HD - A1 Audio problems, help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Palm Coast Florida
Well I just picked up the HD-A1 and have spent hours pulling my hair out. I did the firmware upgrade but for some reason I can not get 5.1 audio out. I have tried everything. The built in sound test thinks my right front speaker is my center and my surround sound speakers are my front. I even tried my calibration CD and it just does not recognise my rear speakers. The calibration CD does sort the front speakers correctly. I tried my optical cable and also no go. FYI, I do have a receiver that handles the HDMI signals, 2 in and 1 out. Also, there is nothing wrong with my receiver, sound is awesome with up-conversion DVD player. What am I missing?

ptech said:
Well I just picked up the HD-A1 and have spent hours pulling my hair out. I did the firmware upgrade but for some reason I can not get 5.1 audio out. I have tried everything. The built in sound test thinks my right front speaker is my center and my surround sound speakers are my front. I even tried my calibration CD and it just does not recognise my rear speakers. The calibration CD does sort the front speakers correctly. I tried my optical cable and also no go. FYI, I do have a receiver that handles the HDMI signals, 2 in and 1 out. Also, there is nothing wrong with my receiver, sound is awesome with up-conversion DVD player. What am I missing?

What connection are you using for audio - HDMI or 5.1 analog cables? Since you say you have an HDMI capable receiver, I'm assuming you're using HDMI. Refer to page 53 in the manual, and go to the Audio setting in the Setup menu.

The default setting for HDMI Audio is "Auto", and the manual says "Select this when an HDMI device equipped with built in Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG or linear PCM decoder is connected to the player". Other choices are Bitstream and PCM. Refer to page 53 of the manual & try different settings that may work better with your receiver.

Digital Optical Audio is also covered on page 53, and the setting should normally be on Bitstream, assuming your receiver has Dolby Digital & DTS decoders built in.

Also, the built in sound tests on the Tosh player are not reliable. Not sure what "CD calibration" you're using, but I prefer the THX Optimizer utility found on THX authored DVD's. I use the THX Optimizer included on Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith.

Don't pull that hair out! Just relax, and when you have it all set up it will be worth it. :)

Also, what kind of receiver do you have? Some AV receivers have HDMI connectors, but they only pass video through. Not all of them are capable of extracting multi-channel audio out of HDMI.

CochiseGuy said:
What connection are you using for audio - HDMI or 5.1 analog cables? Since you say you have an HDMI capable receiver, I'm assuming you're using HDMI. Refer to page 53 in the manual, and go to the Audio setting in the Setup menu.

The default setting for HDMI Audio is "Auto", and the manual says "Select this when an HDMI device equipped with built in Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG or linear PCM decoder is connected to the player". Other choices are Bitstream and PCM. Refer to page 53 of the manual & try different settings that may work better with your receiver.

Digital Optical Audio is also covered on page 53, and the setting should normally be on Bitstream, assuming your receiver has Dolby Digital & DTS decoders built in.

Also, the built in sound tests on the Tosh player are not reliable. Not sure what "CD calibration" you're using, but I prefer the THX Optimizer utility found on THX authored DVD's. I use the THX Optimizer included on Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith.

Don't pull that hair out! Just relax, and when you have it all set up it will be worth it. :)

Thanks but I have already done all that and I'm beginning to think my JVC RX-D402 is not what it says it is. I had no problems with my other HDMI components working with the receiver. My Dish 622, XBOX 360 and Toshiba up-conversion DVD player. I exchanged the A! and have the same problem, guess it time to spend more money. Thanks for everyones input.

ptech said:
Thanks but I have already done all that and I'm beginning to think my JVC RX-D402 is not what it says it is. I had no problems with my other HDMI components working with the receiver. My Dish 622, XBOX 360 and Toshiba up-conversion DVD player. I exchanged the A! and have the same problem, guess it time to spend more money. Thanks for everyones input.

I looked it up & the JVC RX-D402 looks like a pretty capable receiver. I'll bet there's some setting in the receiver you need to play with to get to talk to the A1. I couldn't tell - does the receiver have 5.1 analog inputs? if so, dig up 6 RCA cables & hook up the 5.1 analog. Your receiver should pass that straight through with no processing, only amplification (volume). If that works, be happy with it while you research the JVC's manual. I have a Sony receiver that's 4-5 years old with no HDMI. I use 5.1 analog for the DD+ audio tracks on HD DVD, and swtich over to digital optical for standard DVDs' DD or DTS audio.

ptech, tell us more about your current connections and settings, so we could help you.
Is HDMI currently the only cable connecting HD-A1 to your JVC receiver?

Looking into your receiver manual, here are some troubleshooting steps:
(assuming you are using HDMI connection only)
1. Press VIDEO INPUT on your JVC remote and select HDMI as your video input
2. Press AUDIO INPUT on your JVC remote and select HDMI as your audio input
3. Make sure HDMI is displyed on your receiver
4. Turn on your HD-A1 and make sure HDMI is selected as your output
5. Start playing an HD DVD title. Do you get any sound at all?
6. What are your current HDMI audio output settings on the HD-A1?
7. What digital decode mode is displayed on your receiver? Does it say "MULTI CH PCM"? "DTS"? Something else?
8. Have you tried any other types of audio connections (digital coax or optical)?

1. Press VIDEO INPUT on your JVC remote and select HDMI as your video input, Did That.

2. Press AUDIO INPUT on your JVC remote and select HDMI as your audio input, Did That.

3. Make sure HDMI is displyed on your receiver, Did That.

4. Turn on your HD-A1 and make sure HDMI is selected as your output, Did That.

5. Start playing an HD DVD title. Do you get any sound at all?, Only if PCM is selected and only front speakers,

6. What are your current HDMI audio output settings on the HD-A1?, Only partially works on PCM.

7. What digital decode mode is displayed on your receiver? Does it say "MULTI CH PCM"? "DTS"? Something else?, MULTI CH PCM

8. Have you tried any other types of audio connections (digital coax or optical)? Yes, tried Digital coax and optical. same result.

ptech said:
6. What are your current HDMI audio output settings on the HD-A1?, Only partially works on PCM.
PCM is the correct mode for HDMI. It is supposed to output 96kHzMulti PCM.

Here is one more thing to check: Is your HD-A1 set to 1080i mode? Does it show 1080i on the front panel?
(According to the manual correction, this (96kHzMulti PCM) output is possible only when the resolution setting is "720p" or "1080i". This will be 48kHz 2ch PCM output when the setting is "480p".)

Also, what HD DVD disc are you playing and which soundtrack have you selected? Make sure to choose Dolby Digital Plus, not Dolby TrueHD! HD-A1 can only decode 2 channels of TrueHD.

ptech said:
Yes, tried Digital coax and optical. same result.
If that's the case, let's troubleshoot the digital coax/or optical connection first. This should be easier. (I can imagine your receiver not processing multi PCM HDMI correctly, but I can't imagine it failing to decode DTS!) Here is what I would do:

1. Disconnect HDMI cable from your JVC receiver and make a direct HDMI (or component) connection between HD-A1 and your TV set. (This may not be necessary, but I would do it for troubleshooting purposes.)
2. Connect HD-A1 to the receiver with a single digital audio cable (coax or optical - either one will do).
3. Select the corresponding audio input on your receiver.
4. In HD-A1 settings make sure "Bitstream" mode is selected for Digital out SPDIF.
5. Play an HD DVD title. Make sure to select Dolby Digital Plus sound option.
6. Your receiver should detect this as a 5.1 DTS.
7. Also, try playing a regular DVD with Dolby Digital or DTS sound on it using the above configuration. This should work too.

Ilya said:
PCM is the correct mode for HDMI. It is supposed to output 96kHzMulti PCM.

Here is one more thing to check: Is your HD-A1 set to 1080i mode? Does it show 1080i on the front panel?
(According to the manual correction, this (96kHzMulti PCM) output is possible only when the resolution setting is "720p" or "1080i". This will be 48kHz 2ch PCM output when the setting is "480p".)

Yes

Ilya said:
Also, what HD DVD disc are you playing and which soundtrack have you selected? Make sure to choose Dolby Digital Plus, not Dolby TrueHD! HD-A1 can only decode 2 channels of TrueHD.

Several different movies, some HD and some regular. Where is this True HD selection. All I see on the HD DVD menu is a choice between DD5.1 and DTX 5.1. in The player there is a choice of 5.1 or 2 channel.

Ilya said:
If that's the case, let's troubleshoot the digital coax/or optical connection first. This should be easier. (I can imagine your receiver not processing multi PCM HDMI correctly, but I can't imagine it failing to decode DTS!) Here is what I would do:

1. Disconnect HDMI cable from your JVC receiver and make a direct HDMI (or component) connection between HD-A1 and your TV set. (This may not be necessary, but I would do it for troubleshooting purposes.) No audio works except analof inputs.

2. Connect HD-A1 to the receiver with a single digital audio cable (coax or optical - either one will do).
3. Select the corresponding audio input on your receiver.
4. In HD-A1 settings make sure "Bitstream" mode is selected for Digital out SPDIF.
5. Play an HD DVD title. Make sure to select Dolby Digital Plus sound option.

Did not see the DD+ option in the menu.

6. Your receiver should detect this as a 5.1 DTS.

I wish, LOL
7. Also, try playing a regular DVD with Dolby Digital or DTS sound on it using the above configuration. This should work too.

Nope

Omg

After all this time trying to figure this problem out and receiving all of your help I finally solved the problem. The JVC back panel is labeled incorrectly. The rear surround speakers are labeled surround center and the surround center are labeled surround rear. My son set it up and figured it out at our last house but failed to tell me at the new one. Only after he came home from work and I told him what he found, he commented " thought I told you that" Thanks for all your help, it works awesome with HDMI, Optical, Digital coax and yup, Analog.:D :D :D

Glad you finally solved it! What a puzzle! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)