HD Absolute VS. Turbo HD

You all make this WAY more complicated than it is.

You have HD Absolute (this is its own package)

You want HBO? Fine, its an add on.
You want HBO no more, no problem.

It doesn't or won't affect HD Absolute.

That's not what Scott says in reply 11.

Or will they say okay we can change your premiums but.... And thats what i dont understand, whats the "but" going to be? Where will they put someone that wants to change programming? Force them to take an AT100/200/250 package? It seems like they cant do that without giving every subscriber to that package any notice.

That's my question. A Turbo HD package, or an AT-Whatever package? There is no real equivalent aside from Turbo Gold + Platinum, which adds Encore+RSNs (BTN doesn't really count for me as it is an RSN for me).

I guess I'll try to drop Cinemax Thursday. My only problem is I'm in the middle of unbundling from AT&T. I haven't got my first Dish bill yet, but I wasn't billed for Dish on my last AT&T bill either. I'm not sure who's customer I presently am.

Scott's talking about HD Absolute as a package.

you can add/subtract individual stuff like CD music channels ($4.99)

HBO, Showtime, etc.

These aren't a package.

HD Absolute isn't available to add after 8/1/08, and if you take it off bye,bye.

HBO, Showtime, etc.

These aren't a package.

HD Absolute isn't available to add after 8/1/08, and if you take it off bye,bye.

Go back and read the first page. Post #6 I comment on this possibility. Post 7 someone says they don't think this is true, post 8 I comment that that's the rumor. Scott then quotes me in Post 11 saying he has heard this rumor to be true. It is ridiculous, but seems to be true. What you say is also true about not being able to go back. At least that makes some sense.

HBO, Showtime, etc.

These aren't a package.

You are wrong. Please read this entire thread before posting.
It has been stated in the past few days that retailers got information stating that ANY change involving an account with HD Absolute will automatically un-grandfather HD Absolute. When Scott was asked if this were true, he verified this in post #11, if you would look.

If you have proof to what you are saying please show us, as I for one, would like you to be correct.

Last edited:
Here is the info I recently received -

Turbo HD Job Aid on Echostar's Retailers support site. They posted a revised FAQ yesterday, it states:

Quote:
Q: Will dishHD Absolute customers who are grandfathered into the new HD Programming package be able to make changes to their accounts after 8/1

A: No. If dishHD Absolute customers make any changes to their account after 8/1, including but not limited to adding premium channels or using DishMOVER, they will lose their grandfathered programming permanently.

<<You are wrong. Please read this entire thread before posting.>>

Where do retailers get their info, instructions?

I've followed this thread from the beginning, it full of rumors, and rumors of rumors like a lot of threads here.

How many people in this thread even have HD Absolute?

<<You are wrong. Please read this entire thread before posting.>>

Where do retailers get their info, instructions?

I've followed this thread from the beginning, it full of rumors, and rumors of rumors like a lot of threads here.

How many people in this thread even have HD Absolute?

In other words, you don't know. Thanks.

I have HD Absolute, as does HDRoberts. As I posted in another thread I switch between Showtime and HBO, so this is a big concern to me, if I were to lose the HD Absolute package by switching, or I could no longer switch/add/subtract movie packages.

Retailers get their info from DISH Network, and the info I posted came from Echostar's Retailer support site. I guess you could have read that yourself....:rolleyes:

In other words, you don't know. Thanks.

I have HD Absolute, as does HDRoberts. As I posted in another thread I switch between Showtime and HBO, so this is a big concern to me, if I were to lose the HD Absolute package by switching, or I could no longer switch/add/subtract movie packages.

Retailers get their info from DISH Network, and the info I posted came from Echostar's Retailer support site. I guess you could have read that yourself....:rolleyes:

This is my last comment on this, I have Hd Absolute and am happy with it.

I'm also happy knowing if some programming comes along on HBO I would want I can get it and quit it.

You can continue to guess amongst yourselves if you like.

Good night & good luck.

I think the question is the automatic thing, I have HD Absolute and if I add Starz from the website on 8/1, what is the system going to change my basic package to? Will the self service side (website,phone,channel 100) prevent me from making changes without talking to a CSR to change out of Absolute?

For myself I decided to add HBO to my HD Absolute/Showtime subscription today. I can live being locked into $9 more a month for 6 months.

Well I think I can answer my own question, when I tried to add HBO from the website I was told I couldn't make changes and had to call in. Channel 100 would dial out and never finish loading and when I asked for Premium Channels on the phone system I was transferred to a CSR.

The CSR began adding HBO for me and told me I should use the website or phone system next time. I told her I usually do but it wouldn't let me for some reason, a moment later she put me on hold for 5 minutes before she was able to finish adding HBO.

I think the CSR had to jump through some hoops so I recommend calling now if you want to change anything.

Same for me, I switched from DVR Advantage+HD Ultimate to HD Absolute a few days back and I also can't change programming from the website..
I only care about 2 things though..

1. I have DHP for free until next January and I want to make sure if I take DHP off my account after the free period, I can still keep my HD Absolute
2. I have cinemax for a penny and I hope to keep it for a penny (was promised for 2 yrs when I signed up for paperless billing & autopay)

Ok..I'm an existing Dish Customer (about 2 years now...SD only), and I'm thinking of upgrading to an HD package.

My question is-if I can't get a HD receiver by August 1st and get their HD Absolute package...what will HD Turbo be like? What is the pricing structure? What channels do I get?

I got an email from a guy at the ceo office that I have been in contact with and he said the latest was that of 2/1/09 existing subs will be offered the new Turbo Hd only paks. He also said it is possible it could be earlier and he would keep me posted.
That's 6 months after introduction of the package and certainly sounds reasonable.

This is my last comment on this, I have Hd Absolute and am happy with it.

I'm also happy knowing if some programming comes along on HBO I would want I can get it and quit it.

You can continue to guess amongst yourselves if you like.

Good night & good luck.
Who is guessing? Every single source is pointing to the fact that you can't change anything on your account.

As a relatively new Dish sub, I switched to the HD Absolute package last week, and will enjoy about a $40 per month savings. Based on what I'm hearing here, I just cancelled my DHPP even though I had 5 months of it left for free. I think the guy thought I was crazy, but when I asked him about being bumped out of the absolute package afer 8/1 if I made a change later, he said "Is there anything else I can help you with?" Not sure if he didn't know what I was talking about or didn't want to say. Thanks to everyone for the tons of information on these forums. -Ken

I think Dish management is being very short-sided with how they are handling the new packages. I currently subscribe to the HD-Absolute package with locals and one premium package, but I would have upgraded to the "TurboHD" packages to gain access to my RSN and would have also have added the $5.99 sports package(For the Big-10 network) and would have gladly paid the extra money. What I will NOT do is go back to AT programming just to access these two sports channels and will now stay until they end the "Grandfathered" pricing on this package. I really would like to know the reasoning behind this move!

I really would like to know the reasoning behind this move!
This is pretty standard procedure.... "New" customers have always gotten the more enticing or better deals. Hell, people quit and sign in under their spouse's name or add an apt # to their address in order to get "New customer promotions". Besides, indications are that the "turbo" packages will become available to current subscribers in six months. That's better than never.

This is pretty standard procedure.... "New" customers have always gotten the more enticing or better deals. Hell, people quit and sign in under their spouse's name or add an apt # to their address in order to get "New customer promotions". Besides, indications are that the "turbo" packages will become available to current subscribers in six months. That's better than never.

I'll guess that you are saying that Dish is not extending the new "Turbo" packages to existing customers because many would drop the "SD" packages for the lower cost all HD packages if they could avoid losing access to their RSN/sports package.....you may be right! However, at a time when Dish is losing subscribers, you would think more effort would be made to retain existing customers.....who don't require another initial investment of costly equipment.....But who am I to question their stellar business strategy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)