HD Channels; 4:3 --> 16:9 Stretch

In all seriousness, the networks are the ones who put this crap up there and call it an "HD channel"
Oh I agree. If its a HD channel, then dang it actually have HD programming. CMT is another notorious "HD" :rolleyes: channel that has maybe an hour or two of actual HD programming a day

Oh I agree. If its a HD channel, then dang it actually have HD programming. CMT is another notorious "HD" :rolleyes: channel that has maybe an hour or two of actual HD programming a day
The whole MTV suite is pretty awful about showing more than its share of SD programming.

As some (typically DIRECTV subscribers) are keen to point out, SD looks a lot better delivered on an "HD" channel.

The whole MTV suite is pretty awful about showing more than its share of SD programming.
the only MTV channel worth watching is VH1 Classic...sadly its not in HD ;)

SD looks a lot better delivered on an "HD" channel.
if they dont stretch it, yes it does look a little better. But if they stretch it, the pic looks like hell

sam_gordon said:
BTW, everyone knows it is possible to have 16:9 SD, right? HD is ALWAYS 16:9, but SD can be 16:9 or 4:3.

I wish they'd change the distants on 241-248 to 16:9 SD. I hate it when the edges get cut off.

BTW, everyone knows it is possible to have 16:9 SD, right? HD is ALWAYS 16:9, but SD can be 16:9 or 4:3.

yep. Got a distant (OTA) fox station like that. 480i widescreen for the national programming....4:3 bbh for the rest (black bar hell). Its a subchannel off the CBS station

yep. Got a distant (OTA) fox station like that. 480i widescreen for the national programming....4:3 bbh for the rest (black bar hell). Its a subchannel off the CBS station

Our NBC station here in Sacramento does that. Their SD OTA feed airs national programming in 480i widescreen and the rest in 4:3. Dish only carries one feed (the HD feed) for both the HD and SD channels. So when I tune to the SD feed on Dish the national programming is 4:3 with the edges cut off. Basically the SD feed on Dish is the HD feed with the edges cut off. It's annoying.

reddice said:
How can anyone watch something stretched. My cousin has a CRT HDTV hooked up to a DirecTV SD receiver and everything he watches is stretched. He has a good surround system with booming sound yet the picture looks horrible. He had on Transformers with a SD picture stretched. I could not believe how bad it was. All of his sports he watches stretched too.

When I went to my doctors they had a new Vizio LCD HDTV hooked up to a SD Time Warner receiver and everything is stretched. This is what I feel like saying to these fools to not bother buying a HDTV if all you are going to watch on it is SD stretched. Waste of time and money.

The excuse is that "I paid $$ for a whatever inch TV and I don't wanna see no black bars" as I was told once.

the only MTV channel worth watching is VH1 Classic...sadly its not in HD ;)
What about PLDIA ... ch 369 ... though its an add on with the HD plus or what ever its called.. its MTV owned, nearly all the time music videos, or concerts, pretty much everythign I've tuned into has been in HD (supposed to be of course).

And ofcourse its the sad state of "naming" since MTV (like Syfy) is supposed to be Music TV .. yet they never show "Music TV" on it anymore ... and the same with Siffy .. once they changed the name, the only thing Science Fiction about it, is the crap movies they play some times with black holes ... all their good stuff is gone..

Funny .. when I was a kid I wanted MTV so badly for music videos .... when I was finally an adult, able to buy and do for myself .... MTV was not playing music videos except sometimes at night or for a few of the overnight hours ... now adays ... they may have musical shows, but it seems 99% of their stuff is just talk show or reality show programming.

History (and History International) is among the biggest offenders of stretching 4:3 content. It looks awful and we can't do a bloody thing about it. MTV was mentioned, but I have to say that MTV always seems to show content in its original format. You have to love them for that, even if they can't seem to do anything else right. ASFIK, there is no content difference among HD and SD feeds. The only difference will be if the HD channel feed is sending out 4:3 content in strecth-o-vision.

MTV now has a suite of channels of various music genres and that is where one finds the music Videos, but Charlie and all the other MVPD's do NOT want them if they can help it. MTV U has some music videos, and, more importantly, is the home of all the racy Spring Break stuff that is no longer on MTV. I wouldn't mind MTV U :).

I've seen the "purists" over at AVS argue that The Wizard of Oz is "HD" in 4:3 resolution (or maybe it was an animated/clay-mation Christmas show (Rudolph ?)).

I know this past year CBS kept touting that Rudolph was "going to be presented in HD"

What about PLDIA ... ch 369 ... though its an add on with the HD plus or what ever its called.. its MTV owned, nearly all the time music videos, or concerts, pretty much everythign I've tuned into has been in HD (supposed to be of course).

And ofcourse its the sad state of "naming" since MTV (like Syfy) is supposed to be Music TV .. yet they never show "Music TV" on it anymore ... and the same with Siffy .. once they changed the name, the only thing Science Fiction about it, is the crap movies they play some times with black holes ... all their good stuff is gone..

Funny .. when I was a kid I wanted MTV so badly for music videos .... when I was finally an adult, able to buy and do for myself .... MTV was not playing music videos except sometimes at night or for a few of the overnight hours ... now adays ... they may have musical shows, but it seems 99% of their stuff is just talk show or reality show programming.

Syfy is at present carrying 3 shows that are Sci Fi. Being Human (American version of brit show), Merlin (a brit produced show), Doctor Who (reruns). They also have started running reruns of several other Sci-Fi shows too. Many are brit productions some US. So it seems that they are trying to get back to much of the core type programming. MTV now stands for Misc TV. Haven't seen it in ages. I just now get it in the package that I have changed to. Doesn't look like much I will care for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)