Hbo ,Starz,Showtime has declined by 6 % over an 18month period-Netflix,Huluplus,Amazon to blame

Yes I see they are all saying they are gaining not losing subs, but I think that if that were true then why all the 1/2 price 6month promos? IF they are doing so well I would think that they wouldn't need them at all.

www.tvpredictions.com/tvtv012214.htm

I wonder if the sub numbers include someone like me that has 3 months of free premiums after reactivating my Fios account at my FL winter home. Happens every year it seems. I never actually sub to them.

I wonder if the sub numbers include someone like me that has 3 months of free premiums after reactivating my Fios account at my FL winter home. Happens every year it seems. I never actually sub to them.

I'm sure they count promos and freebies in their totals. Look at Comcast, they've been giving HBO/HBOGo with internet subs for only $5 more than plain jane internet. As a matter of fact, I went to their site to look at new customer deals and their main internet packages w/HBO was practically standard.

I'll ask the question again that I'm sure no one knows still. Does HBO et. al. get paid full price per sub when Dish or others offer freebies or discounted premiums for a short time? If so, I can see where HBO can say they have increased subs.

I have a (long) list of movies that I want to see. What I do is ook to lsee whether they are on Netflix, Amazon or will be on TV soon. When there are free previews, I record if it is in my list. A great site called mylocate.tv will alert you when these movies are on TV. Right now, I have 392 movies either recorded, will be airing soon or streaming. I have 3 hard drives with movies on them with about 1.5 TB of space available. So I always have a movie to watch which is a good thing since I watched over 200 last year and already at 34 this year.

I would love to have HBO, Showtime, etc., but it is not worth the money.

I'll ask the question again that I'm sure no one knows still. Does HBO et. al. get paid full price per sub when Dish or others offer freebies or discounted premiums for a short time? If so, I can see where HBO can say they have increased subs.

HBO gets a percentage of the Dish receipts, probably around 85 percent.

Encore has every dud movie made in the last 30 years, has really gone down hill.

I am betting that they are counting ALL subs ,even the 1/2 price promos and FREE 3months to get their numbers up. That is why they probably put out the 1/2 price promos so many times a year. They have to get their numbers up even if it is at a reduced price.

I am betting that they are counting ALL subs ,even the 1/2 price promos and FREE 3months to get their numbers up. That is why they probably put out the 1/2 price promos so many times a year. They have to get their numbers up even if it is at a reduced price.

I bet they do too, Dish probably has a large markup (I bet over 50%) so they can do 1/2 price and still make money. I wonder if it about 1/3 the price Dish charges...

HBO gets a percentage of the Dish receipts, probably around 85 percent.

I think that is way too high. I bet it is closer to $6-9. Dish gets a large mark up, hence them being able to push it so hard with 1/2 off all the time. If Dish only got 15% they would probably drop the channel. Not worth Dish's effort for a small percentage.

You only need to order hbo, showtime, etc for 1 month at the end of the season for which ever show you want to watch. They always run a marathon of the entire season right before the season finale

Well the bundling discounts of more than pay channel appear to be offsetting the households dropping the service all together.

So it looks like HBO and Cinemax count churning subscribers in their numbers. No wonder they deny that they are losing subs. Notice that HBO isn't posting their overall sub count but Netflix does. Hbo used to be around 20 million subs and Netflix is now coming in at 31.7 million.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/11/netflix-hbo-showtime-subscribers_n_4647777.html

HBO has over 28 Million subscribers. (And up to date appears have broken over 29 million) Netflix did just pass them this year but the comparison is hard to make because HBO also competes with Showtime etc on Cable/Sat. Netflix is a stand alone service. But to Netflix credit, alot of people simply do not stream much beyone Youtube so they are getting those subscription numbers despite that.

In your link NPD is now backing away from their report, and in fact have pulled the press release.

HBO numbers;
http://variety.com/2013/digital/new...-over-hbo-in-u-s-subscriber-count-1200495335/#

Last edited:
Netflix has over 31.7 million subs in the U.S. and another 10 million or so subs in international countries. Netflix is still growing and HBO is still counting churning subs and 1/2 promo subs as total subs. I think Netflix will over take HBO as the premium service that every one will want, if they keep prices LOW and they continue to add great original series tv that wins awards at the Emmys every year. If they start getting greedy and trying to add different rate plans for larger families in order to combat people sharing the service , I think that will be as big a flop as their idea to separate the dvd business from their streaming service. I only subscribe to streaming and pay only $8.65 a month with tax included. I love Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Arrested Development, etc. They also have a wide array of foreign movies and indie movies you don't see on regular premium movie channels. If I want the latest movies I watch VUDU and pay only $3.99 a movie like DISH USED to charge.

Netflix has over 31.7 million subs in the U.S. and another 10 million or so subs in international countries. Netflix is still growing and HBO is still counting churning subs and 1/2 promo subs as total subs. I think Netflix will over take HBO as the premium service that every one will want, if they keep prices LOW and they continue to add great original series tv that wins awards at the Emmys every year. If they start getting greedy and trying to add different rate plans for larger families in order to combat people sharing the service , I think that will be as big a flop as their idea to separate the dvd business from their streaming service. I only subscribe to streaming and pay only $8.65 a month with tax included. I love Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, Arrested Development, etc. They also have a wide array of foreign movies and indie movies you don't see on regular premium movie channels. If I want the latest movies I watch VUDU and pay only $3.99 a movie like DISH USED to charge.

Netflix includes their own kind of churn - there is a sizable percentage who do not subscribe every month and they are counted. (And I think should be - the type of subscriber can be noted, but they are subscribers)

As for 10 million outside the U.S. for Netflix - If you are going that route Netflix can pack up and go home. HBO has 117 million subscribers.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/netflix-likely-has-surpassed-hbo-in-paid-u-s-subscribers/

Neflix to me is young company that has yet to reach it's potential. But don't turn a blind eye to other companies that want what they feel is their share and right to provide services as they want to, I.E. the Cable companies/internet services.

Last edited:
Netflix includes their own kind of churn - there is a sizable percentage who do not subscribe every month and they are counted. (And I think should be - the type of subscriber can be noted, but they are subscribers)

As for 10 million outside the U.S. for Netflix - If you are going that route Netflix can pack up and go home. HBO has 117 million subscribers.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/netflix-likely-has-surpassed-hbo-in-paid-u-s-subscribers/

Neflix to me is young company that has yet to reach it's potential. But don't turn a blind eye to other companies that want what they feel is their share and right to provide services as they want to, I.E. the Cable companies/internet services.

I never realized that Netflix was seen outside of the U.S. till I read the article I posted and that HBO was also seen outside of the U.S. till I read the one you just posted . IF HBO has over 117 million subscribers , and they are mostly all paying full price, why do they continue to raise their already over inflated monthly price? Netflix hasn't ,yet.

I never realized that Netflix was seen outside of the U.S. till I read the article I posted and that HBO was also seen outside of the U.S. till I read the one you just posted . IF HBO has over 117 million subscribers , and they are mostly all paying full price, why do they continue to raise their already over inflated monthly price? Netflix hasn't ,yet.

More likely Dish is raising the price. It is 15 from TWC. Dish probably had to raise the price to keep giving it at 1/2 price.

More likely Dish is raising the price. It is 15 from TWC. Dish probably had to raise the price to keep giving it at 1/2 price.

Knowing DISH , you are most likely RIGHT. I hadn't thought about DISH being the one forcing the premiums to go up . I guess they could very well be forcing the price up to give it at 1/2 price. If they would just lower the price they would have a lot of people who would pay for it. At $9.00 - $10.00 I would pay for HBO, but at $19.00 or double the regular price, I will not subscribe to it again. I could sub to Huluplus and Netflix BOTH ,for that price.

Netflix tried, lost about million subs and they retreated. As for raising rates, could be greed I suppose, see how high they can go, could be they raise it, but will give 1/2 price offers for those who ask. Also could be because they do produce quite alot of original programming, they feel that is the strong attraction to HBO, and plan on even more. That's the model Netflix is going to try, and not a bad idea. But I don't know if they can produce orginal programming and keep fees to where subs will stay. But as I said, they have done a great job getting subs because there are alot of people that do not stream programming. Netflix helped change that for some anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts