Have to leave DTV: How Do I Not Get Billed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

adamhochman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Hello,
After over 2 years I have to leave DTV. I am wondering how to do so without getting billed (ie getting out of my 2 year contract I signed when I got the HD Tivo last year)? I seem to recall discussion about this a while ago.

From what I have been told, I have a $300 termination fee that is prorated (leaving me on the hook for about $100 when I have to cancel). But I have heard I can avoid this by returning the equipment (I have a 80gb DVR and the HD Tivo). Is this true? Or, is there another way to avoid getting billed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adam

Hello,
After over 2 years I have to leave DTV. I am wondering how to do so without getting billed (ie getting out of my 2 year contract I signed when I got the HD Tivo last year)? I seem to recall discussion about this a while ago.

From what I have been told, I have a $300 termination fee that is prorated (leaving me on the hook for about $100 when I have to cancel). But I have heard I can avoid this by returning the equipment (I have a 80gb DVR and the HD Tivo). Is this true? Or, is there another way to avoid getting billed?

Adam
Seeing you didn't keep a copy of your contract call 800-531-5000 and ask D* about the terms of your contract. None of us here have a copy of your contract, yes there was a contract that allowed you to return the equipment and that cancelled you obligation.:)

Hello,

Adam

Just curious, why are you leaving?

Fios is available where i live so better service for the same price. I was unhappy with DTV's failure to really do much with their next gen HD DVR. But mostly it's the better pq with Fios (plus, i don't need sunday ticket)

Fios is available where i live so better service for the same price. I was unhappy with DTV's failure to really do much with their next gen HD DVR. But mostly it's the better pq with Fios (plus, i don't need sunday ticket)

Those seem like pretty petty excuses. If you knew fios was coming to your area, why did you make the commitment to D*?

Those seem like pretty petty excuses. If you knew fios was coming to your area, why did you make the commitment to D*?

spoken like a true hypocrite considering how you've jumped around based on your signature (hello pot) of 3 moves in the last few years. for the record (not that i should have to justify myself to you), fios tv wasn't even around when i re-upped. i gave dtv a chance and their new hd dvr (from what i've read) is not that great. plus, their sd pq on my tv is pretty poor. so i decided to move on, something that you've obviously done yourself, but hey, i'm not questioning your reasons...

Better Picture Quality a petty excuse? I don't think so! Additionally, FiOS TV is being offered three miles away from my home, but it may be 3 months or 3 years before it is offered in my neck of the woods based on Verizon's ever-changing deployement models.

Good luck with your FiOS TV Adam...

Better Picture Quality a petty excuse? I don't think so! Additionally, FiOS TV is being offered three miles away from my home, but it may be 3 months or 3 years before it is offered in my neck of the woods based on Verizon's ever-changing deployement models.

Good luck with your FiOS TV Adam...

Thanks. Keep the faith rffjim. I live somewhat near you (Maryland) and even though it took a while (Verizon actually had to take the county to court to get them to approve fios tv), from what i've heard, it sounds like it'll be worth it. Plus, getting your house wired for fiber optics for free is not a bad thing (although i'll have to get rid of my inexpensive dsl).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts