Have you canceled your $9.99 HD Package?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
RJS said:
I haven't cancelled mine but I agree, they need to add more. HDNET and Discovery keep re-running everything. ESPN only has a HD game once in a while. It's kind of like part time HD but we're paying for full time HD.

Gee, the last time I looked at HBO/Showtime/Starz they pretty much ran the same slate of movies for a month or so, then brought some new ones in, etc. That's why I ended up cancelling my HBO.

I'm not defending the $10 for 4 HD stns ... I want more too. But repetition is not confined to the HD networks.

I consider it a 10 dollar a month payment towards the full price of the 811.
149 plus 120 for the bonus programming. I use the the HD package as filler when not watching something else.. great way to show of HD in the middle of the day.

It got a lot better than it used to be. Last year it was $8 or $9 for just Discovery HD Theatre, now you've got that plus HDNet, HDNet Movies, and ESPNHD. ESPNHD is usually not worth anything though, but I really enjoy HDNet. The HDNet world report is very interesting to watch, I liked that one where they went to Israel and Palestine to see what is going on with the wall. True Music is interesting too, some of the bands are good and some are not.

My point is, that we got a lot more bang for the buck a few months ago, and it will get better in the future. HDTV is starting to become more mainstream now, and the OTA locals show pretty much all of the scripted shows in HD now. As far as HBO, I subscribe to that, look through the channel guide, and record the things I want to see when I want to watch them. Actually, I do that with everything now. The 921 is great for that, just a few more bugs to iron out!

Still subscribing. I like HDNet and still watch quite a bit on Discovery HD. It's not as much programming as I would like, but I'll take what I can get.

I havent cancelled (yet). Funny I was just thinking about cancelling because of the repeats. If they would only add at least 2-3 more channels by june it would be worth it.

However, most of my HD viewing is OTA (FREE). But I think Dish makes the 811 buggy so I cant even watch the OTA without loosing my signal!

I do not think it is worth $10 per month, I only subscribed because Dish hinted that more channels would be added. If more channels are not added for the same $10 per month. The HD package is history. I paid $8 per month for Discovery HD and after so many repeats, I canceled it. Then I resubscribed to the HD package and I am about ready to can it.

I ordered the 811 without the HD Pak. The rep agreed with me that $10 per month is too much for four HD stations. They'd have to double the stations before I'd consider adding it.

Scott

I canceled my HD pack a month and a half after I received the 811.
Thanks to all of the information posted on the Satelliteguys website I was able to get in on the $149.00 deal prior to the additional requirement of the 12 month HD pack.
The ESPN NFL games were great in HD.
I don’t think I ever watched a HDNET movie from start to finish, they seemed to be just a sharper image of an old movie that was missing today’s special effects.
I would have liked to seen the Blackhawk’s NHL games but they were blacked out by Fox Sports. I might try it again if they eventually add more HD programming, or when the NFL season starts this fall.

I would have like to have had more for the money.

Well, since I have an 811, if I cancel the E* HD pack I lose OTA HD, don't I?

On the hockey front - as a long time Gopher hockey supporter -- I HOPE YOU FREEZE YOUR A** (new satellite provider! :) )

Craig

I feel guilty for slammin ESPNHD earlier today, I turn it on tonight to see the Duke/WF game and it looks amazing! And what a great game on top of it.... still not sure if one game a week that looks like this makes up for the lack of other quality tv on that channel...

Craig Henrikson said:
Well, since I have an 811, if I cancel the E* HD pack I lose OTA HD, don't I?

No you don't, as long as your 811 is getting a satellite signal your 811 OTA will continue to work.

You do not need the HD pack for OTA signals.

Thanks -- That is good news. How much programming does one need? Could a "simulator" be developed to allow operation without a real program package? - Can I hook the receiver to my ExpressVu dish and still get OTA?

Don't worry about the answers to these questions :) - I'm just thinking out loud- sort of.

Craig

You know maybe Charlie was right to delay the HD pack for as long as he did. People were all griping that DIRECTV had ESPN/HDnet/HDmovies for a while before Dish had them. I prepaid for the HDPack this year (until Jan next year) just for one thing... The Olympics, I figured they would have Bravo-HD up for the Olympics.

Face it, the Dishnetwork people need the DIRECTV-7S satellite up just as badly as the DIRECTV subs do. Until then DIRECTV is going to be limited on HD capacity, Dish knows it and will just hold off on adding more channels to the HDPack. Why bother adding channels your competition does not have?

Craig Henrikson said:
Thanks -- That is good news. How much programming does one need?
My experience has been all you need is enuf to get any type of program guide.. so you really need no programming... ie, an 811 will work OTA out of the box even before it's registered with dish as long as it's receiving a valid signal and can display the guide.

Cancel the HD package? Nah...

As for cancelling the HD package, I would not do it... I have only had it for 2 months so far, but I still enjoy Discovery HD and HDNet and HDnet movies. The way I see it, why would I spend $3000 + on a HD set, and then not pay $10 a month to feed it 4 additional HD signals in addition to the OTA networks?

One thing I concluded before I took the HD set plunge was that if I could not receive the network's HD programming OTA, it would not have been worth the investment in the HD set. I borrowed a friend's OTA HD receiver and verified digital OTA network reception before buying the set. I certainly would never have bought the set based upon only receiving DISH's HD package.

Sure, I'd LOVE to have more... :yes