HD/BD yields

And as more discs are sold, the price will probably come down. DVDs were not $15.00 when they first came out.

But one of the things the HD-DVD camp likes to tout is that its very cheap to implement HD-DVD production on existing equipment. So they should still only cost a few bucks more than a DVD.

But one of the things the HD-DVD camp likes to tout is that its very cheap to implement HD-DVD production on existing equipment. So they should still only cost a few bucks more than a DVD.

They are talking about manufacturing a disc for HD-DVD formating not actually the cost of moving a title to the HD-DVD format, adding fuctionallity under iHD and then putting it on the HD-DVD disc for sale to the consumer. There is alot more money and processes involved then in the actual pressing of the disc to get a movie to the consumer in a high def format.

They are talking about manufacturing a disc for HD-DVD formating not actually the cost of moving a title to the HD-DVD format, adding fuctionallity under iHD and then putting it on the HD-DVD disc for sale to the consumer. There is alot more money and processes involved then in the actual pressing of the disc to get a movie to the consumer in a high def format.

I wanted to quote this, and now I am going to have the person who sits next to me at work type the following message, because for some reason my fingers fail to move when I begin to try and hit the keys...

Hi, I am Stevo's neighbor, and he is dictating what to type to me.

He says: 'I agree with JoeSP'

;)

Additionally, (speculating) the BD discs MSRP is one thing, wholesale is another, and the price you pay is a cozy spot in between, likely a bit closer or at MSRP in most cases. Retailers and wholesalers are making their money. It's not entirely HDDVDs fault they aren't cheap, and the same goes for BD, even though it sounds easier to justify the higher price for the BD media.

So they should still only cost a few bucks more than a DVD.
Maybe they do...
But the savings are not passed to consumers. :)

In the end, the link between manufacturing costs and selling price is very weak.
Recall DVD prices shortly after introduction being higher than VHS while being cheaper to manufacture.

Diogen.

I still think in the long run HD DVD will come out on top due to the name association with HDTV. The avervage joe will find it easier to compare. I still don't see any Blu Ray TVs...LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts