Has this "feature" always existed????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
My wife and I were casually watching a "COPS" marathon on Court TV on the ViP622. We paused for several minutes to talk, then picked up where we left off. We skipped through commercials as we were in buffer until finally we were live. An hour in there, the other tuner recorded a complete episode of "The Unit" on CBS HD (East Coast). While surfing the board, I read this post about how after the software upgrade (L359), this user was consistently getting reboots by pressing the swap button:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=593466&postcount=34

So, now that we were "live" (its about 9PM), we were going to switch over to the NBA playoff game. Our choices are ABC HD OTA, or Dish provided HD LiL, or obviously Dish provided SD. Since we consistently get great quality on ABC via OTA, that was my choice. However, before I switched channels, I thought I'd see if the swap button caused a reboot like it did to the previous poster (I was just gonna give him feedback). So when I pushed the swap button, there was no reboot, but it quite serendipitously turned over to the game on ABC HD-OTA. (We never use PIP. We've played around with it, but its essentially an un-used feature for us.) So, obviously ABC OTA is the tuner we'd last been on. Hence the reason it swapped to it.

The game's been on for an hour, now, right? Right after we "swapped" it to ABC HD-OTA, we saw something we wanted to look at again, so I skipped back. It seemed to have skipped back further that when we'd "swapped" to the channel, so I kept going back, finally in fast rewind...ultimately for the entire preceding hour to the beginning of the game. It had been buffered!

The ViP had done the following:
  • Recorded a 1-hour event off a Sat Tuner
  • Buffered a live event on a Sat Tuner
  • Buffered an unwatched event on the only OTA Tuner

Now I clearly understand that we've got 2-Sat Tuners and 1 ATSC Tuner. However, I had no idea that it buffered 2 Tuners whether they're being watched or not.

That's pretty nifty, if you're into using the PIP.

Now, if I'd really wanted to see the game from the beginning, I'd have simply set a timer.

I suppose some of you hardcore guys were already aware of this, but I've never heard it mentioned. It would seem to be a good selling feature for some.

Yep, I use it all the time, it actually gives you 4 channels to go back and forth to by using the "Recall" button.

Last edited:
Dirtydan said:
Yep, I use it all the time, it actually gives you 4 channels to go back and forth to by using the "Recall" button.

Yea but "recalling" will kill the buffer as it's acutally "changing" the channel on the current tuner. Then you can no longer rewind or skip back.

What I think he was talking about was by using the swap button, you're just switching tuners and therefore whatever channel that tuner was set to still had it's buffer.

The only problem with swap is (unless you're recording) it always puts you back in live mode so you have to rewind / skip back if you want to pick up where you left off - even if you had it paused.

Doesn't make any sense to me why it can't stay paused when you swap tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts