HAYWIRED! What do I have and what do i I need to add 5th. TV.

UNSAVVY

Original poster
Hello! First please excuse to long post as I do not want anything lost in the translation. I have a new 2 year old home wired for cable in 5 rooms with RG6 cable. I have DPP 500 equipment. My system consists of the following: 1- 625 dual tuner paired with a DVD and is plugged into a dbl. wall jack with a phone line, 1 unused coax. Remote TV1. Opposite this in a shared wall bedroom is a 322 dual tuner and DVR connected by a DP-D2 diplexer and a seperator. Remote TV2. Upstairs are two TVS connected directly to single wall jacks. Remote TV2. All units can watch seperate channels. Coming into the house are 9 lines, 6 of which are combined by 2 DP-D2'S with 3 lines unused, they are marked LINE, Bedroom 3, and unmarked as the tag is missing. Anyway, Bedroom 3 downstairs is where I intend to add a 5th TV to my sons' room. I will be matching it with a Vizio big screen and a DVD. The room has a single wall jack with a telephone line. I am contemplating purchasing a used clear and owned PVR 508 or a DP301. What EXACTLY do i need to do to safely and properly and of course legally make this feasible with what I've described? Would the interactive programming or tv guide menu work if done correctly. Would I have to plug in the phone line to either unit as he isn't interested in PPV or is it already functional if the 625 is already plugged in to land line? I understand the 508 is free of user fees but would probably have to be reactivated by DISH due to inactivity. If this was cable I wouldn't be so paranoid. Thanks for your patience and help.

Glad to answer this for you! I want to note a couple of things here as well. First off, you mentioned a Vizio big screen TV going into the room where you want the DISH receiver. I wanted to mention that the picture may not look the greatest using a PVR508 receiver and recording time is limited. That is simple preference though, so if you want to go that route, by all means have at it.

You mentioned having a DPP-500 dish. I would assume its a DPP-Twin LNBF. If you do not already have a switch installed (DPP), you will need a minimum of a DPP33 switch. To install, you would run the two leads currently coming from the dish into the DPP33 switch, then run single cables from the switch to each room that contains a receiver. That gets the signal where it needs to be. BTW, the additional receiver will cost $7 a month to activate and so your bill will change monthly. Another option is to check and see upgrade availability. You can get a VIP211 and change it to a DVR. Still would cost the $7 a month, but its HD capable and you can get a hard drive that increases the available recording time (up to 1TB is supported).

The last option actually may be the cheapest way to go depending on upgrade eligibility and if you would like, I can personally take a look into all the options you have if you PM me a phone number.

Still unsure!

Hello Anthony! Thanks for the response. As far as the LNBF goes I believe it is a DPP-QUAD. If that is the case doesn't that unit already have switches in it? I don't see where the central unit is and what if any other switches are used in conjunction other than what I described. How can I tell which one I have other than to visually inspect it? As of the moment I would have to tunnel my way to the side of my house to get a look as the snow is quite deep and I'm coming off of foot surgery. Dang Minnesota winter! I'm assuming that there is already a single line run to the room in question as the house was prewired and a jack and phone line are begging to be used. He is not too concerned about the recording capabilities actually of the 508. He just wants to watch TV and have some privacy. Recent poor graduate. Wouldn't the picture quality be relatively decent if HDMI cables were used or the S cable thingy? We're kind of trying to get by on the cheap if possible. I'm still a little shaky as to what I actually will need to get up and running without having a tech come out. I mistakenly thought this was going to be a simple solution. I still have that CABLE mentality where you just plug and play and I don't have to worry about frying anything. Colorado huh! I love it there. Went to Arapahoe H.S. a loooooooooong time ago.

If you have the quad then there is not a need for an additional switch. You can actually get a 512 on a Lease upgrade, get dual-recording capability and the charge would be $10 instead of $7. The wire from one of the "taps" on the dish would run through a ground block and then straight to the room where the receiver was located. You could also purchase a lesser receiver like a 508 (with single recording capabilities and less available time to record) and it would only be a $7 a month increase (plus the initial cost of the box). A quad will run four receivers though, so you don't need an "upgrade" to install it. Also, the need to purchase a switch is nil. Make sense?

BTW, easiest way to tell what type of LNBF you have, without inspecting it visually (and digging through snow), is to let the receiver tell you. Menu-6-1-3 should get you to the system information "grid" and in box G there will be a device listed (It will say something like DPP-Twin, Twin (1) ... or DP-Quad or whatever LNBF is present, including switches). The other way to tell is to Menu-6-1-1, then Check Switch and that grid will list individual satellites and what "device" that orbital signal comes from. No digging through the snow! HAHAHA.

Good luck finding a 508. Since the OP is already paying the DVR fee for the 625, the 512 would arguably be the SD DVR of choice. Any of the ViP series are going to demand HD programming and a new dish which may or may not be free.

Last edited:
As far as the LNBF goes I believe it is a DPP-QUAD.
There's no such beastie as a DPP Quad. It is likely that you have a DP Quad in which case, you need more switchgear as you're currently using all four outputs to support the 625 and the 322. I would suggest a DPP33.

Personally, if it were me, I would take the upgrade to HD equipment (and HD programming is not required). I can take a look into the upgrade option for you UNSAVVY and give you all the information from the DISH Network side. Its up to you how you want to proceed but I want to make sure you know I can help you out.

Personally, if it were me, I would take the upgrade to HD equipment (and HD programming is not required). I can take a look into the upgrade option for you UNSAVVY and give you all the information from the DISH Network side. Its up to you how you want to proceed but I want to make sure you know I can help you out.

There's no such beastie as a DPP Quad. It is likely that you have a DP Quad in which case, you need more switchgear as you're currently using all four outputs to support the 625 and the 322. I would suggest a DPP33.

And yes, with the gear you have I would be curious myself as to what kind of LNBF you have. I have to say it is more likely you have a DPP-Twin or a DP-Quad with a switch already installed. I mentioned the DPP33 in the original post here as well. If there is a doubt as to the "how" or "what's needed", you might want to let me take a look at your account (PM me a phone number) and I can see if I see what equipment you have. This particular type of upgrade is honestly better left to the tech that shows up, because of all the equipment you would purchase to do it yourself. It would be cheaper IMO. Like I said, just PM if you want me to look into it and I will see what magic I can work for you.

Hello again all! I'm going to try to see what we are working with LNBF and switch wise from the receiver tonight from your suggestions. Also whomever said good luck getting a 508, I am able to get the dish pvr for $30.00 bucks locally on Craigslist if I don't drag my feet too long. Talk to you guys tomorrow. You have been great! Thanks again.

Hello again all! I'm going to try to see what we are working with LNBF and switch wise from the receiver tonight from your suggestions. Also whomever said good luck getting a 508, I am able to get the dish pvr for $30.00 bucks locally on Craigslist if I don't drag my feet too long.
Make sure you check with the seller regarding the color of the smart card. You may end up spending more on bringing the 508 up-to-date than you paid for the DVR in the first place. You should also check the status of the DVR with DISH. In not-so-rare cases, the equipment is leased and isn't theirs to sell.

Thanks! I sent the seller of the PVR508 a message requesting the card color and the #S00 and the #R00 numbers as well. I checked to verify what I had LNBF wise via the menu 6-1-3 last night and it said in the "G" grid DPP TWIN, DP1, DP2. I saw nothing regarding switches though in that section. Maybe this will help me get closer to a resolution.

You will need a switch on this one. Your current LNBF only supports two receivers. The switch will allow additional. With the cost of the box and the switch (for the do it yourself-er) I would probably look into the lease option. Cost is $3 more a month for leased 512 DVR versus the 508, but you get a much better device with more recording time and the capability to record two items at once while watching a previously recorded. Honestly with all the costs to run this together by yourself, the price is cheaper over the course of the two year commitment required for the upgrade. Just a thought. Again, I can give you exact details if I see the account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts