Have one account for 2 locations?

your example doesn't track. what the 'theft of service' idiots think is illegal, is more like this. I have a trash can at the street, my neighbor throws something into it. He is guilty of 'theft of service' what a bunch of crap!

for your example, you would have to buy a microwave that can heat your food over a large distance. let's say from your office to your house. when you bought it, you told them that you would be using it at the office. you now decide to use it at the house. you would be 'guilty' of 'theft of service'. that really makes sense.

why aren't all people with radio's guilty of the same thing? they are receiving a service without paying for it.

Edit - I like trash can analogies better. I pay for two trash cans at my house in town. I take one of them to my house in the country and leave it there. While I'm at the country house I deposit trash in the can. I leave it out at the road and the trashman empties it. This is considered 'theft of service' since my country house isn't included in that trashmans route. Even though it's the same company and I DO pay for two cans. hopefully you can see how completly stupid it is to call this illegal.

hopefully you can see how completly stupid it is to call this illegal.
No I don't. Dish Network pays a set fee to each of the right holders to transmit the channel to a single household. The subscriber then pays Dish Network a set fee to recieve the programming in a single household.

None of the additional outlet fee goes to the rights holders of the programming.

If Dish (or Directv) allowed a single account to be recieved in multiple households, they would be in breach of their contracts with the copywrite holders and could be sued and/or lose access to the programming.

household is defined as?
A single location/dwelling.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/legal/RCA.pdf
H.
Private Home Viewing Only. DISH Network provides Services to you solely for viewing, use and enjoyment in your private home. You agree that no Services provided to you will be viewed in areas open to the public, commercial establishments or other residential locations. Services may not be rebroadcast or performed, and admission may not be charged for listening to or viewing any Services. If your Services are viewed in an area open to the public, a commercial establishment or another residential location, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you must pay us the difference between the price actually paid for Services and the full applicable rate for such Services, regardless of whether we have the right to distribute such Services in such other location.

better make sure none of your tv's are facing a window. and turn down the volumne. and disconnect the slingboxs.

Last edited:
Because the radio station's already paid the copywrite holders (songwriters) for the priviledge to broadcast the signal free and clear.

Ah...but....when the big Music leaches come to town, (B*I A***P and S**C) they'll visit local businesses playing local radio and tell THEM to buy the same rights as the station is already paying! And, they're NOT very friendly. Double dipping? Yep.

Ah...but....when the big Music leaches come to town, (B*I A***P and S**C) they'll visit local businesses playing local radio and tell THEM to buy the same rights as the station is already paying! And, they're NOT very friendly. Double dipping? Yep.
If I remember right, there's a message every so often on the radio that says the music is for the sole viewing of their listening audience and not intended for any commercial uses. A business playing it would be a commerical use.

why is it every time one of these threads comes up it turns into a pissing match over it? People have views on it and arent going to change their views just because someone else posts their opposing view.

My dad has Dish. He has one receiver that we take to the lake house when we go. His other receiver stays at home (I'm not unhooking a DVR every time). We're not going to call Dish each time because its the same DMA as home (Minneapolis) so we are still getting the locals we pay for. Nobody else is at home so the other receiver isnt being used (unless he decides to record something). We are not doing anything wrong. We've been doing this for 13 years now. Heck even Charlie himself said to take it to the cabin (but if I remember right he said to keep it there).

Having multiple receivers at multiple locations at the same time is account splitting. Plain and simple
But for folks who take one receiver to the cabin/lakehouse/rv for the weekend and bring it back.....I see no issue.

cuz it really gets under my skin. i pay for two full accounts just so i don't get in trouble. even though it's not possible for me to be in both places at one time.

But the Dish Network "expert" said you must have 2 accounts on that single reciever. ;)

oh god thats right...arguing with Jimmy Long about that (he said I needed two accounts but I only had one receiver so its impossible)....but no that was my account when I had Dish. When I cancelled Dish we just moved that receiver over to dad's account (and upgraded it since then to a 322)

oh god thats right...arguing with Jimmy Long about that (he said I needed two accounts but I only had one receiver so its impossible)....
Yeah, that one was so fun. I think you got banned and I got a warning/demerit (for arguing with a mod) on that one.

ya, but being banned there is a badge of honor!!

actually, you CAN have two accounts and one receiver. You change the physical location of that receiver from one account to the other.

See post #15

Last edited:
yep. 2nd time I was banned there ;)

Toublemaker. :D

I would think what Iceberg described meets the intent of the contract. If you go outside your intended viewing area, and get your RSN's or even your locals because you are still within the spotbeam, that is where the problem is.

actually, you CAN have two accounts and one receiver. You change the physical location of that receiver from one account to the other.
Actually that's still the same account, all you're doing is changing the service address.

JL actually told Ice that he had to have 2 seperate billing accounts on the 1 reciever, which was pretty much impossible. Ice and I pretty told showed him for the idiot that he was. I'm still shocked I didn't get banned with him and only got a demerit.

See post #15
You need to re-read the post you're citing. A Snowbird account is not two accounts but a single account with two exclusively populated residential locations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)