HD auto-switching to SD

I have a big one too.... :wave :biggrin
I have a little one in the attic.

OTA Antenna.JPG

I was wondering about that. I thought all our stations were in one direction.

And now I have a new issue: extremely low if not unusable signal strength on 72. I suspect my LNB since the situation is the same on two receivers.

Yes, at least until recently. I have to recheck.

I was trying to get the Hagerstown PBS station. Never did.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: TheKrell
OK, I agreed to upgrade to a Hopper 3 w/2 Joeys for an increase in monthly fee of $3 and another 2 year commitment. :eek: I now have a 722 and 2 612's. How can it go up $3? $10 DVR fee? I've been with Dish 17 years, so they waived the normal $100 upgrade fee.

GOTCHA!

You’ll have to report on the change. I like the redundancy of two HWS, but the slowness and other quirks make me wonder. But I gather trick plays while watching EHDs on the H3 are just as bad.

Honesty here. Fair warning. I just rescanned my two HWSes tonight. Each got 33 channels. They show zero signal on 26 and 5.

I have the single tuner OTA adapters on both. These are reputedly more sensitive than the dual tuners.

I think I get about 50 channels on my DVR+. I mostly use that for OTA. I’d have to check to be sure about the channel count, but it’s certainly more than the Hopper OTA adapter. And I get 26 on it.

Well, I just counted. The DVR+ gets 35. But 26 comes in just fine.

I need to train my antenna and remove the pre-amp.

The HWSes and the DVR+ are hooked up to the rooftop antenna.

I have another TV with “rabbit ears.”

I believe the ViP tuners are better.

A lot of it has to do with how the newer firmware looks at OTA signals. In the past if a scan saw a signal it would show in the guide. Now, they don't recognize it if it is below 60. I suppose the thinking is that weak signals get too many loss of signal popups and generates calls to the CSRs.

I have noticed on the newer receivers that the scan seems to go through faster than a scan on a ViP receiver, but then it tends to find fewer channels. Perhaps if they slowed down the scan to give it more time to recognize the weaker signals, the newer receivers could be as reliable as the ViP ones.

I’ve run some aiming and signal strength tests. Clearly, 26 is in a different direction than 4 & 7. When I peak for 26, which is my intention, I completely lose 4 & 7.

I’ll have to do another antenna web.

Now, onto the roof to replace some flashing and cut out the signal booster I used back when I was trying to get Hagerstown. Maybe I can find a good trade off for the channels I may actually watch.

Well, so much for my memory. I had already bypassed the booster amp.

Had to come down without putting trim back up. Shingles WAY too hot. May try again later, with a blanket to lie on and lean over.

Front digital thermometer says 86. Rear manual dial style thermometer, in the sun, says 106.

And Alexa says Mesa will hit 110 today

A lot of it has to do with how the newer firmware looks at OTA signals. In the past if a scan saw a signal it would show in the guide. Now, they don't recognize it if it is below 60. I suppose the thinking is that weak signals get too many loss of signal popups and generates calls to the CSRs.

VIP receivers still note and add stations to the guide down to below 20. That is NOT viewable on the receiver, so I guess there is no point to it.
Had to come down without putting trim back up. Shingles WAY too hot. May try again later, with a blanket to lie on and lean over.

I sympathize. Yesterday, I went up on the roof several times to replace the antenna. I went up once without gloves, and succeeded in burning the heels of both hands when climbing around. :crying

VIP receivers still note and add stations to the guide down to below 20. That is NOT viewable on the receiver, so I guess there is no point to it.
There is some point to it, if Dish carries the guide data for the distant (weaker) station, and it happens to be affiliated with the same subchannel network as a nearby station that you do receive, but Dish does not provide guide data for. That provides a quick way to check the guide for that network, before setting manual timers on the station without guide data. I have used that feature many times on ViP receivers. Of course, if Dish would actually add complete guide data for every subchannel in every market, then that would be a moot point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)