HD-A2 or Xbox add on

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
I was thinking about getting another HD DVD player but i dont know what to get. Since I have a xbox 360 I could save 300 dollars and just get that add on, but will it be as good as the new HD-A2? What do u guys think?

I went through the same thought process. I went with an HD-A2 mainly since the 360 add on doesn't have HDMI. Not a big deal to some people and not even a real big deal to me but that was what made me go with the A2(Plus I don't have a 360 yet but plan to soon).

Mike

The proof will be in the pudding, but from the spec sheet, it looks like the HD DVD add-on is the better deal at the moment. Some significant factors that play into this assessment:

1. Video quality - If the video is poorer on the add-on (I would not expect it to be better), that would be enough to motivate many to go toward the A2

2. HDMI - The A2 has HDMI. It's not 1.3, but instead 1.2a ... but that doesn't matter for current display equipment. The Xbox add-on doesn't have HDMI, and there are no plans to add it.

3. AACS/ICT - Since the Xbox drive is sans-HDMI (and therefore HDCP), the video output could be subject to down-rez to 540p if the studios begin enabling the ICT on their titles ... none are doing this, yet.

4. Price. For me, since I also already have an Xbox 360, there are not enough advantages/added features in the A2 to spend the extra $300. If you're going to get a stand-alone player, wait another 4-6 weeks and spend another $500 (vs. the A2) to get the XA2. It will be more future-proof with HDMI 1.3, and also supports 1080p and advanced audio formats. The A2 maxes out at 1080i.

- Shane Sturgeon

I think the audio issue is huge decision factor. If you are just going to hook it up in a dorm room or something and don't have a receiver that has HDMI the 360 addon is probably a pretty nice deal.

If you care about the audio and are willing tol live with the audio decoders that toshiba provides in the A2 and you have an HDMI capable receiver the A2 would be the way to go IMO, but I don't really play that many games and down have a 360 so I am biased to the standalone player.

So you put in your HD-DVD of Pearl Harbor in your XBox HD-DVD player and it showed DTS right?

No I put my Regular DVD of Pearl Harbor in, not HD DVD, why would it support DTS for the Regular DVD and not for the HD DVD? also it was in response to your 360 cant send out DTS, I was just trying to make sure my Reciever didnt go goofy on me and say it was recieving DTS when it wasnt.

No I put my Regular DVD of Pearl Harbor in, not HD DVD, why would it support DTS for the Regular DVD and not for the HD DVD? also it was in response to your 360 cant send out DTS, I was just trying to make sure my Reciever didnt go goofy on me and say it was recieving DTS when it wasnt.

Unlike DVD, where typical players pass the audio data from the disc through to your receiver, HD DVD requires that players mix sounds from menus and such in with the audio being played for the movie. The 360 player software decodes all the above codecs in software, mixes anything that needs to go together, re-encodes it into Dolby Digital and then sends that to your receiver. So, don't be alarmed when your receiver still says "Dolby Digital" even if you've selected DTS in the menus.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2006/11/03/emergence-day.aspx

will the ps3 pass through DTS, because I am a audio fend and love DTS when it is available.

Yes as well as TRUE HD.
Here is a pic with the logos on the ps3

SCEE_PS3_detail_sidegrill__.jpg

the 360 is taking the dts and changing it someway and delivering by optical. in one review i read the guy said he could definately tell the add on was doing something to the sound and he said it was very good.i will find out wendsday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts