Have 722, cann't use external ant.

pmgreen

Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I have a 722 receiver but am not able to get local news HD so I have an external antenna. A I able to tie the antenna into the 722 and record?

On the dishnetwork site is says locals are available but talking to a rep said that is wrong.

any ideas?

Gary,

When I go to the DN site, and check local HD channels it does say there are available. But the CSRs said it is not available. I do receive local HD channel through a hi-def antenna but not able to record from it.
Thanks,

My zip: Glen, Allen VA 230060

Gary,

I do receive local HD channel through a hi-def antenna but not able to record from it.
Yes, you can record if you are connected properly and have scanned for channels. As said before, if you don't subscribe to SD locals, you would have to set up manual times because your guide will only show "digital service".
I suggest referring to your user's guide.

Connect your antenna to the 722, then go to the local channel setup menu on the 722 and have it scan for local digital channels. If you do not have locals from Dish the local digital channels will appear in the guide as "Digital Service" with no program information, but you can still record from them by setting manual timers. The 622/722 will not receive analog channels.

Yes, I set manual timers all the time for OTA recordings. Just like a VCR. You just can't select from the EPG to record. And then, once it's in your DVR, you can rename if you wish (it will just say "digital" or some such, IIRC).

Last edited:
Gary,

When I go to the DN site, and check local HD channels it does say there are available. But the CSRs said it is not available. I do receive local HD channel through a hi-def antenna but not able to record from it.
Thanks,

My zip: Glen, Allen VA 230060

Does the channels listed show any with the HD designation? If not, it means the HD channels are available via OTA, not by Dish. You have to read the notations on the page.

I have a set of really old rabbit ears, can I use those?
Maybe, maybe not. If it has UHF rings and you live within 10-20 miles of your towers, you might. Most digital channels are in the UHF spectrum. If it is so old it has just the two "ears", then no.

Maybe, maybe not. If it has UHF rings and you live within 10-20 miles of your towers, you might. Most digital channels are in the UHF spectrum. If it is so old it has just the two "ears", then no.

Actually, I am able to get a UHF digital station on channel 40 about 44 miles from home (distance per FCC website) with a non-amplified Terk indoor antenna.

Most are uhf, but the two we run here, are VHF. Does anyone want to guess how many "Professional" dish installers install UHF ONLY antennas here and then can't get our two? Lots. Peeve's off many when we tell the customers and then the customer changes the antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)