Have a round Starchoice 31" dish....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When I click on the location of my satellite the box that pops up says:
"Copyright 2007-2014
To use satbeams fully you have to have mug like this IMG_20150220_235149 (Large).jpg
or go to direct link to satellite footprints and look for your location :shh and it does not matter what browser you are using. And when you click on your location additional window will appear to show you some additional information including recommended dish size. ScreenHunter_186 Feb. 21 20.24.jpg

Just making a suggestion if you want to use what you already have. Your existing 76cm dish would be adequate for most KU channels. A 90cm dish would be better and provide more reliable reception. Just depends on how much you want to spend on the hobby at this point.

Post binder clamps are available at most hardware and feed stores. They are used to link chain temporarily link fence panels and fence posts.

Attached is all I see. If I click on the box, I get an email form that sends an email to the site admin. It has to be because I don't have the coffee cup

screenshot-www satbeams com 2015-02-21 12-32-15.jpeg

I see that according to data you need at least 70cm dish.
I would to Titanium you better use bigger dish (just to be able to call it satellite dish not kitchen dish :bounce ) . For sat dishes size is always better when it is bigger
ScreenHunter_188 Feb. 21 21.43.jpg

Get it* 'right' and the 30 inch dish will do quite well for a lot. There will be quite a few that will be 'out of reach', like 125W, which most have found needs a 1.0 meter or more. Quite a few 'wild feeds' will also be too weak. 103W is also a 'no go'. (Skew is also wonky)
For those that my 30 inch doesn't work, that I do want to receive (99W &125W), I've got fixed dishes set up. (Got to get something aimed at 103 myself)
*IT. aiming, tracking and LNBF position spot on.

Satbeams - I've had to open a different satellite link in another tab for them to work. Changing the 'view' 5 or 45 degrees works OK. That's been the norm for a couple of years using chrome or firefox. C or Ku selection links work OK, they are just above the map. (Small 'icons' of the related map)

1. 103W is also a 'no go'. (Skew is also wonky)

2. For those that my 30 inch doesn't work, that I do want to receive (99W &125W), I've got fixed dishes set up. (Got to get something aimed at 103 myself)

3. Satbeams - I've had to open a different satellite link in another tab for them to work. Changing the 'view' 5 or 45 degrees works OK. That's been the norm for a couple of years using chrome or firefox. C or Ku selection links work OK, they are just above the map. (Small 'icons' of the related map)

1. Is 103 a "no go" with the 30" or "just in general difficult to get whatever you use, because of wonky skew"? That looks like it would be a good one to be able to get.

2. From the looks of it, the only wild feed on 99W is russia today? and on 125w, it just looks like PBS feeds, right?

3. I'm not sure I understand that sentence. What do you mean "by changing the view"? And I am not sure what you mean by "C or Ku selection links work OK, they are just above the map". If you clarify, it would help.

4. What kind of feeds show up on 127w? the maps don't really suggest anything.

Thanks

1. Is 103 a "no go" with the 30" -- Only thing that comes in, and it's not that stable, is the Huntington beach feed. All else is a no show. If that's a 'must have' get a bigger dish for the motor** or to place as fixed.. (**may also be be beneficial to use a 2nd LNBF set for the 'wonky' skew)
2. From the looks of it,-99W- There are news feeds also. too weak to see on the 30 inch.
RT and NHK are bouncing around 45 Quality with the 30 inch - Marginal. While on the 1 meter are Q 75.

3. Clipboard01.jpg changing the view 5 or 45 degrees E or W.
4. 127W? It's C band only. from time to time, there's a wild feed anywhere, on any satellite.

Last edited:
From the looks of it, the only wild feed on 99W is russia today?
no ....... the feeds he's referring to on 99W are the newsfeeds. they are the feeds where you see the news reporter out in the field doing a live report. they do their report then the feed is gone. see pic for the transponder etc. they are about 10db lower in signal level than Russia today so you'll have a hard time getting them at all with a 30inch dish.

Attachments

• 99w.pdf
    183.4 KB · Views: 135
If I decided to go with a 90cm or 1.2m dish, would I still want a Stab 90 or would I get another model? I ordered the 90 today, but since it is on a weekend, I may be able to change the order (I hope) if I need to.

I was using an HH120 with a 48" (120cm) dish and the motor casting broke in <100mph winds. I had it repaired and still use it, works great on a 39" dish I have mounted on it now. It's a great motor for FTA. Oly draw-back is that it's a bit slow compared to the other cheaper units, because it is geared lower to handle the larger weights without adding extra electrical load on the receiver.
I would suggest not using a 120cm dish where it will be exposed to high winds as you describe, especially mounted on a motor. The Star Choice dish will be a bit small but ok for most satellite signals, and you can always get a bigger dish later if you feel your signals aren't strong enough or you want to pick out some of the weaker TPs. I don't have an HH90 but I would expect it would work fine with a 31" dish; but the HH120 gives you headroom for if you want to add a larger dish later. Cost is certainly another factor.
Have fun with your project, that's what it's all about! :)
-C.

The STAB HH90 is suitable for either dish. The HH120 mast is too large for either the current Winegard or 90cm and would only fit the 1.2m dish.

I agree that the motorized 1.2m dish would not be recommended for your high wind location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.