Have A Few Questions Before I Order Voom

WideScreen Feen

Original poster
May 29, 2004
Hi,im new to this site and am very interested in ordering voom,but have a few questions before i make the plunge and I'de appreciate any help on answering these questions.

(1)-I own a widescreen Tv and if I order voom will the non high defintion channels have black bars on both sides of the screen and if it does,is there a way to adjust that?

(2)Is there any delay between changing channels,and if so,how long is it?

(3)Are the OTA channels all in high definition or does it depend on what certain shows are broadcasted in?

(4)Is voom expected to get G4TechTv anytime soon?

(5)Is the picture on voom's HD channels that much better than DVD and how is the audio?

I know I asked alot of questions,but they're pretty important considering the money I'll be spending.Thanks and keep on vooming. :welcome

(1)-I own a widescreen Tv and if I order voom will the non high defintion channels have black bars on both sides of the screen and if it does,is there a way to adjust that?

It depends. There's only one function that will stretch the image on the VOOM stb. I find it that even using this function, it leaves like one inch left and right vertical bar so the 16x9 screen is not completely fill on my TV. On others Tvs this has worked. Now, it could be that your Tv has better stretching modes it will allow you to stretch the image. My Tv allows me to do this through component but not through DVI.

(2)Is there any delay between changing channels,and if so,how long is it?

Yes, I guess 3-4 seconds. Same delay as Dish Network - I think.

(3)Are the OTA channels all in high definition or does it depend on what certain shows are broadcasted in?

On all their propietary channels everything has been HD (even if repeated). On others channels content is increasing but they do show some SD programs. Like TNT-HD is not showing anything HD but the basketball game so far. The same with ESPN-HD. Again this you will find in any other provider cable or satellite.

(4)Is voom expected to get G4TechTv anytime soon?

Don't know...

(5)Is the picture on voom's HD channels that much better than DVD and how is the audio?

Overall I would say YES. But relative to the same movie on DVD. For example, if I show you a cinema 10 movie, you would probably be dissapointed because it shows grain and it is not as sharp as the newer movies. If you compare this movie on Cinema 10 to its corresponding DVD, it will be better. If you compare it to a DVD for the LORD of The Rings, it will be unfair.

By the way, Welcome :)

WideScreen Feen said:
...I know I asked alot of questions,but they're pretty important considering the money I'll be spending....

If you do the current $0 down lease program, you'll only be spending a maximum of a months worth of programming to try it out. :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)