Have you canceled your $9.99 HD Package?

I haven't cancelled mine yet, but I don't really think the DN HD package is currently worth 9$ a month. Especially since ESPNHD is really a joke. DiscoveryHD and HDNet are really the only 2 channels worth watching as they have native HD content, but are 2 channels really worth 9$ a month? I'm hanging in there for the same reason other people have mentioned (there just aren't many if any other HD options out there). Hopefully, they'll pickup more HD content to make it worth our $jack.

I haven't cancelled mine. I wish there was more, but I have been pleased with some of HDNet (but I didn't like Charlie's Angels in the 70's, and putting it in HD doesn't improve the plots, acting, etc.), and with many of the HD movies. ESPNHD is mostly disappointing, though occasionally they will surprize with a great HD game. But what I really like is DiscoveryHD. Two nights ago I watched "Over Ireland" and "We Built This City -- New York," and both were interesting and visually stunning.

I am still fairly new to HD. I got my HD-ready TV in April 2002, but did not get an HD source until I got my 811 this past Dec. 12. When I first got my TV, I thought that anamorphic DVDs looked so good, how could HD be better? Well, once I got the 811, I saw that it could be (though it isn't always -- as many have noted on this forum, alot depends on the source material). I just wish EVERYTHING was in HD. -- Albert

I don't watch these channels very much as I primarily got the package for the Sunday night football games on ESPN. I've thought about cancelling but I know ESPN will be getting more HD programming in the near future. Hopefully they're still set to debut their new HD facility around the first of April which will mean many, if not all, of their in-house shows such as SportsCenter will be in HD along with the Sunday night baseball package.

Bob

I have had a 6000 for years in a HD capable projector setup and recently got an 811 and bought an HD set for my den. I have never subscribed to the package. I actually was thinking about it, but when I check out the programming, yuck.

For now I'm content to get the OTA digital channels for occasional HD sporting events, and HBO-HD for the occasional movie. Our local PBS station runs an all HD channel that is mostly the same kind of programming as Discovery which is very good, so I've got that covered too.

I'm content to wait for better programming before subscribing to the HD pack.

Hd Pak

I also have the Hd Pak.. I do really enjoye the sports and a few movies.. I wish there was more channels of Hd!!! We all know there is more out there for us?? The Hd pak is not worth the Price for some Hd sports and movies.. Please Please Dish get your head out of your AZZ and get us more HD!! I want to also Congradulate the Voom dbs company hopefully they will put some pressure on Dish..

I added HBO and 75 to 80% of my viewing is HD. Will probably drop the HBO in a few months, but would like to see more HD programming. I find myself watching broadcast channels sometimes if they are doing HD. GOD, i didn't know there could be that many commercials in a half-hour. HBO and other programmers matting SD maddens me more than a lack of programming or ESPN's piss poor stretch job on their SD

Unless Charlie flips again and decides to start putting HD back up on the wing slots I don't think you'd see anymore HD until AMC-15 gets up to 105 and Superdish can do what E* originally said it was going to do, provide up to 50 HD channels. I may be wrong but where would E* come up with additional space on 110 and 119 for more HD????

mike123abc said:
You know maybe Charlie was right to delay the HD pack for as long as he did.
DIRECTV is going to be limited on HD capacity, Dish knows it and will just hold off on adding more channels to the HDPack. Why bother adding channels your competition does not have?
To pick up new subs and to please your current subs? To keep your word to be the HD leader?
Just a few guesses........

AndyMon said:
To pick up new subs and to please your current subs? To keep your word to be the HD leader?
Just a few guesses........
exactly plus actually having the hardware like the 921 and the 811 dosent hurt much either by the way what exactly does q&a mean i think i know i just like the exact wording on it :cool:

metallicafreak said:
I briefly considered cancelling but there are no alternatives IMO:
Cable:compressed and no DVR by me. Temptation: more channels
D*: compressed more, no DVR yet, same if not a little less content (for now)
VOOM: I am not laying out more money to install. If I spent even another cent, my wife will KILL me for sure.
So I am pretty much stuck. I like the 921 but I really REALLY FING WANT MORE HD!!!
Come on E* put up!!!
FREAK~!

You can VOOM for free now by renting the receivers instrad of buying them according to a VOOM csr.

When I ordered my 811, the HD package wasn't a requirement so I didn’t order it. I only subscribe to AT120 and locals (kept the locals so I could record local programs to my 501). I don't subscribe to any of the pay services because I either rent the DVD or see the movie at the theater.

When Dish comes out with enough HD content that warrants $10 extra a month and fixes the problems they have with the 811 (and 921), I may rethink my decision. Because of the SD output darkness problems with the 811, I really only use it to watch locals via OTA when they are broadcasting in HD. Otherwise, I use my 501 which is hooked up to my Sony along with my 811.

I might consider cancelling, except that I don't want to lose Discovery HD, and I occasionally get to see a movie worth watching on the HDNet Movie channel. I don't see much worth watching on HDNet itself, and I think ESPN HD is a joke, but then again, I'm not much of a sports fan.

If I cancel anything, it will probably be HBO - very little there that I want to see, and way too much stuff that I think is disgusting, with maybe a small handful of movies each year that I actually want to watch.

I cancelled my HD package the day after the last NFL game on ESPN. I had the AEP plan for $93.00. What was I getting above and beyond the $47 top 150 plan:
HDnet Movies has the cheesiest movies around- and they look soft to boot.
HDnet programming was hit-or-miss-without PVR ability there is nothing on when you want it.
HD-HBO original programming is not that interesting and they alter the OAR of movies.
Showtime HD has some halfway decent movies, but once again they never seem to be on when you can watch them.
Discovery HD was pretty interesting to watch at times, but there's only so much info-tainment on can take.
ESPN-HD football was truly great.
As far as the SD 4:3 movie channels-its a big ball of sh**. I wouldnt be caught dead watching that pan n scan garbage.

So basically I was paying $43 extra for 2 1/2 channels of HD. I am waiting till this fall to make a choice between E, D or V. Whichever company gives me a usable HD-PVR with firewire out and enough HD content to fill it up will get my business. Until then, I'll get my HD fix for free OTA with my 6000 and pvr for free with my 7200.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)