HD Channel Vote !

What would you Rather have in HD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man, are you kidding w/ this question...Sci-Fi all the way.

I like that we're getting more HD PPV choices, but Sci-Fi in HD is something that has been a loooong time coming (although much of its content is k-rap [how many D-movies about mutant hamsters starring 80s/90s has-beens do we need, seriously!] a lot of its original series are good).

Don't know when this will happen, as the Sci-Fi channel content they're airing on other channels in the Viacom family (read, Battlestar, etc.), coupled w/ how cheap they tend to produce things otherwise (read, those hamster movies and the 'reality' shows--all of which might not hold up in HD very well) all probably portends a little delay in this channel seeing the light of day.

Dude - it's not an either/or situation.

None of the 4 choices would interfere with Dish adding any of the others.

The HD-PPV channels will use bandwidth only when there happens to be extra bandwidth available.

I was going to put a none of the above,But I find it hard to believe that a huge amount of people don't like at least one of these choices.

Why? I have never bought a PPV. Your other choices mostly feature action/adventure type programming. We are older and tend to do quieter stuff, so I was happy when the Discovery stuff came on board. We also watch a fair batch of FoodHD. The highest ones on my list would probably be Bravo and USA.

I seldom watch SciFi and FX and its probably been three years since I chose anything on TBS.

Why? I have never bought a PPV. Your other choices mostly feature action/adventure type programming. We are older and tend to do quieter stuff, so I was happy when the Discovery stuff came on board. We also watch a fair batch of FoodHD. The highest ones on my list would probably be Bravo and USA.

I seldom watch SciFi and FX and its probably been three years since I chose anything on TBS.
Nothing wrong with that. But These are the choices for my own research. If someone wants to start a Poll with more choices of HD I would gladly vote on it. It comes down to this. Out of my choices what would you pick? If someone can't even pick one ,Then don't vote.These aren't my favorite channels,but they are some of the ones people have been wanting . PPV IMO is not What I think people are looking for.

Last edited:
This poll represents E* latest launch of 9 PPV HD channels . IMO its a step in the wrong Direction.With Netflix,and Premium channels and being able to buy these movies and own the outright.To me it doesn't pay to Give E* $4.99 or $5.99 to view a single movie in HD.I feel that E* should be giving us atleast 1 More Full Time National HD channel,What ever it maybe ,Instead of 9 HDPPV's.

Last edited:
I love Science Fiction, and watched the original Star Trek live when the first episode was broadcast. I've seen just about everything SF since then.

Despite that, I rarely watch SciFi Channel, since there is very little science fiction on it - mostly horror and fantasy.

What airs on the channel has simply horrid writing, which is especially grievous since SF novels are generally very well written.

A lot of what is called SF on TV these days is "Days of Our Lives In Space".

I reluctantly sample the new fare on SciFi Channel every year, and the only thing I watched all the way through was Farscape. It was also poorly written (a blatant ripoff of "Blake's 7"), but the art direction and acting were quite good, and gave you a sense of being in that "universe". All in all, it had a good sense of style.

More recently, SciFi aired really bad destructions of "Wizard of Earthsea" and "Flash Gordon" - the latter was actually quite unintentionally funny.

"Dresden Files" showed some promise, but soon became just another "kitten of the week" show. (That refers to shows that have unusual premises, but do nothing with them other than the usual cop or detective show story. The name comes from the classic example, "John Doe", which spent a whole season doing nothing with the premise, and one episode was actually about saving a kitten.)

If you are wondering what I liked recently in the area of SF, "Firefly" was excellent, and "Doctor Who" is pretty good...

PS Of course, programming is a matter of taste. If you are enjoying the current programming on SciFi Channel, that's great.

Last edited:
Dude - it's not an either/or situation.

None of the 4 choices would interfere with Dish adding any of the others.

The HD-PPV channels will use bandwidth only when there happens to be extra bandwidth available.
You right its not an either or ! E made its choice to add 9 PPV.When E* has extra band width? What does that mean? If they have extra bandwidth lets put a full time channel on.If bandwidth is this tight ,then keep the 9 PPV's out of the mix.

And everybody wanted NBR instead of dish on demand on their 50X receivers too. Not to be bitchy, but when DISH puts up a PPV movie they incur real costs. If nobody rents them, they will die. However, the number seems to be growing steadily, so obviously there is a market.

Not my cup of tea, but as I said previously, a lot of stuff isn't. I really do try to keep a balanced outlook.

You right its not an either or ! E made its choice to add 9 PPV.When E* has extra band width? What does that mean? If they have extra bandwidth lets put a full time channel on.If bandwidth is this tight ,then keep the 9 PPV's out of the mix.
The PPVs would share space with various sports channels like the HD RSNs. A lot of the time, there is no HD sports event on the RSNs (an obvious example is at 2 a.m.). That bandwidth would be then used for HD PPV. See the HD PPV thread for details.

As far as FX-HD, SciFi-HD, and TBS-HD, they don't exist yet (although the last has been announced). Like any other channels, Dish will add this if they feel that their HD customers are interested.

There is currently bandwidth on Dish for at least a dozen new national HD channels, maybe more than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)