Having hard time setting up Hispasat 30W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

w0lf

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
USA
Hello,

I am trying to setup Hispasat 30W mainly for Cubavision channels on a Viewsat Ultra 2000. It is a 30' dish with an X2 Ku band 0.1 db lnbf. I have tried everything but I cannot get any Q, Signal is always at about 76%.
On the VS settings are:
Standard
Lnb freq : 10750
TP freq: 18991 (I have tried multiples freq and nothing).

I have also tried different skew on the lnb but nothing. All the help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
?
image_3.jpegphoto.JPGimage_2.jpegimage_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Mi location is Miami, FL. I've tried from 25 to 32 and nothing. I am not sure about AZ.

is my skew correct? I am not sure about it. My lnb has 0 in the middle and 30 on left and 30 on right.

Elevation: 27.5°
Azimuth (true): 109.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 116.0°
LNB Skew [?]: -57.8°

This is what dishpointer says. Is this close to what you are trying for?

Looked up the LNBF and it is a Universal type with LO 9750/10600, not a standard LO of 10750 as you have it currently set. This would prevent the satellite signal from being received.

The skew also look to be incorrectly set. When the LNB is in the "0" position shouldn't the coax cable be straight down? If you are adjusting for 30w the skew rotation will be -57.9 degrees clockwise when standing in front of the dish looking into the reflector and the back of the LNBF.

http://geosatfinder.com/Reports/SatAim.aspx?Longitude=-80.27148&Latitude=25.75213&SatIds=219

18991 is not a valid Ku-band frequency. You may want to double check for the correct frequency if that is for a channel that you want to receive. Wide KU band frequencies range fbetween approximately 10700 - 12750MHz (10.7 - 12.75GHz).

I know my el is close, I am not sure about AZ because if you look at the pictures, I cannot really tell. How can I know if the skew is -58 by looking at the lnb? Should I put the 0 in the middle?

0 straight up is zero degrees. You need to rotate the top of the lnb to the north to set the skew.

This are the lnb specs: universal ku band twin lnb -Low Noise Figure 0.1dB -HDTV digital ready -Easy installation -Waterproof slide-down -Temp. -30 °C to +70 °C. -Humidity 0%~95% KU BAND LNB. LOW Band:10.7~11.7GHz. High Band:11.7~12.75GHz. ?

the lnb has this numbers on it.

30 | | | | | | | | | | 0 | | | | | | | | | | | 30

If i put the 0 in in the middle, the coax faces up. So from my 0 position i need to rotate it clockwise, how do i know I have reached -57.9. I apologize but this is very confusing. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    693.4 KB · Views: 1,301
Imagine the face of the clock, with your 0 being at the 12 o'clock is 0 degrees. Rotate the zero towards the north until the 0 is now at the 9 or 10 minute mark.

Also, from your last pic, it seems your LNB is rotated +, not -. Roll the top of the LNB to the north.

If the 0 is placed at 12 O'clock, skew is "0" Each hour is 30° (3 o'clock = 90°)
So for 58 You'd place the "0" mark at about the 2 o'clock position.
Set the LNBF type to STANDARD
Set the L.O. to 10600
Set 22Khz to ON
Enter transponder freq : 12052 Vertical polarity, SR = 27500
Get a reference 'line' from www.dishpointer.com
Pan dish E - W of the 'line' in small, stepped, increments and wait** a while for the receiver to "lock on"(Quality) to the signal. ** 10 seconds is not unreasonable to lock on and display Quality..
If panning both sides of the dishpointer 'line' results in no Quality reading, adjust the dish up or down no more than 1° and repeat. Once you have 'lock' and a Quality reading. Fine tune the dish UP/DN, L/R for maximum Quality. Try improve signal with skew adjustment and LNBF fore/aft adjustment.
Blind scan in the rest of the transponders/channels.

If the 0 is placed at 12 O'clock, skew is "0" Each hour is 30° (3 o'clock = 90°)
So for 58 You'd place the "0" mark at about the 2 o'clock position.
Set the LNBF type to STANDARD
Set the L.O. to 10600
Set 22Khz to ON
Enter transponder freq : 12052 Vertical polarity, SR = 27500
Get a reference 'line' from www.dishpointer.com
Pan dish E - W of the 'line' in small, stepped, increments and wait** a while for the receiver to "lock on"(Quality) to the signal. ** 10 seconds is not unreasonable to lock on and display Quality..
If panning both sides of the dishpointer 'line' results in no Quality reading, adjust the dish up or down no more than 1° and repeat. Once you have 'lock' and a Quality reading. Fine tune the dish UP/DN, L/R for maximum Quality. Try improve signal with skew adjustment and LNBF fore/aft adjustment.
Blind scan in the rest of the transponders/channels.

Thank you so much guys. Excellent explanation from both of you!!

Fat Air: I will give this a try tomorrow since it is already dark outside and weather is bad.

Not to distract from the excellent advice above, but...
That upper part of your pole...beyond the bend,
is it plumb? Vertical?
If not, you'll have a hell of a time finding the satellite.

I may have read the picture wrong. :)
All the advice given in previous posts needs to be followed.
It's all necessary.

Wolf look up transponder number 11884 V that is the strongest transponder on those satellites. Channel is called cubavision.

Dan Rose

Here's a couple of diagrams for LNB skew adjustments.

Attachments

• lnb skew.jpg
    lnb skew.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 7,525
  • fta_skew.gif
    fta_skew.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 8,028
Hello guys, I have not been able to setup the antenna due to work, I will give it a try now, Will let you guys know.

Not to distract from the excellent advice above, but...
That upper part of your pole...beyond the bend,
is it plumb? Vertical?
If not, you'll have a hell of a time finding the satellite.

I may have read the picture wrong. :)
All the advice given in previous posts needs to be followed.
It's all necessary.

Im not really understanding your question.

The very top part of the pole (where the dish-mount is bolted to the pole), does not appear to be vertical.
That is how it looks in two of your pictures.

Is the top of the pole (mast) leaning forward/backward/left/right? The photos look like the mast is not vertical, but leaning.

If the top of the mast is not straight, the dish will be very hard to aim and the elevation scale will not be accurate.

The very top part of the pole (where the dish-mount is bolted to the pole), does not appear to be vertical.
That is how it looks in two of your pictures.

yes it is at exactly 90 degrees. But I still cannot get the Quality to go up. I've downloaded an satellite finder app from the Apple store which is pretty good and I am pretty sure I am aiming at the exact location and my lnb is positioned at about 2 o'clock. I believe my problem is either the elevation or my lnb is not compatible. I was reading online that the lnb should be 0.4db and mines is 0.1db. Could this be the issue? Also the pole where the dish mounts is not the original one that came with the dish. I had to use a shorter one because the other was damaged. Can this offset my elevation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts