HD Absolute package to end August 1 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I was just told by a Dish CSR that the HD Absolute package will end August 1, and then you need to switch to one of the new HD Bronze packages. And they still are working on the programming for the Bronze packages.

I know we've speculated on some or all of these questions in various threads, but here's a list of all the things I'm wondering about Turbo HD:

1. Will existing dishHD Absolute customers be able to convert to Turbo HD?
2. Will existing non-dishHD Absolute customers be able to convert to Turbo HD?
3. Will existing dishHD Absolute customers be required to convert out of Absolute on 8/1?
4. If existing dishHD Absolute customers will not be required to convert out of Absolute on 8/1, will they be grandfathered indefinitely, or what is the date they will be required to convert out of Absolute?
5. Will there be a price change to dishHD Absolute on 8/1, if not, when?
6. Will the new HD channels that are added on 8/1 be added to dishDH Absolute?
7. If the new 8/1 HD channels are going to be added to dishHD Absolute, until what date will new HD channels continue to be added to Absolute?
8. When will we know the exact channels that will be included in the 4 B/S/G/P versions of Turbo HD?
9. Will we know the answers to the above 8 questions before 8/1 so that we can plan accordingly, if not when?

Anything I forgot?

Anything I forgot?

10. If the new channels are added to HD Absolute, will it be all channels that are possible in HD Turbo or will the RSNs still be off limits? - I am betting they won't be, but nothing has officially come out of e*'s mouth yet.

///If we are to treat the press release as fact, then they should have more info at ye ole Dish Network.com in the coming days.
More information will be available at DISH Network -- Home in the coming weeks.
(of course "weeks" is plural. there is less than 2 full weeks until Aug 1...)

Ok, I'm going to give answers based on what has been said around these forums and from various CSR's. So these answers are obviously not concrete but seem to be the consensus.

1. Will existing dishHD Absolute customers be able to convert to Turbo HD?
Edit: this may only be available to new subs.

2. Will existing non-dishHD Absolute customers be able to convert to Turbo HD?
Edit: this may only be available to new subs.

3. Will existing dishHD Absolute customers be required to convert out of Absolute on 8/1?
No

4. If existing dishHD Absolute customers will not be required to convert out of Absolute on 8/1, will they be grandfathered indefinitely, or what is the date they will be required to convert out of Absolute?
They will be grandfathered, but I'm not sure if it's indefinitely. Also, CSR's have stated that new channels will be added to the package only through the end of the year. So any new HD channels that are added in 2009 will likely not be added to this package.

5. Will there be a price change to dishHD Absolute on 8/1, if not, when?
No, price is set through the end of the year. If it changes, it will likely change on 2/1/09.

6. Will the new HD channels that are added on 8/1 be added to dishDH Absolute?
Yes, but not the premiums (HBO, Starz, etc.). You will have to add these channels separately.

7. If the new 8/1 HD channels are going to be added to dishHD Absolute, until what date will new HD channels continue to be added to Absolute?
Through the end of the year.

8. When will we know the exact channels that will be included in the 4 B/S/G/P versions of Turbo HD?
No idea

9. Will we know the answers to the above 8 questions before 8/1 so that we can plan accordingly, if not when?
No idea

Anything I forgot?
Yes, will RSN's be added to HD Absolute? The consensus is no.

Last edited:
Reading on another site, someone got a response from ceo@dishnetwork.com that read:

Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 11:42 PM
To: Xxx
Subject: RE: TurboHD

Greetings,
The Turbo HD packages will only be available to new customers as a new customer promotion. The current package you have will remain on your account and new channels available will be added to your current package. Please visit our website for more information.

Thank you,
Xxxxxx Xxxxx
Executive Communications Team
Dish Network Corporation
E-mail:
Xxxxx.Xxxxx@echostar.com

Of course I didn't get that email so at this point it is hearsay until others have confirmed.

IIRC:

TurboHD Bronze = Those HD Channels that have SD equivalents in AT100
TurboHD Silver = Those HD Channels that have SD equivalents in AT200
TurboHD Gold = Those HD Channels that have SD equivalents in AT250
TurboHD Platinum = Those HD Channels that do not have an SD equivalent.

IIRC:

TurboHD Bronze = Those HD Channels that have SD equivalents in AT100
TurboHD Silver = Those HD Channels that have SD equivalents in AT200
TurboHD Gold = Those HD Channels that have SD equivalents in AT250
TurboHD Platinum = Those HD Channels that do not have an SD equivalent.

That pretty much sucks. They must be getting killed with people switching to the HD Absolute.

No its not that...

TurboHD requires that a customer have ALL MPEG4 equipment. And that is the issue because many folks forget they have a receiver in the kids room or bedroom and then call and upgrade to a HD only package, then do it and a few days later notice the other TV's in the house are not working so they want Dish to come out and upgrade those receivers on those TV's for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)