having dish network in condo

harveystern

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
miami fl
Hi need advice might be moving to condo ,is it feasible to have out side dish more than the 8 floor ? Would there be more rainfade and wind probelms? I live in miami fl with a lot of rain in the summer.Also when they run the wires from the dish can they do it without going under the terrace sliding glass door,Thanks Harv

The satellites are 22,300 miles from the equator times 5,280 feet means 8 stories means nothing except that would be one heck of a ladder. What restrictions does the Condo Association have on satellite dish installation, in general they own the outside of the building and you can only mount on your privately controlled areas(patios/balconies).

Many installers won't use a balcony for a mount. Maybe a non penetrating type could work.

The DISH 1000 is usually OK for a railing mount if there is a suitable railing.

It will come down to what the Condo allows and only they can tell you that.

Thanks for the info I'm really torn over been with dish since 96

Here's what you do. Pick a condo on a side of the building that has line of sight towards the satellites. Make sure you have an patio/balcony that is your exclusive use (in other wards, not shared).

Find out from your condo what is allowed. Penetrations, modifications. in-house dish guys have access to railing mounts that do not require the mount to penetrate the structure but rather "clamp on" to the railing, causing no damage outside of maybe marring of the paint on the rail. Really no worse than say a planter box being hung from your rail.

Paint the reflector to look like a large flower. Tell your management it is a exotic species of flower from the Congo. :p

The cabling has to go from the fish to the reciever, as I am sure you already know. Just realize there either has to be a penetration made or flat cable used in your door/window to accomadate that cable.

As long as you have line of site and are flexible with cable runs you can still keep your dish.

Are these new condos? If not, take a look around the complex and see if there any dishes already existing on other units. Then, see if you can see how the penetration happened. If you can't see it, maybe knock on a door and ask how it was done. Checking with the Association is important as well.

The other requirement may be that you carry liability insurance to protect the Condo from Ice falling off the dish onto a pedestrian 8 floors below. Insurance need is real ice falling is tongue in cheek for FL.

Ice in Miami? That's almost crazy.

The whole satellite dish dilemma and apartments and condos is why I would never live in one of those places. I like my own property so I can do what I want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)