HBO/Cinemax Takedown

I cancelled my subscription to HBO long ago due to that idiot Bill Maher. I didn't want one penny of my money going to him.

Ironic as he is one of the reasons, along with John Oliver, why I keep my HBO subscription year round. I like that they lampoon everyone, Maher especially. I can understand if a lot of people find him un-amusing or offensive though. I do at times, but I am ok with being offended now and again.

Of course, if Dish offered a channel package that was entirely absent of cable news, I would sign up in a heartbeat. As it is, I am on the Flex plan, which only has CNN. I'd be happy to do away with them too.

HBO is doomed Netflix and Amazon will smash there spending on new content.

I think over time we will see many channels go away and end up with just live News and sports on the current linear platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: bobvick and satjay
HBO is doomed Netflix and Amazon will smash there spending on new content.

I think over time we will see many channels go away and end up with just live News and sports on the current linear platforms.

We can hope a lot of current linear channels go away. How is there so much crap still on TV in the "new golden age of TV"?

We can hope a lot of current linear channels go away. How is there so much crap still on TV in the "new golden age of TV"?

I have no clue I stopped watching tv and started audio books and YouTube. I do like to watch “gold rush” and some docs on Netflix. It’s crazy the amount of people that just watch TV on there free time. Nothing wrong with that just seems like it would get pretty darn boring watching the same stuff over and over and over and over learning nothing not improving your knowledge one bit.

I could be wrong, but the whole drop your current provider and jump to Provider A because we are no longer available now gets real old. Tv viewing is a different animal then it was five or ten years ago. I think in today’s entertainment/viewing climate this makes HBO look bad

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but the whole drop you current provider and jump to Provider A because we are no longer available now gets real old. Tv viewing is a different animal then it was five or ten years ago. I think in today’s entertainment/viewing climate this makes HBO look bad
It’s almost as if HBO/ATT is asking for torrents. Keep pushing too hard, and you’re going to end up being the most pirated network, rather than the most pirated show.

If DISH had HBO in 1996/1997 or so that is how long I have had it. It isn't a big deal they are not on DISH because of the many ways to get it. But they may have succeeded in my just not subscribing anymore and not because of being mad or even caring all that much they are not on DISH.

Dropping Boxing is a reason I could live without HBO their coverage and bouts were among the best. Their frequent discounts on DISH being gone another reason, I was willing to pay the normal price from time to time getting the discounts for chunks of time. Seeing my bill now without HBO could make it a little harder for me to subscribe again if they come back, or to subscribe to HBO online. Perhaps I will subscribe for the few weeks some of the original shows I like are on only. I had to have been considered among their best subscribers - literally subscribing for years and years was this worth it to lose some of those subscribers? Maybe for their plans it was.

HBO’s last boxing event is on November 24, after that, there is no reason for a live channel anymore. Bill Maher is suffering from old man, get off my lawn, I liked things better back when... syndrome. John Oliver brings up an interesting topic once in a blue moon. The two year gap between new seasons of their original series, sort of kills the mood, especially if the 8 to ten episode season ends up less than great. About all they really have right now is Warner brothers, universal, and fox’s first run rights, and once those expire, it is just another shovel ware producing Netflix, like Hulu and amazon.

That could very well be an issue. So that's an issue to take to ATT; they're trying to force bogus terms on DISH. It sucks for you, I get it.

Apparently AT&T doesn't care about rural folks. They've already cancelled all orders for new DirecTV satellites that weren't already built and have publicly said that they plan to eventually do away with satellite service altogether in favor of 5G, which is another technology that rural folks will probably never see.

No other option here except DirecTV. The DSL is too slow and the satellite internet is very limited so for us and millions of other customers it's DISH or DirecTV, period.
This is my problem too. Accordingly, i'm going to look into the possibility of subscribing to HBO NOW and recording the streaming content for later viewing on my TV. I think there are a few products that will accommodate that. Hopefully I can record something overnight when my DSL is more responsive and watch it the next night.

Reactions: JSheridan
This is my problem too. Accordingly, i'm going to look into the possibility of subscribing to HBO NOW and recording the streaming content for later viewing on my TV. I think there are a few products that will accommodate that. Hopefully I can record something overnight when my DSL is more responsive and watch it the next night.

That's a good idea but too much of a PITA for me. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Apparently AT&T doesn't care about rural folks. They've already cancelled all orders for new DirecTV satellites that weren't already built and have publicly said that they plan to eventually do away with satellite service altogether in favor of 5G, which is another technology that rural folks will probably never see.

This is where Dish still has a nice niche, IMO

I think the lower TV markets have such a minuscule # of viewers compared to the bigger markets they may not see any incentive to overserve these markets. So like some have said - they need satellite to get HBO, and they can do that with Directv, since Directv owns the channel (or will own the channel), so this all may be a backdoor way to get more subscribers to Directv in rural areas.

Populated areas can get HBO via streaming options. So that covers it. Rural has to do Directv it seems.

All of this is because HBO is mandating a minimum number of subscribers for DISH, and DISH clearly feels that they can't do that and still make money.

Reactions: JSheridan
All of this is because HBO is mandating a minimum number of subscribers for DISH, and DISH clearly feels that they can't do that and still make money.
Perhaps AT&T/HBO is doing this intentionally knowing that Dish (and eventually, other providers) simply cannot accommodate their demands.
Perhaps they envision a future where they'd provide HBO directly to the consumer via 5g and eliminate these provider middle men so they could keep all the money.

Perhaps AT&T/HBO is doing this intentionally knowing that Dish (and eventually, other providers) simply cannot accommodate their demands.
Perhaps they envision a future where they'd provide HBO directly to the consumer via 5g and eliminate these provider middle men so they could keep all the money.

I don't think there's any "perhaps" about it... that is exactly what they are doing!

I guess the question now is whether that is legal or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts