HD advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ckone0814

Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
I am a current Non-HD D* customer in the Philadelphia region (actually Reading). My local cable company finally just upgraded my neighborhood to digital/HD so I'm thinking of switching back to cable. I now read that D* offers Phila HD locals (I wouldnt be able to receive OTA) so maybe I can get D* to deal? Any advice on what they're giving or what I should ask for? Any current deals? Do I just call D* customer service? Thanks.

ckone0814 said:
I am a current Non-HD D* customer in the Philadelphia region (actually Reading). My local cable company finally just upgraded my neighborhood to digital/HD so I'm thinking of switching back to cable. I now read that D* offers Phila HD locals (I wouldnt be able to receive OTA) so maybe I can get D* to deal? Any advice on what they're giving or what I should ask for? Any current deals? Do I just call D* customer service? Thanks.
I don't know what you are asking, if you want locals from D* (you said you could not get OTA with an antenna), call D* and see if they are available, if so, they will turn them on and charge you $ 5. p/m

Jimbo

Last edited:
ckone0814 said:

You say Philly area, but what is your zip code and county, that is how the DMA info will be based.

or you can just look here: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018

ck, what you need is the H20 receiver and 5 line dish. The HD locals are free aslong as you are getting the SD locals from DirecTV. The current deal is $99

sorry all. i did ccheck and i know that my locals are avail in HD. i just wondered what kind of deal I could expect, if any, from D* to keep me as a customer and convert to HD. so i'd need an 5 lnb dish and h20 receiver will the $99 get me that? installed? thanks.

Then DirecTV will give it to you for free. I have been with DirecTV for a little over 2 years and they gave it to me for free so why wouldn't they give it to you. Just say some friends;) of yours got it for free.

Matt

I called D* and said I thinking about switching back to my local cable for HD but wondered what it would cost through D*. They told me they could give me a "$100 credit" and that would offset the costs to $0 upfront with free 5 lnb and free installation plus $4.99 a month for leased HD receiver and $9.99 for monthly service. When I said OK, they transferred me to install dept and the person there said he couldn't do that deal, that the person whom I talked to previously was wrong - and it was $99. I said I wanted to cancel service and suddenly he could offered $50 credit. When I asked for the $100 I was promised, he said there's no such thing. I said I'd call back. :confused:

ckone0814 said:
I called D* and said I thinking about switching back to my local cable for HD but wondered what it would cost through D*. They told me they could give me a "$100 credit" and that would offset the costs to $0 upfront with free 5 lnb and free installation plus $4.99 a month for leased HD receiver and $9.99 for monthly service. When I said OK, they transferred me to install dept and the person there said he couldn't do that deal, that the person whom I talked to previously was wrong - and it was $99. I said I wanted to cancel service and suddenly he could offered $50 credit. When I asked for the $100 I was promised, he said there's no such thing. I said I'd call back. :confused:

Keep calling back until you get a free dish. There should be no charge to you. I and many others have gotten that deal. Play csr roulette if necessary to get the deal. Good luck!

Customer Retention will set you up. Make sure they put the note on your account for what you are getting, and tell them about your previous calls and they might off you more freebies!!!

ckone0814 said:
newsposter: service elec. any experience?

I can give you 2002 experience. But do know someone on another board that has SE today if you would like some more current data. Let me know and I'll look up his name for you.

In 2002 i ran DTV and S/E side by side for one month. No doubt about it. DTV ruled for their SD pic. I canceled SE. of course since I didnt have HD and they didnt either, can't say anything about DTV in that light.

I've gotten reports of the moxi they use also and while it's no tivo, the guy said it will do for his purposes.

for channel selection (and i did a chart for comparison)..SE rules. I dont know which fox etc you get in HD but being able to get even the SD versions of lancaster is a plus in my book as I like having 2-3 versions of each network. I wish DTV would give us all those channels

I'd like to know why cable can give us so many locals and dtv cant.

also SE has more premium HD stuff. That's a huge plus if you are into that. Also, as you probably already know if you are a sports buff, SE has the comcast stuff (i think) that DTV doesn't.

channel selection goes to SE in my opinion but tivo and a good OTA setup has kept me with DTV. I use 2 Hdtivos for a huge amount of OTA. Even the SD stuff is so much better.

ckone0814 said:

FYI D* doesnt offer HD service at this time. Its all downrezzed to 1280x1080i and bitrate starved, which is NOT HD. It is absolutely the WORST picture quality choice anyone could make at this time. Only ESPNHD1 and 2 are broadcast at their native resolutions. My advice would be to run as hard and fast as you can away from D*.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
FYI D* doesnt offer HD service at this time. Its all downrezzed to 1280x1080i and bitrate starved, which is NOT HD. It is absolutely the WORST picture quality choice anyone could make at this time. Only ESPNHD1 and 2 are broadcast at their native resolutions. My advice would be to run as hard and fast as you can away from D*.

I think ABC-HD in MPEG2 is also NOT downrezzed, and I have heard conficting info regarding the MPEG4 channels - both the nets and now the RSNs.

vurbano said:

You can stop being a jerk now. We all know your m o.

He is a supporting founder....if anyone knows hd, it's vurbano. Directv is the worst hd service, that is just a sad fact.

thanks newsposter. i'm gonna go with SE i think. till it's all said and done, it's only a few $ month more and it has Comcast sports plus more HD channels (plus its a local co.).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)