HBO GO - I didn't know!

I think there was an article on this (and maybe a thread on it). I think the article said that Directv and Comcast didn't want to support the Roku app because they considered Roku as a competitior. I agree that Dish made the better choice by supporting it.

Dish might have realized they have to embrace on-line distribution or maybe lose customers all together. An over the air antenna with digital TV and a Roku is starting to make a lot of sense compared to $100/month+ cable/satellite bill where people are forced to buy a lot of channels (and sports tax) they never watch. Dish has Blockbuster now but does not have a box beyond its own receivers so possibly they are looking to make distribution available via Roku.

Responses are correct, everything is on the Roku (or computer) much more limited OD. I noted Deadwood in my post, the entire series (thankfully!!) has been on the Roku right along.

Dish might have realized they have to embrace on-line distribution or maybe lose customers all together. An over the air antenna with digital TV and a Roku is starting to make a lot of sense compared to $100/month+ cable/satellite bill where people are forced to buy a lot of channels (and sports tax) they never watch. Dish has Blockbuster now but does not have a box beyond its own receivers so possibly they are looking to make distribution available via Roku.

Someone spending $100 (and I do) to get all their channels most likely would not be happy with a Roku/Hulu alone. You're comparing two very different levels of entertainment. No doubt someone who does not want to spend the amount has choices, but will get less. Also they don't have to spend $100 with Dish, in fact dish has I believe two or so of the lowest packages available, with a couple of very reasaonably priced add on packages.
It really depends on what you are willing to spend and how much you want to be able to watch your shows.
A Roku and Hulu with OTA very well may be enough for some people, there's alot of entertainment there no question, but remember without a provider you lose things like HBO GO so that has to be kept in mind. If I couldn't afford to keep my package with Dish and felt even the receiver fees were to much, at least there are alternatives like Roku, but to be fair you just can't compare that with the higher packages from the providers if you want that programming.
I find the Roku great as an add on, especially for so many News channels around the world, and HBO GO of course. One thing that just happend last night, while we were watching American Idol our internet went down, still is at home. While not daily by any means, it does happen, I rarely lose the Satellite signal in all the years I've had it other than very briefly when the head of a heavy rain storm passes. Just something else to consider, along with increasing fees for internet or slowing the speed when you go over the limit.

Last edited:
The carrier's logic, such as DirecTV's, is that if you were able to watch unlimited HBO programming on your TV without a DirecTV receiver, you just might choose not to have a DirecTV receiver in that room, depriving them of an extra receiver fee. It really seems like something Dish would do, not DirecTV.
"logic" would dictate that if they really wanted to prevent that situation, they would offer HBO GO access directly thru their receivers instead of just HBO OD. But then again, we're dealing with "carrier logic."

"logic" would dictate that if they really wanted to prevent that situation, they would offer HBO GO access directly thru their receivers instead of just HBO OD. But then again, we're dealing with "carrier logic."
Yes it would. Perhaps, Dish will add an HBO GO app to the HJ system. It certainly seems doable. Of course, they can't seem to get their On Demand UI to be usable. So, who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts