Having both FTA and Dish Network in an Apartment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattwj2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Hi guys,

This is my first post into the forum. I have a quick question. Legally, do I have the right to put up two dishes on an apartment balcony? I know the FCC gives you the right to put up "a dish" but I don't know how the law stands as far as multiple dishes. I want to put up a dish (from Dish Network) so I can get paid channels cheaper than cable and I like the idea of free unencrypted legal channels from FTA as well.

Thanks.

Matt

From the relevant portion of the FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas document:

Q: Can a restriction limit the number of antennas that may be installed at a particular location?
The Commission’s rule covers the antennas necessary to receive service. Therefore, a local rule may not, for example, allow only one antenna if more than one antenna is necessary to receive the desired service.

I guess my next question would be are FTA and Dish Network considered multiple services? Does the FCC give me the right to have multiple satellite services in one apartment.

They sure are multiple services. FTA from any individual satellite is considered a class of DBS services. Even more compelling, in my opinion, is that the two services require different hardware to receive. You cannot, for instance, receive Glorystar's package using Dish Network dishes and LNBs. You are further entitled to receive any service you desire.

So legally can I put up two dishes for two different services no matter what my apartment says?

Hehe.. Since you used the word "legally", we now go to the disclaimer that I'm not a lawyer. I'm happy to offer my interpretation of the rules, and you must take that for what it is worth. I simply am not able to confirm absolutely that you will not be kicked out or taken to court or have your car tires slashed. I live in an apartment, and installed several dishes without asking or informing anyone, based on my own confidence in my understanding of the rules. Perhaps my apartment doesn't care, as I've never been asked to remove them, but it's clear I'm ready to defend myself and believe my multiple dishes are entirely legal.

I want to point out that "no matter what my apartment says" might be a little strong. Go read the sections on what types of restrictions are considered reasonable. Something in there might apply, as an example, they mention restrictions are valid at places of historic interest.

Sounds good my friend! Too bad you don't live closer. I would buy you a beer for your help! Thanks :)

Be sure that you only install the dish in area that is for your personal use - no putting it in the shared yard, roof, etc. And make sure that you don't violate any other rules (like destroying their property with holes, screws, etc). Also, I don't think you'd be covered to install your own dish if they already have one shared dish on the roof for the satellite you're intending to reach, and provide a drop to your apartment.

yes you can put up multiple dishes and they can be for different providers

I have dishes set up for 3 providers (Dish...which I dont sub to anymore but the dish is still up), Starchoice and FTA. HOA didnt mind because they were on my exclusive area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)