Hawaii HD----HELP!!!

konakid

Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
In San Diego I hooked up my TV to Cox's HD service and I got all the stations I expected. Call me naive, but I thought this was normal. Now I'm in a "semi-remote" location in Hawaii (Kona) and hooked up to Time Warner's cable HD service and I only get ABC in HD. After 8 month's of "we're negotiating" I still have only ABC.
So, I bought a Dish "subscription" at Costco today. After doing some research I'm so confused. Apparently they only offer CBS in HD, but say the others are coming soon (they're negotiating too).
I am asking for any advice. I don't care about cost, I just want my HD TV. I would like all 4 major networks. Is this too much to ask? However, I may have to cut down some 100 year old trees ($2500) to get line of sight if I use a satellite (2 satellites ???? $5000). And clouds may be an issue here. Oh, and there may be a volcano in the way. I can't get any straight answers from any CSRs. And the only installer here has yet to call me back. I would like to know what I'm talking about when/if he does. Should I try Direct TV? I would be willing to spend big bucks if I would get a system that works. However, if it doesn't, the money and trees would be gone for naught. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Star Choice Essentials subscription with DSR 505 receiver, This will get you 4 Nets + PBS HD from Detroit, NBC/CBS/FOX from Seattle + CBC/CTV and TSN (The Sports Network) all in HD

You will need minimum 1.0 m Ku band dish for Anik F2 (where the HD is). If you want the SD channels that come with subscription, aim a minimum 1.2 m dish at Anik F1R. Tie the 2 dishes together with a 22 khz multiswitch

Link showing Ku band footprints of Anik F2 and F1R
http://www.telesat.ca/satellites/footprints/index.htm

Last edited:
I know the big Island pretty well - and I would think that you might have some issues on the Kona side - but it depends exactly where you are.

Someone from Hilo posted they were receiving 110 and 119 but using dishes 1m or above which not something Costco is going to be selling - and that will not get you 129 - which will probably need another dish.

Right now, it is expected the DNS will go on 129 - CBS out of LA is on 148 (another one) - and then you will probably need waivers as well - so SC might be the better choice.

From your description of the trees, I assume you must be higher up and not down at sea level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts