in my area provide it, but a couple do not. Two stations have listings that go out 48 hrs. Most are only about 12 hrs.
No named-based recording. Recordings are time-based like the old 921, so you'll miss your show if it gets shifted to another day or time.
While a PIP view of the program you are watching is present when you select MENU listings, neither the PIP nor sound is available when you select the program guide. I hate this, because I'm used to checking the guide while watching a show.

Bugs:
Even though you can schedule a guide update for a specific time (say 1am), updates will spontaneously occur at unpredictable times. As far as I can tell, they do not terminate recordings in progress, but they do completely stop the playback of recordings and lock the controls until the new guide info is loaded (this takes about two minutes). You then have to re-start the recording you were watching.
I've gotten a couple error screens reporting loss of ethernet connection even though I don't have an ethernet connection.
I've gone to the DtvPal website to check for software updates, but there are none currently available. It just says Coming Soon....

this is only true for a limited number of people though. something like 1 in a 100 or less.

What makes you believe that? It appears as though 50 percent have noticed the problem from the poll I saw. I think it is probably alot more than that with the problem, because who watches their television 24 hours a day?

What makes you believe that? It appears as though 50 percent have noticed the problem from the poll I saw. I think it is probably alot more than that with the problem, because who watches their television 24 hours a day?

simple. i figure only 1 in 100 people frequent that other site. since at the time it seemed most of them were having trouble of one sort or another, that would mean 1 in 100.

I might be wrong. it could be more like 1 in 1000 or even less.

I have not experienced any trouble with mine and I did do a marathon 2day recording, watching and trick play session with no trouble at all.

What software version are you using? If it is hooked up to net by ethernet, check for a software update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts