HD 2 Rooms with 722

wahoo677

Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
US
I've read on this forum how I can use my 722 to feed two HD TVs by using both the component out and HDMI out for TV1. Before I do all this I want to make sure I understand correctly and do it right:

1. I'm going to continue to feed my HDTV in the living room with my 722 with a 6' Component.
2. I'm going to run a 50 foot HDMI cable from the TV 1 output to the new HDTV in the bedroom.
3. I'm also going to leave my old coaxial run from TV2 output on the 722 to the new TV in the bedroom and hook it into a second input on the new tv. This way I get the best of both worlds. If I want to watch HD in the bedroom I can (understanding I can't watch something different in the living room). But if the kids want to watch a show in the bedroom while I'm watching HD in the living room I just flip the 722 back to dual mode and set my tv in the bedroom to input 2 (the coax) and they watch SD in the bedroom and I watch HD in the living room (just like it was before the new TV and HDMI run).
4. Remotes: Since I now need to control TV1 via UHF from the bedroom I have a couple of options. a.)call dish and have them re-program my UHF remote to control TV1 instead of TV2. This leaves a problem when I want to watch SD over TV2 from the bedroom because it leaves me without a TV2 remote. Option b.) Buy a new 21.0 remote and program it to control TV1 from the bedroom via UHF. Use my old UHF TV2 remote only when we're in 2 tv mode when watching SD from the bedroom and leave my current IR TV remote as is for the living room.

Did I get all that right? I should mention I can run whatever cable is needed (if there's a better solution than the HDMI run) from the 722 to the bedroom as I have a large crawl space. We do NOT want to give up the 2 room DVR as we love the option to record on just the one device and choose where we watch. Lastly I'm installing an OTA antenna in the attic because we don't get HD locals yet. Don't think that matters but thought I'd mention it. Is this all the right way to do it or is there a better option? thanks for your help!

As long as you leave it in single mode, both remotes will still work. The rest looks good, although I'd suggest going with a short-run HDMI and a long-run component vs. the opposite as component holds the signal better over a long run.

I've read on this forum how I can use my 722 to feed two HD TVs by using both the component out and HDMI out for TV1. Before I do all this I want to make sure I understand correctly and do it right:

1. I'm going to continue to feed my HDTV in the living room with my 722 with a 6' Component.
2. I'm going to run a 50 foot HDMI cable from the TV 1 output to the new HDTV in the bedroom.
3. I'm also going to leave my old coaxial run from TV2 output on the 722 to the new TV in the bedroom and hook it into a second input on the new tv. This way I get the best of both worlds. If I want to watch HD in the bedroom I can (understanding I can't watch something different in the living room). But if the kids want to watch a show in the bedroom while I'm watching HD in the living room I just flip the 722 back to dual mode and set my tv in the bedroom to input 2 (the coax) and they watch SD in the bedroom and I watch HD in the living room (just like it was before the new TV and HDMI run).
4. Remotes: Since I now need to control TV1 via UHF from the bedroom I have a couple of options. a.)call dish and have them re-program my UHF remote to control TV1 instead of TV2. This leaves a problem when I want to watch SD over TV2 from the bedroom because it leaves me without a TV2 remote. Option b.) Buy a new 21.0 remote and program it to control TV1 from the bedroom via UHF. Use my old UHF TV2 remote only when we're in 2 tv mode when watching SD from the bedroom and leave my current IR TV remote as is for the living room.

Did I get all that right? I should mention I can run whatever cable is needed (if there's a better solution than the HDMI run) from the 722 to the bedroom as I have a large crawl space. We do NOT want to give up the 2 room DVR as we love the option to record on just the one device and choose where we watch. Lastly I'm installing an OTA antenna in the attic because we don't get HD locals yet. Don't think that matters but thought I'd mention it. Is this all the right way to do it or is there a better option? thanks for your help!

Everything is correct except you can use the new 21.0 to access TV2 as well as TV1. No need to use the old 6.3 unless you want to. For TV2 you'd just switch from your TVs' HDMI input to whatever channel you now receive TV2 on. I do this on my 622 and 722 with the 21.0 remote. Those 2 receivers feed 4 HD TVs exactly like you want to. We can view in SD via TV2 if the need arises, otherwise we view HD. I also got my HDMI cables from monoprice.com .
Yer welcome!

Ed

Duh..........I take that back-- you WILL need that 2nd remote to view TV2 unless you wanna take the "chip" out and turn it over from "1" to "2" as well as change the remote address to do it. Probably not.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have to use component for the short run as my receiver doesn't have hdmi. What kind of problems might I have with a 50' hdmi?

Unfortunately I have to use component for the short run as my receiver doesn't have hdmi. What kind of problems might I have with a 50' hdmi?

None. Just get a heavier cable from monoprice.com . Mine are 24awg. One is about 25', the other 40'. No problems at all and they run OUTSIDE through the nasty Michigan winter. For myself, I'd much rather run ONE HDMI as opposed to THREE component video and TWO audio. JMHO

ED

Unfortunately I have to use component for the short run as my receiver doesn't have hdmi.

HDMI to the TV, optical to the receiver? Of course this will involve an extra step in switching which device you watch, so it may not be family-approved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)