HBO & CINEMAX....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Barney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Kyle in Republic of Texas
I cancelled my HBO & CINEMAX sub ($23 @ month). Thats alot of bucks...might consider a DVD service now....anyone else thinking the same thing? Its not HD.......

Barney

not worth money

cinemax is just not worth 12 bucks a month for basically 2 channels. HBO and Starz the best packs that DTV has.

I started out using Netflix and liked it, but they sent them out from Chicago and took 2-3 days to get to me and to get sent back. I switched to Walmart's dvd service, only because they have a distribution center in Indianapolis and I get the movies in 1 day and they get them back in 1 day.

Thats strange. HBO and Cinemax have a commercial out touting 95% true HD during primetime hours. Sopranos and Deadwood are HD I know.

IndyMichael said:
I started out using Netflix and liked it, but they sent them out from Chicago and took 2-3 days to get to me and to get sent back. I switched to Walmart's dvd service, only because they have a distribution center in Indianapolis and I get the movies in 1 day and they get them back in 1 day.

I didn't know Wal-Mart had the service, that's great. I quit NetFlix for the same reason and I'm just outside of Chicago. My discs came from San Jose and went back to Lansing Michigan I think. I did Blockbuster this winter for a few months but same issue with them. Mainly on sending back. I got them pretty quickly but sometimes a week for them to list them as received. They were going back to Minneapolis.

I love the DVD services but watch most of them on the weekends. I need to be able to mail them out on Monday and have the replacements by Friday to make it worth my time and cost. I might try the Wal-Mart service or NetFlix again next winter.

I've been using the Hollywood MVP plan for the past 6 months and I love it. I hate looking for movies online and am the type of person that would rather just look in the store and pick what I want. Also the MVP stands for Movie Value Pass.

The only downside to this service is that new releases aren't available in the plan at first but take anywhere between one and four weeks until they are part of the MVP plan but that doesn't bother me so much because I always have plenty to watch. I can say that I've never seen a movie take more than 2 weeks until it hit the MVP. For example Harry Potter 3 took just one week after its release until it hit the MVP.

This plan is unlimited renting with three out at a time but they still require them to be returned within their 5 day rental period or you will pay their late charges.

I also buy their three month MVP pass which costs 30 bucks and doesn't autorenew so when your three months is up you have to pay again. I like this because I don't like systems that auto-charge everymonth because I've noticed that getting them cancelled isn't always easy and is more trouble than its worth. At least with this system the next time I check out movies if my pass is expired I'll know and just give them another 30 bucks in cash.

I like this system quite a bit for my needs while for others who don't have a close local store like this they now have Netflix and such but I will say this much that this is turning out great for all consumers and it was all started by Netflix and sadly to say I think what made Netflix great will be their downfall. That is because its very hard to compete with Walmart, Amazon and Blockbuster all at the sametime.

i recently dropped the HBO/Cmax pack and went with netflix. their distribution is out of louisville and thus is only about 45 mins away so i usuallyget my movies the next day... though i sent some back monday and havent received the usual email. anyway... blockbuster also has an in store plan and a new online plan... check them out as well... if wasnt cost effective for me with blockbuster 15 miles away.

I've keep my HBO subscription going simply because my wife likes Carnivale and I like the Sopranos / Deadwood. I have Showtime free for 5 months but probably will drop it when the 5 months is up.

As far as HD, HBO HD has a lot more HD content than Showtime HD. I wish D* would add Starz HD. The Cinemax package is kinda lame.

I also subscribe to Netflix for 1 1/2 years now, but I'm in the sticks and the movies take 2-3 days to and from. A buddy tried Blockbuster Online and they were worse. I might check into the Wal-Mart rental service.

HBO is indeed HD. They have HBO EAST HD and HBO WEST HD. Cinemax has Cinemax East HD and Cinemax West HD; also Starz has Starz East HD and Starz West HD. Then the Movie Channel has The Movie Channel HD. That's 9 HD movie channels available. As far as I know DirecTV only carries HBO East HD and Showtime East HD. If they wanted they could provide the other 8 channels. It would sure make evening movie viewing a little more interesting. These channesl along with HDNET Movies would give us 9 channels of HD movies. Nice.

Many cable companies carry these other HD channels and of course VOOM carried them all. But that ends on 4/30 . So unless something happens it's back to HBO HD,Showtime HD & HDNET Movies HD only 3 HD movies on DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)