HBO or ShowTime???

moonbaseone

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
I currently get basic cable with the DISH and I am getting laittle bored with it, so I am trying to decide which one of these services to add.

I donot want both. And, I wont the one that has better original TV shows, more than I am interested in the movies. Unless we are talking about MA movies. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But, my main concern is which one has better TV shows, and is better overall

What do you think???

Why don't you try out the free preview this weekend and see which package you like better?

BFG said:
Why don't you try out the free preview this weekend and see which package you like better?
Won't be able too. Will be away all weekend. I am off work ttomorrow and Friday, so I figured I would get one now. I have basic 180 and it is starting get old.

dfergie said:
HBO would be my pick for the latest and best HD movies although SHO has a few...HBO usually has the Marquee Boxing matches but SHO has more HD Boxing...

Ohh, ok. Thanks.

Well, I'm not really that big on sports so that won't help me decide. But, I do have HD and as you know, we don't have enough HD channels as it is. So, that may sway my decision too.

moonbaseone said:
I have basic 180 and it is starting get old.
:eek: Thats a good package if you can aford it, still I recommend show time or starz, you dont get all the repeats that you would with hbo and max, you get more channels for your dollar to. However if you like the MA stuff then hbo and max are the way to go, hbo has the real sex and taxi cab convessions, cinemax is nick named skinamax for obvious reasons come the weekend.

Im just going to trough this out there. Americas Everything Pack. u get all the movies and all the channels you get now. (unless u are using hd thats again another pack). but the $82 price is hard to swallow.

Showtime has occasional good series, L word, Weeds, used to have a couple of good sci-fi series but not recently, but HBO has more different programs, Sopranos, Rome, Extra's, Deadwood, etc and also has some original films. Starz seems to have best film variety but has no HD on dish right now. My 0.2c go for HBO for TV.

Without a doubt in my mind HBO is the way to go. Though all the regular series are going into Hiatus right now, Rome, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm as well as great boxing, Inside the NFL and other special make HBO the premier premium channel. And the movies are generally top notch to Showtimes generally lame offering.

See ya
Tony

I'll speak up fior Showtime here....... The L Word, Huff, and Weeds are great original shows. Dead like Me was also good but just got cancelled. It may sound like sacrilege but HBO's original series have been losing their must see status for me. They still have The Sopranos but Sex and the City and Six Feet Under are gone now. Rome didn't do it for me and Deadwood didn't either (I was never a big Western guy). The Wire may or may not be cancelled. HBO does have better movies.

That being said, I also bite the bullet and get the AEP. The fact that I own 4 PVRs pretty much makes it a no brainer as $20 in PVR fees goes away with the AEP.

I have never had Showtime, but as far as HBO goes, the have the hit mob show Sapranos which has won multiple awards. Curb your Enthusiasm, which is a show that stars one of the creators and writers of Sienfeld has been described as "Sienfeld with the occaisonal swearing", has also won multiple awards. They have Deadwood which is a western that has won multiple awards, and Rome which is a show about the ancient roman times, has been predicted to compete in some award categories this year. I don't get into either of these two shows, but as you can see they have a variety, so you should find some original programming you would like. They also have great comedy, George Carlin, Robert Klien and Chris Rock usually have something new every two years or so, along with a lot of other comedians.

And I think they still do the "A new Movie Every Saturday Night" deal. So 8:00pm on saturday nights is a showing of a movie that they have not had in their rotation.

Once you get hooked on "The Wire" (season four starts next year) and "Deadwood" (next season coming soon), you will never want to be without HBO. Plus, they have excellent movies they produce, like "Sometime in April," and "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers," both of which received major awards. but, just MHO.

Ever since Showtime dropped "Dead Like Me," I have bad feelings toward them. They were also the first to air "Star Gate: SG-1" then Sci Fi picked it up, thankfully, or it might also been one of those "whatever happened to...?"

I would grab HBO over Shotime, if you guys had Starz HD then HBO or Starz is a hard one.

This year I may get HBO, Starz and maybe even Showtime just for HD because I love it :)

At the moment I have Starz but I love boxing and Straz has no boxing :(

HBO. Its original programming are way ahead of anybody else's including Showtime.
Rome was REALLY beautiful in HD, Sopranos and Sex and The City was far better than any other similar-type series. I think Six Feet Under, Carnivores, Deadwood or Entourage were totally crap but others seemed to like these too, so don't take my words only. :D For example I think Curb Your Enthusiasm is definitely a piece of sh*t but that doesn't mean you won't like it moreover doesn't mean it isn't better than Weed or anything similar Showtime can offer.
Critical comedy shows and series are also much better on HBO: show me anything on Showtime which at least comes close to Real Time with Bill Maher or Da Ali G Show! Leguizamo's, Chris Rock's, Whoopi Goldberg's or Carlin's stand ups are also the quintessences of HBO's comedy lineup. Of course, there are horrible piece of crap shows like P. Diddy Presents The Bad Boys of Comedy but fortunately only a few makes it to the screen.
HBO's thought-provoking minis are also exceptional: remember Angels in America?
Or other controversial matters: their docus like Born Into Brothels or And Along Came A Spider or Balseros or Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary - heck, AFAIK HBO was the only channel to air the shocking Chernobyl Heart...

HBO. Hands down.
I hate HBO for its really retarded Hollywood-based movie lineup - most of the movies are pathetically sh!tty - but its own programming saves the entire channel in my eyes. Shortly: nothing comes close as of today.

Lets see... Original shows on Showtime that kept me subscribing to them (because the movies in general suck in comparison to Starz and HBO)

Outer Limits (canceled)
Stargate SG1 (Canceled - revived by Sci-fi in ithe 6th season)
Dead Like Me (canceled) - "Rube" is now the head honcho on "Criminal Minds"
Queer as Folk (Canceled)
Soul Food (Canceled)
Family Business (Canceled)
Free For All - Animated series (Canceled)
The Hunger (Canceled)
Resurrection Blvd (Canceled)

However I do breathlessly await the return of "Penn & Teller's Bullsh¡t!"

The boxing is good, but between HBO and Showtime boxing, I gotta go with HBO.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts