Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
In Cleveland its starting to really feel like fall. Temps in the 40s during the day and the 30s at night. I've gotten by with an electric oil filled radiator in the bedroom at night, but the house is starting to get chilly - - - 61 degrees. I might have to bite the bullet today and fire up the furnace.

Have you had to turn your heat on yet?

In Cleveland its starting to really feel like fall. Temps in the 40s during the day and the 30s at night. I've gotten by with an electric oil filled radiator in the bedroom at night, but the house is starting to get chilly - - - 61 degrees. I might have to bite the bullet today and fire up the furnace.

Have you had to turn your heat on yet?

Yes. It's been on for over a month now. (kicks on whenever house is below 69°F). Not looking forward to those natural gas bills though.

As an alternative, I'm looking into getting a cast iron wood burning stove. Right now, I have a gas fireplace with fake logs. It's primarily for visual appeal and doesn't give off much heat. I'm thinking about taking that out and putting a wood burning stove in there and routing the flue up through the chimney.

Does anyone have any experience converting a gas fireplace into accepting something like this?

The picture shown below is a wood burning stove similar to what I'm talking about...

stoves%203.gif

I turned on my PS3 for folding duty a couple weeks back...

I have also fired up the furnace a couple nights since it was 30 degrees outside and we have 2 little ones under 5 years old and to check everything out before I REALLY need it.

nope- thermostat set at 60. May have kicked on once or twice but wife is fanatic about not turning it up. Snow tonight might change her mind:)

Had to start the furnace this morning because wife had left bedroom window open part of the night and it was in the mid 30's outside wich this time last year would have been in the low 60's.

just turned it on a week ago. course I just moved in then, so that makes sense. Been in the 40's for a few weeks here in the DC area.

Not on yet unless you count my electric blanket, which has been getting a workout of late! I have a "policy" of not turning on any room heat until 11/1, but with the cold snap we're having I might move that up a couple of days. My daughter is home now for the winter months (she has seasonal work in another area) and asked about starting-up the wood stove in the basement. I have no issues with that. There's plenty of wood there now to get us started even tho' I still need to put in another 2 cords or so before I'm ready for the rest of the season (~3 cords used typically; ~2 held in reserve). We do about half our heating with that stove, the rest is electric. The wood is all "free" (net of my time, wear-and-tear on the truck, chain saw expenses, back ache, etc. etc., ad nauseum...!)

Turned the oil boiler on last week. Was using electric space heaters for a couple weeks at night, but the wife finally made me turn on the hot water baseboards, and start burning that $3 oil. :(

Central heating turned on two weeks ago..... Low last night was 34 so it will be on until April or May now in NJ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)