HBO price increase > $14.99 /mo Feb 1st

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It really depends on what kind of cable systen you have and when it was rebuilt. I looks like you have a low frequency system with a high node to home ratio.

Where do you live? Is it in the boonies or a place that with low CPI?

rtt2 said:
It really depends on what kind of cable systen you have and when it was rebuilt. I looks like you have a low frequency system with a high node to home ratio.

Where do you live? Is it in the boonies or a place that with low CPI?

Kalamazoo, MI not a small city, but not a metropolitan area, about 300,000 in the county I estimate

Charter system has been upgraded extensively (old cablevision system) have 3-5 meg HSI (my speeds are consistantly 2900 and I pay for 3meg) but there are still channels 2-99 in analog. They are constantly upgrading still and offering new stuff, but the prices right now for what you get are not worth it

Comcast inherited the old Adelphia system in the area. Not sure on the rebuild status but I do know that HSI is exceeding 8meg in speed unofficially and the over all channel lineup is larger last I knew, but since it is not available to me, I don't follow it as much.

The speed of the the internet is not a metric of the plant. In fact HSI only take up 1% of the total bandwidth.
What you need to know is how much the amp and taps are rated. For example CV is has a 870 MHz system using 1gh taps.
If you are referring to a an old Adelphia system then that is one that was neglected and has very large nodes. In fact I would not be surprised to see maybe 1500 homes on just one.
It really depends on what the plant and system is and how it is configured.
But the moral is that eventually it will be upgraded to provide new capacity through more node splitting amp upgrades etc and you will get the missing channels and services like digital voice, HDTV and IPTV.
Dish network cannot provide less than the full suite of premium packages because eventually churn will become so great they will have a problem. Sports and movie packages are the killer apps for programmers and constant improvement has to always be made.

rtt2 said:
The speed of the the internet is not a metric of the plant. In fact HSI only take up 1% of the total bandwidth.
What you need to know is how much the amp and taps are rated. For example CV is has a 870 MHz system using 1gh taps.
If you are referring to a an old Adelphia system then that is one that was neglected and has very large nodes. In fact I would not be surprised to see maybe 1500 homes on just one.
It really depends on what the plant and system is and how it is configured.
But the moral is that eventually it will be upgraded to provide new capacity through more node splitting amp upgrades etc and you will get the missing channels and services like digital voice, HDTV and IPTV.
Dish network cannot provide less than the full suite of premium packages because eventually churn will become so great they will have a problem. Sports and movie packages are the killer apps for programmers and constant improvement has to always be made.

I was stating HSI info for the fact that if I didn't odds are, someone would ask.

As for the other info, I know the charter system is comparable to you CV specs based on my discussions with their techs. I wasn't going to post anything indepth as I did not know what you were looking for. I believe the hard number on charter here is 850mhz, but I could be wrong. I don't know the saturation per node or the potential per node as they don't give that out easily. My gut feeling with Charter is pretty simple... They deal with a large college population here (over 40,000) and the demand for more is simply not there as the students drive low priced package demand, not high end. I believe their system can handle it though. They are currently testing VOIP in this area. I have had a few phone calls on my interest in it if it were available.

Obviously we both know about the old adelphia system then. Comcast has done pretty bad job in what I have seen. Bad PQ is the biggest issue I see as they try to cram a bunch of channels on the system that cannot handle it.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has heard speculation about Dish adding 3 more Cinemax channels since like I said it's lower than Starz for all the new movies offered plus it's going to cost as much and carries less channels.

I have a suggestion - How about E* just raises the subscription prices to $125.00 month and then we won't need price increases every year for programming, DVR fees, access fees, second or third receiver fees, ad nauseum. Dish has got nothing on Cable when it comes to nickel and diming every last customer.

jollygrunt said:
So does AEP for $89.99 now include Playboy?
Why is Playboy Latino "free" in the Latino Everything pack?

No. People clarified earlier. It would make SENSE if that were the case and would be smart of Dish.

Remember when Cinemax only had three channels? Not many people ordered it then. Just be glad they have as many channels as they do today.

Or dump it entirely and pay Mark Cuban for 5 HD premium movie channels. We're all craving it, you and I both know it Star.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)