HBOeHD pic quality vs HBOwHD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgothard72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Jemison, Alabama, United States
I had missed a recording of True Blood on HBOeHD and recorded it on HBOwHD. WOW, the pic quality on HBOwHD is so so much better than HBOeHD. Is it just my eyes or is the pic quality on the east feed very poor compared to west feed? Why?

Unless the HBOE was off the old channel 70, which should no longer exist, they should be almost the same.

Each transponder holds 5 HD channels, so bandwith is adjusted real time. If all 5 channels on a transponder had demanding content at once there could be slight reduction in quality by the encoders (hypothetical based on my understanding of how it works).

If later in the day the HBOwest transponder was sharing with say 3 of 4 other channels showing just SD programming with black bars that would be less demanding and the encoder would use the extra bandwith for the 2 HD channels (again, just based on my understanding, may not be correct).

That's the only way I can see them having different PQ.

This used to be commonplace on E*, and I suspect it still is. They really overcrowd the transponders and the bandwidth allocated to a channel can vary quite a bit. Even the same channel at different times of the day or different days. I used to record some movies 3 times and then watch the one with the best PQ.

It goes that when you have 8 channels sharing a transponder (vs 5), that you are going to have to employ more bandwidth shifting and that it is going to be noticeable.

I haven't noticed this nearly as much on D*. But it is possible for it to happen from time to time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts