Have 622. Want HD on 2 tv's. Options?

hdtvnewbie

Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
midwest
Are there ways to allow HD to be switched between TV1 and TV2 on the 622?

Wife watches a lot of tv upstairs on a small HD capable set using SD from the TV2 output. I can't stand the poor picture quality in SD on our 50" HD tv set downstairs. Would like to find a simple solution to allow HD to be viewed most of the time upstairs, but relatively easily switched to the downstairs TV when needed. Not interested enough to spend for a 2nd HD receiver.

Is there some technical reason DISH has no DUAL HD TUNER receivers (other than making more money selling 2 receivers of course).

The only way to have 2 TV's on a 622/722/722k, etc. is to use component + optical cable or RCA for audio and the other uses HDMI.

The problem is that with this arrangement, you cannot watch different programming since both HD outputs are tied to TV1.

If you want to record HD programming for two seperate independent viewers, you MUST have 2 receivers.

THe simplest way to do 2 independent HDTVs from 2 receivers is to use ViP211's and set them up a DVR's by adding an external HDD (one time $40 fee for all 211's on your account).

I have one 722k and 3 211's - all record independently and are connected to different HDTVs.

BTY, ALL tuners in Dish HD receivers are HD tuners, it's just that the TV2 output is downrezed to SD when output.

The TV2 output is for TVs in a remote location so using coax was the simplest way to transmit the signal and program providers will not allow ANYONE to re-transmit ATSC signals if they can help it.

The new 922 has TV1 HD and sling connection for TV2 which CAN be hd if you have the right components to use it - still in Beta.

I bought a powered HDMI splitter and a 25' HDMI cable from monoprice.com (WAY cheaper than you'd think) so that we can have HD in the bedroom and living room... but as Jim5506 stated, this just splits the HD signal from TV1 so you have to watch the same thing on both TV's in HD. But i also left coax hooked up to my bedroom TV too, so if the wife wants to watch something besides what i want to watch, she goes to the bedroom and watches in SD while i watch HD in the living room or vice versa.

However, you can have both TV's hooked up both via HDMI and coax. That way if your wife wants to watch something and you want to watch something else you can.. one just has to be watching in SD... but at least this way you have HD access on both TV's.

Thanks to both for your feedback. I don't fully understand dropping tv2 output to SD. If the program providers charge by the sets viewing their content, why not just mandate that hdtv receivers can only have 1 output? As far as I know all TV's sold now are hdtv capable so can display both HD and SD resolutions.

I think Shaudods HDMI splitter solution will work for us. I suppose using component cables would also work. How far can you run HDMI before you need the amplifier? Problem is plumbing an HDMI cable to the upstairs tv. Coax is already there. I guess there may be a need for an additional TV1 remote for upstairs use since I don't think the DISH TV2 remote can operate TV1's channels on the 622.. Probably need an additional step of using the OEM upstairs TV remote (one that came with the tv) to switch input signals.

I want to connect my 622 - in single mode - to both my HD TV (via HDMI) and my Slingbox Pro HD (via component video + audio). I understand that the TV and the Slingbox will have to 'watch' the same channels, but that's perfectly acceptable for my purpose.

Will this work?

Yes, that will work. Since both HDTV and Slingbox Pro HD are connected to TV1, you don't need to be in single mode either.

Good point TK. In may case, single mode is desirable as I just gotta have that PiP/split screen capability for my evening channel surfing sessions. :)

My primary reason for asking was to verify that the 622 won't disable the component output if it detects an HDMI device is connected.

... so if the wife wants to watch something besides what i want to watch, she goes to the bedroom and watches in SD while i watch HD in the living room or vice versa. ...
And you would have to switch to Dual Mode using the switch on front of the receiver console.

My primary reason for asking was to verify that the 622 won't disable the component output if it detects an HDMI device is connected.

it won't I have 2 tvs slaved-mirrored this way. My distance tv is connected via HDMI and my close to the STB is component and optical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)