HD and 722 coming tomorrow, how to maximize cabling - how to use "diplexer" ???

crenninger

Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
SF Bay Area/ CA
So tomorrow Dish is coming to upgrade my Dish for HD channel and replace my box to a 722 with Over the Air input. I was told 722k but I doubt it.

I am trying to reduce the cabling in the house, and I have just a few COAX running through the walls, I drew a diagram (see attached) but I am not sure if it will work.

so my questions:
1- What are supposed to be the "boxes" in red ? I wrote Diplexer, is this correct ?

2- is it possible to get HD channel from the TV2 output ? if not, what could be a solution to feed HD channel to TV to without getting a 2nd top box ? maybe stream HDMI through coax using an adapter ? I don't have HDTV for TV2 yet, right now it's SD. In a case of SD TV, will this setup work ?

I hope my diagram is clear...

thank you for the help.

Christian

Attachments

• Visio-DishNetworkSetup.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 685
From the Sat to the receiver, those will be separators, not diplexers.
You can not distribute HD via Coax. The only way, short or another receiver, is to run component or HDMI to the second set. Your existing wiring is useless here. The 722 feeds HDMI and component signal simultaneously, BUT the second HDTV will be a mirror of TV 1. If you want independent control of each, you'll need another receiver.

That's way too complicated to feed two TVs. You don't need a switch; it's built into the HD dish LNB. A diplexer goes between the dish and the OTA before it goes through the wall (up next to the dish is ideal), and another diplexer between the wall and the 722's seperator.

Just to get you up and running:

Sat LNB + OTA Antenna > Diplexer 1 - cable through exterior wall - Diplexer 2 < Antenna Input + Separator.

The 722 will feed HD channels to TV2, but it will be in SD resolution. No current Dish hardware supports two discrete HD outputs. You can mirror TV1 to TV2 to get HD resolution on TV2, but you lose the multi-room functionality. No reason that you can't feed the OTA signal to the second TV, though.

Once you've proven that this works, the rest can be figured out. The installer will also set up TV2, but won't run an antenna signal to it in most cases. We can help with that later.

I agree with what KAB told you.
I will add this - I'm not sure if it will work to use a single coax from your attic to the 722 to both provide OTA antenna to the 722 and then feed the TV 2 RF signal to the other TV in the house. It might work - but I have my doubts.
I've done something similar to your setup, so I'll try to explain:
-A 75ft Component cable (from monoprice.com) carries the HD signal to my second TV, allowing me to watch the same HD program on either TV.
-My Over-The-Air antenna line goes into a splitter. One line out of the splitter goes straight to the 722. The other line from the splitter goes into a combiner. The TV2 output (RF-Coax) from the 722 goes into the combiner, and then a single coax cable also runs from the combiner to the second TV. This gives me these options for viewing on TV2:
--Same HD Program as on TV 1.
--Over the air programming (HD or SD) using the antenna and TV2's built-in HD tuner.
--SD programming from the 722 that is different (SD TV2 ouput) from what is being watched on TV1.

Thanks all,
also doing more research I came across the dish network example installation and #8 matches what I want to do.

Bonus is TV2 will get over the air.

I guess next is figure out how I can run an HDMI cable from the receiver to TV2...

I attached the example below
I found it there http://www.satellite-technologies.com/images/Dish/All_Files_In_One.pdf

nice file!

Attachments

• DistributionExample8.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 219

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)