HD Additions....

netminder32

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
via Shane Sturgeon @ HDTV Magazine, Ltd

Dish announced that it is adding 6 new Voom channels to its HD lineup as well as 2 additional HD channels:
ESPN2 and Universal HD. So as of February 1st, there will be 25 HD channels available on Dish Network with
an expected price point of $20 per month.

They also announced that be the end of this year they will be providing local HD channels in 50 markets
beginning with Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Boston ... Including Subchannels.

To top it off, all of these HD Locals, and the additional stations above, will all be MPEG4. They have further
committed to make all future additions to their HD lineup in MPEG4 only. There will be no further additions of
HD channels in MPEG2. This means that if you want to receive these additional channels, it will require a
hardware (STB) upgrade.

To support his, they have released a new series of MPEG4 STB's: the ViP Series. This series of tuners does
not yet have support for 1080p (more on that in a later article), but will support it in the future with a "easy"
upgrade path:

211 - Single Room
222 - Multi-Room - This box will decode HD on the primary TV and SD on a second TV ... with no additional
box fee (as would usually be the case)
622 - Multi-Room PVR - Same as the 222, but with PVR functionality. The first MPEG4 PVR to hit the market.
The hard drive in this unit can also be "shared" among both connected TV's ... again with no additional box fee.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...es_-_day_1.php

Last edited by a moderator:
very well written. This should help people kinda spell out the path of whats going on, I have seen tons of threads on this subject, but this is put together nicely so everyone can just scan at it and see where we are at at this point!

netminder32 said:
They also announced that be the end of this year they will be providing local HD channels in 50 markets
beginning with Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Boston ... Including Subchannels....
Not so fast, my friend. Dish says they will provide some channels (probably no subchannels) in some of those markets via satellite, and the rest OTA.

That first post needs to be edited to correct mis-information. Or at least add some comments that there has been no announcement of 50 new HD local markets being added by the end of 2006, just that 50 DMAs will eventually get HD locals (who knows when?) and only 5 VOOM channels.

mdonnelly said:
Not so fast, my friend. Dish says they will provide some channels (probably no subchannels) in some of those markets via satellite, and the rest OTA.

The information in my article came both from the press release and from the press conference given at CES. They said they will be in 50 markets by the end of the year, although they did not say if they would carry ALL of the networks. They DID say, however, that subchannels would also be carried.

- Shane

Last edited:
JimMcC said:
Are they adding any HD channels to their current HD package?

All new channels being added will be available on February 1st. However, since these are all being beamed in MPEG4, only those with the newer STB's will be able to receive them. There will be no additional HD channels added to their current (MPEG2) package. All HD additions in the future will only be in MPEG4, for capacity reasons.

- Shane

Tom Bombadil said:
That first post needs to be edited to correct mis-information. Or at least add some comments that there has been no announcement of 50 new HD local markets being added by the end of 2006, just that 50 DMAs will eventually get HD locals (who knows when?) and only 5 VOOM channels.

Hi Tom,

I have corrected the article so that the additional number of channels are accurate. Sorry for the typo/bad math. But, it was said during the press conference that 50 DMA's will have them by the end of the year, with eventual coverage of all 210 DMA's.

Update: Having just re-read the press release, I find that it now says "up to" 50 DMA's.

- Shane

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)